News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: Is there a more over-hyped even in golf than the Ryder Cup ….
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2023, 02:50:21 PM »
Couldn’t help thinking about Lanny Watkins on Sirius this week after seeing Love, Couples, Furyk, and I think it was Stricker sitting around the 18th green. Lanny said when he was captain at Oak Hill he had no assistant captains. He just had his brother Bobby there to help him out. What are all these guys actually doing?

Am I the only one who wonders why Zinger has no involvement with the team since he won?

Is it too late to bring in Larry Nelson or Raymond Floyd?

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2023, 03:15:01 PM »

Is there a guy on the European team you wouldn’t want to sit in a pub and have a few beers with?

There is one dude a bit young for me.

Jim Sherma

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »

Is there a guy on the European team you wouldn’t want to sit in a pub and have a few beers with?

I’ve always thought the Euros were more like able on many levels.

Who on the American team would you want to hang out with? I’m sure some of them are decent guys but I get the sense that many of the Euros have a lot more fun around the game.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2023, 07:13:10 PM »
How does Patrick Cantlay not tell his caddie to shut up. He should never be talking and giving shit to a player.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2023, 09:09:05 PM »
Maybe Bravo should televise the next one. Soooooo much drama and cattiness.

jeffwarne

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2023, 09:49:05 PM »
Couldn’t help thinking about Lanny Watkins on Sirius this week after seeing Love, Couples, Furyk, and I think it was Stricker sitting around the 18th green. Lanny said when he was captain at Oak Hill he had no assistant captains. He just had his brother Bobby there to help him out. What are all these guys actually doing?

Am I the only one who wonders why Zinger has no involvement with the team since he won?

Is it too late to bring in Larry Nelson or Raymond Floyd?

Lanny had it right.
Surrounding oneself with the Ghosts of Failed Chistmas Past has become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Anyone wonder why the US rookies have the best records every year?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2023, 10:00:06 PM »
They need to get their heads out of their ass about getting paid. Other highly paid athletes at least don’t dress like assholes on the field. The Ryder Cup uniforms have done everything bad but leak.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2023, 10:18:49 PM »

This is exactly why I hate this event. Everyone gets precious.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

mike_beene

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2023, 11:11:02 PM »
Maybe someone who has been to a Ryder Cup can fill me in: how much golf do you actually see? Looks like a boring day with very few matches and a lot of people.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2023, 11:21:46 PM »
This is the Ryder Cup?   I thought I was watching a "silly season" golf event.  I guess that explains the goofy color scheme uni's?
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Thomas Dai

Re: Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup ….
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2023, 03:29:00 AM »
In view of what took place yesterday evening on the 18th green and later on elsewhere a revisit to the original post would seem to be in order ....

"Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup … and is the level of hyping-up of events like it, the Solhiem Cup, the various Majors etc etc and all the various other activities that these days seem to go with them actually doing a detrimental disservice to golf?"

From this ...

To this .....

atb

David Kelly

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2023, 05:11:57 AM »
Cantley was incredible on those last three holes today.

It’s not good when caddies become part of the storyline.

All of them.

The whole event seems insufferable but since it is basically over each day before I wake up I've only read about it.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Sean_A

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2023, 05:40:32 AM »
In view of what took place yesterday evening on the 18th green and later on elsewhere a revisit to the original post would seem to be in order ....

"Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup … and is the level of hyping-up of events like it, the Solhiem Cup, the various Majors etc etc and all the various other activities that these days seem to go with them actually doing a detrimental disservice to golf?"

From this ...

To this .....

atb

But yer in front of the tv?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark_Fine

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2023, 07:18:48 AM »

The competition is great, and as a few have said, I love seeing the best in the world deal with the pressure of this event.  I am always impressed with how Europe acts liked a unified team and not just a group of individual superstars.  They have a way of playing for each other vs for themselves and they show class win or lose and won’t blame the captain or someone else if they don’t come out on top.  I think the Ryder Cup is good for golf.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »
If you think Primetime won yesterday you might convince yourself of a USA victory.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »
Is there a guy on the American team who comes off as a jerk more than Keopka? It is impossible for me to root for him. I hope he plays Rahm in the singles and gets his as kicked.

Not to mention he appeared to be the worst putter on the planet this competition. Didn't seem to care at all.
Bonus minus points for not removing his cap after his singles match today.

Rob, close second is Justin Thomas. Hope the memes of him doffing an imaginary cap all day curses him for eternity.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2023, 11:16:50 AM »
Where’s the dad of Thomas? I always look forward to his presence.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2023, 11:20:39 AM »
It amuses me that Americans say they hate the event when it is clear they're going to lose.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2023, 11:45:58 AM »
As an American, I thoroughly enjoyed watching the Euros give them a proper beatdown. Such a whiny, pompous, FIGJAM-ish group that definitely had it coming.

Put me down as well as one who would love to have a drink with the Euros....and none of the Yanks.

P.S.  I don't understand the Ryder Cup hate on this forum, its almost as a bad as the latest Golf Ranking List bitch-fests.

David Cronan

« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2023, 12:25:05 PM »
I LOVE the format and the matches. Always have, probably always will.

I've not cheered for a team since Seve captained in 97. I figure each guy on the teams has traveled a pretty special journey that has culminated in being in this event. Granted, there have been a handful participants I've not cheered for (Paging Patrick Reed and Paul Zinger, table for 2) but all in all, I cheer each player.

I HATE the corporate plugs/commercials. Captains Cart Cam provided by Rolex. Sportsmanship Award presented by AON. TopTrackTracer Technology provided by..I dunno. On site Shitters presented by Doodie Calls.

I HATE the excuses. It seems like every year, folks on my side of the pond come up with any number of excuses/Task Forces to explain how and why Europe somehow managed to win, yet again. How about they play better?

Rant over, what a great day of golf today. Tremendous play on both sides.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2023, 12:38:18 PM »

Jordan Spieth wants the Ryder Cup moved up the schedule.

Asked about the five-week break between the Tour Championship and Ryder Cup, he says he would rather have a week or two off and then go into it.

“I prefer to play while I’m feeling sharp.”

MAJOR LOL

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #71 on: October 01, 2023, 12:40:28 PM »

John Connolly

« Reply #72 on: October 01, 2023, 03:04:57 PM »
It's grotesque. Over-hyped. Over-done. The LaCava - McIlroy blowup wasn't the disease - it was the symptom. Ryder Cup needs a reset.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Jim Hoak

« Reply #73 on: October 01, 2023, 03:22:25 PM »
I agree with the reset idea.
US team--and US golfers--just don't seem to put as much emphasis or interest in the event as the Europeans do.  Spieth says the US team is not sharp because it so far after the US Tour ends--and the Silly Season has begun.  Probably so.
But if the Ryder Cup really mattered more to the US, the US team would stay sharp--play at the Cup site, play European events, play Fall Silly events, etc.  US players don't do it, because the Ryder Cup is just not as important to them as their personal schedules.
Let's either accept that and accept defeat, or change the date, or reset it in some other way--or just forget it.
Embarrassing to just not care enough!

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #74 on: October 01, 2023, 03:29:23 PM »
PGA of America should sell it to PIF.  If they don’t PIF will put it out business by scheduling a competing event.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back