News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Kiely

Re: Is there a more over-hyped even in golf than the Ryder Cup ….
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2023, 05:06:15 PM »
The group think on this site seems to have always been, "I only watch the majors, everything else is so pedestrian" until today, BAM!, Thomas Dai raises with essentially, "The Ryder Cup sucks."

Never before did I realize how uncool it is for golfers to like golf.

The only golf I watch are majors east of the Mississippi in odd numbered years played on courses by architects who died at least a century before my birth. On mute, of course.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2023, 05:13:41 PM »
Roll on Rory, Viktor, Jon, and teammates.
The event may be overhyped but a Euro victory is always satisfactory.

Andy Shulman

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 05:55:51 PM »
The group think on this site seems to have always been, "I only watch the majors, everything else is so pedestrian" until today, BAM!, Thomas Dai raises with essentially, "The Ryder Cup sucks."

Never before did I realize how uncool it is for golfers to like golf.

The only golf I watch are majors east of the Mississippi in odd numbered years played on courses by architects who died at least a century before my birth. On mute, of course.

Take a bow, Mark. Hilarious post!

At least the Solheim Cup is usually competitive.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2023, 06:22:03 PM »
Yeah, but it’s also got a sodding POND!  ;D
PLUS,
Three hundred and sixty minus twenty three point five leaves, ehm, let me see, take away the five, divide by eight, carry the seven…ehm, quite a lot of the compass to play with.  ;D

How dare you use my math against me!
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2023, 07:22:39 PM »
Warning: Architectural Post.
Can any golf course where the 18th hole runs directly into the setting sun EVER be considered great?
Asking for a friend,
F.

Yes, but it's damn annoying in the winter.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rob Marshall

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2023, 07:25:06 PM »
Is there a guy on the American team who comes off as a jerk more than Keopka? It is impossible for me to root for him. I hope he plays Rahm in the singles and gets his as kicked.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2023, 08:18:20 PM »
Reminds me of 1997 Valderrama when I made a healthy bet on the underdog Europeans. Watched Sunday in comfort at the Doak 4 Nefyn & District after a thrilling 27 hole day.
Either need to play it earlier (for longer days and a higher sun on the 18th or rejiggle the PGA Tour schedule to have the Tour Championship later, or split up.
Wasn't planning on watching. If I did it would be three 10-hour days in a row in the recliner.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2023, 08:26:52 PM »
I think the Ryder Cup is boring, hard to watch, no continuity,
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

jeffwarne

« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2023, 10:27:17 PM »
Is there a guy on the American team who comes off as a jerk more than Keopka? It is impossible for me to root for him. I hope he plays Rahm in the singles and gets his as kicked.

Fair comment.
Rahm is often petulant(he was yesterday) and Koepka's, well......
But Rahm has many redeeming personality traits outside the heat of battle.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_beene

« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2023, 11:02:40 PM »
I am still not sure who the host, rapper, and American celebrity were at the opening ceremony. I suppose due to my age. But it didn’t look like many of the players had a clue either. Of course I recognized Jocivich but I can’t spell his name. I am afraid—though born in Europe —I taste of America (in the words of that great philosopher Ricky Bobbie).

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2023, 03:10:14 AM »

Is there a guy on the American team who comes off as a jerk more than Keopka?

Only because Tiger is not there.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2023, 03:43:05 AM »
Has anyone ever clinched it on a Saturday?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

jeffwarne

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2023, 05:08:48 AM »
Has anyone ever clinched it on a Saturday?

The death knell of  LIV Tour players in the Ryder Cup?
Whoa.......Takes two to tango, but wow.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2023, 08:03:26 AM »
If they're truly as ill as they're hinting at, then I'm writing this one off entirely. I'm also never (I didn't this time around, even after Whistling Straits) favoring the USA in Europe again until they win big a few times in a row over there or something.

You can talk all you want about strategy and stuff, but the U.S. team has played like absolute butt. Period, point blank. Worse than an average PGA Tour player.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

David Cronan

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2023, 11:14:15 AM »
I just tuned in to watch, only to see Brian Harman take 8 practice swings and 13 waggles over a chip shot. I've heard nothing but good things about him but after watching this performative art, I think I'll head down and clean my boat instead.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2023, 11:54:47 AM »
Lol he's a waggler. Grinder first, waggler second.

This Zach Johnson/Jordan Spieth exchange is the epitome of the Americans in Europe shit show. The real performance art of this event has been ZJ becoming the new gold standard in a long line of unintentionally hilarious US captaincies.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2023, 12:02:06 PM »
We should note that Wagglin' Ass Harman closed out his match with about 3 holes open behind him to the Rose/Mac/Spieth/Thomas group.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

David Cronan

« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2023, 12:04:49 PM »
We should note that Wagglin' Ass Harman closed out his match with about 3 holes open behind him to the Rose/Mac/Spieth/Thomas group.

Touche. That group you mentioned blazed around 16 holes in exactly 5:05.

Now I'm definitely going down to my boat.....

Jason Thurman

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2023, 12:10:48 PM »
I want to walk away and I just can't. Given its incredible track record, I'm embarrassed that I'm only just realizing that the Ryder Cup is the all-time greatest hate-watch in American sports.

Tim Martin

« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2023, 12:43:08 PM »

Now I'm definitely going down to my boat.....

https://youtu.be/VGpQej3o9eo?si=ZZV5_Yo87SuYFax3

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2023, 12:46:51 PM »
Boy, you guys can complain. I enjoy watching how guys comport themselves, control their emotions, and manage their games in the contest we call the Ryder Cup.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2023, 01:32:10 PM »
Boy, you guys can complain. I enjoy watching how guys comport themselves, control their emotions, and manage their games in the contest we call the Ryder Cup.

Well said...I stayed up late last night (West Coast) for an hour of play, and got up early this morning to keep watching.  Texting galore among friend groups.  No other golf event brings that out.

Was glad that cap-less Cantlay (who knows what the truth is about that controversy) made his putt to make the singles matches tomorrow a bit more interesting.

Aberg and other young Euro players are fun to watch.  And Justin Rose made the putts!
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Bill Brightly

« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2023, 01:56:42 PM »
Can NBC get a producer who knows something about golf??? Saturday afternoon session, they show every shot of the first two matches when USA has big leads, and hardly any of the very close 3rd and 4th matches which were critical if the Americans were to have a chance to make Sunday interesting? Ridiculous.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2023, 02:19:31 PM »
I thought the British loved to gamble. Are you guys cleaning up on the apps? Florida is not the degenerates utopia the media plays it out to be. Sports betting on the apps isn’t legal.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2023, 02:43:32 PM »
Cantley was incredible on those last three holes today.

It’s not good when caddies become part of the storyline.

Is there a guy on the European team you wouldn’t want to sit in a pub and have a few beers with?

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back