News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: The LaCava incident. How would you have reacted?
« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2023, 08:08:50 AM »
"Rory but he does let his emotions usurp common courtesy more often than he should."

Could you share some examples of this? I've never heard anyone complain about Rory's actions on the course.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 10:32:57 AM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Mark Pearce

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2023, 08:32:17 AM »
"Rory but he does let his emotions usurp common courtesy more often than he should."

Could you share some examples of this? I've never heard anyone complain about Rory's actions on the course.
I'd also be interested in examples.

And since Mike also agrees that the European fans are held out by our media as angels, perhaps he'd like to share some examples of this, since Eric has been unable to.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2023, 08:22:56 PM »
And since Mike also agrees that the European fans are held out by our media as angels, perhaps he'd like to share some examples of this, since Eric has been unable to.
Wrong word there in the bold, Marc. You meant "unwilling." And you missed the tweets which expressed a similar sentiment.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Mike Schott

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2023, 09:47:11 PM »

Not so much on the course but he is not shy about sharing his feelings and there are times when he could be more discreet. Mind you, I am a fan of Rory. My larger point is it was not just the American team acting up.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #79 on: October 10, 2023, 03:51:07 PM »
LaCava acted like an ass. Does anyone argue that?
No one wants to answer this?

I enjoy the partisanship of the Ryder Cup.
Outside the ropes, hoop and holler all you want-in person or in the media.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #80 on: October 10, 2023, 04:02:16 PM »
Maybe I'm old and stuffy, but doesn't anyone want to admit that the actions of the Ryder Cup fans are a bit over the top?
I worry about Bethpage.  Might be a total circus.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #81 on: October 10, 2023, 08:29:17 PM »
Not to speak for him but the only person who I believe went to the cup who posts on this board said the fans were NOT bad.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #82 on: October 10, 2023, 10:19:31 PM »

Couples, who was greenside when it went down, said he didn't see anything disrespectful.

"“I want someone to tell me where anything that happened is disrespectful,” Couples said. “I didn’t see it. Patrick screamed, which he doesn’t do very often and he tipped his fake cap. We all were on the front of the green. No one moved. We just took our hats off and made little circles with our hats."

https://golf.com/news/fred-couples-rory-mcilroy-joe-lacava-dust-up/
« Last Edit: October 10, 2023, 11:11:07 PM by Kalen Braley »

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2023, 01:31:51 AM »

Couples, who was greenside when it went down, said he didn't see anything disrespectful.

"“I want someone to tell me where anything that happened is disrespectful,” Couples said. “I didn’t see it. Patrick screamed, which he doesn’t do very often and he tipped his fake cap. We all were on the front of the green. No one moved. We just took our hats off and made little circles with our hats."

As I posted earlier in the thread,  he does now admit that Brookline in 1999 was wrong  ::)

jeffwarne

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2023, 08:47:04 AM »
Not to speak for him but the only person who I believe went to the cup who posts on this board said the fans were NOT bad.

Well I wasn't on every hole, but was out there two days, around many tees and greens, and near the massive grandstands on #1.
Sure I saw waving hats and a lot of cheering, but nearly everyone I saw waving hats had a smile on their face.
I never heard anything as bad as one might hear at a Wasted Management event.
I saw far more creativity and imagination with songs and costumes than I saw poor behavior.
Surely some/most of these players played high school or college spectator sports where the crowd was more directly involved. I remember having my arms held, and the refs whistle swallowed, as I attempted to inbound a ball from a packed sideline in a gym with 2500 fans where capacity was 1200. Playing away isn't supposed to be easy.
I did see clapping/cheering for a missed putt, but in a match, I think of that as cheering for your guy/side/hole outcome, not negative jeering, and not mean spirited.
I mean if you're playing in front of 50,000 people, and can't stomach someone clapping or cheering when you miss a 10 footer, you're probably not going to win many away matches. I see that as cheering for YOUR team, not as cheering against you.

The home advantage was severely exaggerated by the abysmal flat zero energy start the US had on Friday morning, and any fan enthusiasm that was mustered for the afternoon was completely muted by their almost inevitable feeling fold on the late holes in the afternoon.
It was hot, and walking outside the ropes was brutal, and if the players couldn't muster any enthusiasm, why would the fans?
These guys are all incredible players, the best in the world, but the body language belonged to the Euro players, and this spread over to the fans and the American fans(including me-right or wrong) felt like there just was nothing to cheer about.
Call me a fair weather fan, but I call it like I see it.
The Cup was lost on Friday afternoon when we up in three matches, looking to claw our way back, and squandered those multi holes late leads into three ties,losing the 18th hole, which felt completely inevitable, in every match.

I will say Sunday around 3:00-4:00 local time there actually felt like there was a chance IF we could turn the last 2 matches, and some US fan energy emerged, but I'd say this had a lot to do with The American players actually looking positively engaged albeit for a brief moment.

Something was weighing on the players-no idea what it was, but they just looked down almost the entire time.

I just think the culture needs to change.
Tiger at Bethpage would be fine-he's Tiger,
then, for 2025 how about a new set of Captains who have never been on a losing RC team.
The more inexperienced the better(no negative energy), or give us Larry Nelson.
I mean at this point, why not try something different on the road?

As far as pay, I DO believe the players should be paid, but that may be an issue the players(on both teams) need to take up with their respective tours.
The PGA of America does now cut the PGA Tour in.
Regardless of my opinion on pay,(or anyone else's) anyone selected for the team should agree to accept the current arrangement as it stands at the point they accept their invitation to play. Or simply don't accept.

In other words, work it out over the next 18 months, and allow NO discussion of pay the week of the event.
We just looked so petty.

Put another way, would ANYONE have noticed if Schauffele and Cantlay had boycotted and been replaced by Lucas Glover and Keegan Bradley?
My guess is we might've had a different energy/vibe, but that's secondary, as the Euros played great, especially down the stretch each day, and deserved the win.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2023, 10:45:35 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

archie_struthers

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2023, 09:02:35 AM »
 8)

Caddies are an integral part of the game , particularly at this level. That being said their job is to support and protect their player at all times. They should not be a spectacle or interfere with any other competitor IMHO

David Cronan

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2023, 11:42:24 AM »

Kalen,

LaCava carried Couples bag for 2 decades so it's not unreasonable to think that Couples would back his longtime looper and friend.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2023, 11:57:29 AM »

Kalen,

LaCava carried Couples bag for 2 decades so it's not unreasonable to think that Couples would back his longtime looper and friend.

David,

Its not my fault, Peter provoked me.  ;D

P.S.  I certainly knew of Freddie's longtime relationship with Joe, but was a bit cringe to hear him say this.  I think Fred has a lot of great takes/opinions, especially in the last few years with the LIV feud, Tiger's status, and the state of golf in general, but perhaps he could have just gone with no comment on this one.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2023, 11:22:35 PM »

Admittedly, I'm a Rory fan.

No harm, no foul.

That said, if "acting like an ass" is the line in the sand, well...  :D   (ask Chubby, Conor, Caroline, JP, etc)

Chris Hughes

« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2023, 11:55:01 PM »

"Might" does not enter the equation... :o

I can envision a scenario whereby the UK/Euro captain will pull his players off the course mid-round...it's gonna be insane.

Heck, the normally staid US Open tennis tourney was off the hook this year with all the drunks and weed smoking  :D .

https://nypost.com/2023/09/04/tennis-fans-fed-up-with-drunks-at-us-open-happy-gilmore-but-tennis/

https://nypost.com/2022/08/31/nick-kyrgios-complains-about-smelling-marijuana-at-us-open/

https://nypost.com/2023/08/28/maria-sakkari-smells-weed-during-us-open-loss-to-rebeka-masarova/

Rob Marshall

« Reply #90 on: October 18, 2023, 09:41:59 AM »

"Might" does not enter the equation... :o

I can envision a scenario whereby the UK/Euro captain will pull his players off the course mid-round...it's gonna be insane.

Heck, the normally staid US Open tennis tourney was off the hook this year with all the drunks and weed smoking  :D .

https://nypost.com/2023/09/04/tennis-fans-fed-up-with-drunks-at-us-open-happy-gilmore-but-tennis/

https://nypost.com/2022/08/31/nick-kyrgios-complains-about-smelling-marijuana-at-us-open/

https://nypost.com/2023/08/28/maria-sakkari-smells-weed-during-us-open-loss-to-rebeka-masarova/

Perfect, more fuel for the Ugly American stereotype. Ryder Cup is the first event to have there.....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back