News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: Springdale GC(1895, Flynn in 1926) in Princeton , NJ Reno
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2023, 11:12:06 PM »
Oh, And Ian and Wayne and Bill Crane,

I think an Island in the large bunker, short right on the all carry 11th par three would be excellent. One island bunker on each nine for fun and balance!

MCirba

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2023, 09:58:46 AM »
Malcolm & Bill,

I recall all of our related discussions quite vividly.    So glad that you guys are seeing your dreams for Springdale realized and can't wait to see the results!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2023, 10:16:15 AM »
I believe I’m talking about hole 14. Removing the trees on the hill left of the fairway would allow that area to be playable. It would be visually pleasing as well. The shot from there to the green would be a challenge. It’s a classic angled Flynn green with fronting bunkers. Free the design that is covered up.
AKA Mayday

Bill Crane

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2023, 04:18:06 PM »
I believe I’m talking about hole 14. Removing the trees on the hill left of the fairway would allow that area to be playable. It would be visually pleasing as well. The shot from there to the green would be a challenge. It’s a classic angled Flynn green with fronting bunkers. Free the design that is covered up.

Mike:
Thanks go to you for letting us check out the bunker work at Rolling Green and facilitating interaction between our Supers and our committee - Thanks ! Again.
In terms of the trees on #14 - they are Pin Oaks and nature is working on taking them down.   A few years or so and they will be gone.   That is a classic Flynn hole and green.    Reverse camber fairway - would fit in at Rolling Green!

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2023, 08:01:10 AM »
I love reading about Springdale.
It's the course where I learned to play golf - not as a member - but, as a caddy in the mid-70's. The old caddy master was the guy who made me switch from being a lefty (Canadian hockey player) to being a righty then sold me a set of MacGregor Ben Hogan irons.

Malcolm and I grew up together and i would ride my bike there and wait in the small caddy yard for a loop.
The "local caddies" were old guys from Trenton who drove up in a Dodge Dart like they owned the place.

Great to hear that Ian Andrews' vision is finally being implemented.

I last played SGC about 5 years ago. It was severely "over-treed" but with great bones.

Cant wait to see the results when I next visit my mother there.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2023, 10:05:30 PM »

This image comes from the club....

4th Green and Fairway Bunkers

what was there before ... I only have ground photos
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2023, 11:06:21 PM »
Since Ian has chimed in...

Sorry, not architecture related but fond memories....

Ian and I used to wager a large scotch whiskey on the rocks to whomever could drive the current 14th green. Hello Mike Malone/Mayday as that is the hole you want the tree removal off the left side hill which would make the hole much more reachable with a driver.

Dean Chase, a former President of the club, threw his bag into the pond between the current 16th and 17th holes in a rage after a foozled shot. I think he waded in after hours to retrieve it.

James Varney was famous for his "whirlybird" thown clubs after a foozle.I think that one was lodged among tree limbs for years.

mike_malone

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2023, 08:58:54 AM »
Since Ian has chimed in...

Sorry, not architecture related but fond memories....

Ian and I used to wager a large scotch whiskey on the rocks to whomever could drive the current 14th green. Hello Mike Malone/Mayday as that is the hole you want the tree removal off the left side hill which would make the hole much more reachable with a driver.

Dean Chase, a former President of the club, threw his bag into the pond between the current 16th and 17th holes in a rage after a foozled shot. I think he waded in after hours to retrieve it.

James Varney was famous for his "whirlybird" thown clubs after a foozle.I think that one was lodged among tree limbs for years.

Malcolm,

That’s good if someone tries to drive the green. It’s a high risk shot. The normal golfer though would have an interesting one.
AKA Mayday

Ian Andrew

« Reply #33 on: November 25, 2023, 06:50:00 AM »
Thought I'd provide a final update.
The work is complete. Just a little sod work left to go.

Below is 2nd green, Cleveland Tower, 3rd fairway, 4th,17th, 12th, the top is 16th, right is 15th and 13th.

Thought some might be interested in the details.

The sand faces come all the way up to the green surface and the
edge of the bunker is tight to the collar.
There is a bullnose turf detail and the top that will be cut at step cut height.
The interior is Capillary Concrete with a liner detail to address moisture for moisture
The detail is to minimize washouts and prevent erosion to the interior of the bunker.

17th left side bunker

« Last Edit: November 25, 2023, 06:56:35 AM by Ian Andrew »
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back