News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Forrest Richardson

Re: How close is too close?
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2023, 02:56:57 PM »
45 feet is plenty until someone gets killed or injured. Then, Mike Hurdzan or I will get a call and have to explain that we cannot possibly defend the club. I am certain the members may feel it is OK, as none of them carry insurance that most golf architects have to maintain. I'm all for proximity and convenience — but in this case you are not building the green based on golfer-to-golfer proximity, but families pushing strollers, people who don't even play the game and staff who may not understand the cry "FORE". There is a huge difference between set-backs within the course, and from the course to areas other than other holes.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Chris Hughes

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2023, 11:08:20 PM »

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2023, 05:51:59 AM »
They are countless courses in the UK with out of bounds/the clubhouse almost next to the green.

It does not make it right though if someone is injured, that is where the problem starts.

An insurance company may/almost certainly will raise your premium and make suggestions to mitigate further problems.

You will get away with 1 claim but it triggers very high premiums or high excess (you have to pay the first £$£$£).

A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2023, 08:57:51 AM »
I just returned from Cabot Cape Breton. The 18th green on the Links course is so close to the restaurant, I could read the putts. If the player misses left, he hits it. Our caddie told me that left-handers that slice hit it over the restaurant.

The shot into the green is from 160-180 yards, so finding the green is tough for most players. I was told that the tees might be pushed back to make it a par five, so the shot into the green will be shorter.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2023, 09:12:44 AM »
I just returned from Cabot Cape Breton. The 18th green on the Links course is so close to the restaurant, I could read the putts. If the player misses left, he hits it. Our caddie told me that left-handers that slice hit it over the restaurant.

The shot into the green is from 160-180 yards, so finding the green is tough for most players. I was told that the tees might be pushed back to make it a par five, so the shot into the green will be shorter.

Yeah, I remember when I was at Cabot just after the clubhouse was built. I was _amazed_ how close it was. It looks great but it scared the crap out of me.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back