News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V. Kmetz

R.I.P. - Andy Bean
« on: October 14, 2023, 06:07:42 PM »
Saw a news report saying he passed, dealing recently with complications from double-lung replacement, which the report said was a condition stemming from CoVid.

He started his pro career about the time I was becoming aware of golf, and always had the big hitter reputation in those days. In the salad days of the Westchester Classic, my aunt used to put up her local digs for players, caddies or officials and Bean's caddie stayed with her two of those years, which led to personal meeting with Bean at the course.
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Joe Bausch

Re: R.I.P. - Andy Bean
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2023, 07:36:13 PM »
Sad news indeed. Seems he was always on the leaderboard as I was getting into golf in the mid to late-70s.

RIP, Mr. Bean.

More on this:

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/news/andy-bean-11-time-pga-tour-winner-dies-after-recent-lung-replacement-surgery
« Last Edit: October 14, 2023, 07:38:42 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim O’Kane

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2023, 10:23:49 PM »
Sad news indeed. Seems he was always on the leaderboard as I was getting into golf in the mid to late-70s.

RIP, Mr. Bean.

More on this:

https://www.nbcsports.com/golf/news/andy-bean-11-time-pga-tour-winner-dies-after-recent-lung-replacement-surgery
True Joe. When I was just starting playing at the ripe age of 9 or so, in the mid to late 70's, he was always on the leaderboard.

He was also the first human being I saw that hit a ball so far, I could no longer see it. That happened on the range at the Western Open in the late 70's.

RIP Andy

Tim Leahy

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2023, 12:08:43 AM »
I've got a great Andy Bean story. Don't remember the year but they moved the LA Open to Rancho Park where I used to play alot so I went out there for a Friday round. Andy was paired with the leader and was not going to make the cut. He hit a drive left into the trees and it landed between two roots. I was in the crowd surrounding the shot and somebody asked Andy "How are you going to hit that lie?" Andy looks at it disgusted and says in a Florida drawl "At this point of the round I just want to get my ass in the clubhouse!" He without a practice swing smashes an iron through both roots sending wood chips flying and the ball near the green to a shocked crowd and storms off.  :D
RIP Andy.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Richard_Mandell

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2023, 10:28:22 AM »
I also got to interact with Andy Bean at the Westchester Classic and he was one of my first instant favorites.  He will be missed.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back