News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin Pallier

Re: Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup ….
« Reply #150 on: October 09, 2023, 05:06:47 AM »
Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup … and is the level of hyping-up of events like it, the Solhiem Cup, the various Majors etc etc and all the various other activities that these days seem to go with them actually doing a detrimental disservice to golf?
Atb

As a neutral observer (from Australia) - I enjoyed it - I even stayed up all night on the last day to watch the singles. I thought the course was great for that style of event.

I think the Presidents Cup really struggles by comparison. It just doesn't have the history - plus the US have won virtually every event. The ROW need to win a few to make it more interesting. Does GB&I vs US in Ryder Cup (pre Europe introduction) ring a bell? The good thing about the PC it gets some of the best golfers in the World to the Sandbelt every now and then and see how they tackle it. I look forward to seeing how they go around Kingston Heath in a few years time.

Rob Marshall

John_Cullum

« Reply #152 on: October 09, 2023, 12:17:52 PM »
Who pays the caddies? How much?
Raynor was a hack

David Cronan

« Reply #153 on: October 09, 2023, 04:11:39 PM »

For those who are working the bags for the American team, I would imagine the PGA of America pays for their services, given a per diem, transportation and housing.

John_Cullum

« Reply #154 on: October 09, 2023, 09:19:36 PM »

For those who are working the bags for the American team, I would imagine the PGA of America pays for their services, given a per diem, transportation and housing.

But that's just a wild guess. Why is no one other than me asking?
Raynor was a hack

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #155 on: October 09, 2023, 09:38:00 PM »
But that's just a wild guess. Why is no one other than me asking?
https://www.essentiallysports.com/golf-news-do-the-caddies-get-paid-at-the-ryder-cup-perks-and-benefits-of-being-a-henchman-in-the-patriotic-battle/

You can find other articles that point out that they're paid and get other perks, too.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

mike_beene

« Reply #156 on: October 09, 2023, 10:31:20 PM »
Kevin: The President’s Cup is the easier to watch of the two and seems much more sporting. The only thing that might be addressed—Americans generally don’t like the clowns who run for and become the president and I presume the ROW feels the same—so the loser should be forced to take the cup and have a White House visit.

Mike Schott

« Reply #157 on: October 12, 2023, 09:28:26 PM »
Here you go AG.........................I guess where there was smoke............

https://www.golfwrx.com/725100/ill-wear-a-hat-when-im-paid-to-be-here-like-he-is-report-shares-fresh-details-on-patrick-cantlay-hat-controversy/?utm_source=Front&utm_medium=Featured_Latest&utm_campaign=GolfWRX_OnSite&utm_content=unused

I don't see much context in that quote. Cantlay may have been being sarcastic to make a point. One thing can't be argued, he played his ass off no matter his attitude.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #158 on: October 12, 2023, 11:01:51 PM »

Sure, that’s it. He was being sarcastic to make what point? That he wants to be paid? He should have taken the 75 mill.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2023, 11:05:26 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ryan Van Culin

« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2023, 12:33:38 AM »
I think the context of the quote being shared by Bamburger is that he isn't being paid by the PGA of America to wear a PGA of America hat. Also, he is not obligated by his sponsor to wear his sponsor's hat, therefore he isn't going to wear a hat at all. For a person who is obligated to wear a hat all year long, I think he was saying he will avail himself of the opportunity to go without a hat. If the PGA of America were paying him, they could obligate him to wear their hat.

Personally, I think his wife told him she didn't want a forehead tan line in her wedding pictures, ha.

David Cronan

« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2023, 03:28:11 AM »
It's impressive, and adorable, that whenever the topic of paying Ryder Cup players comes up, it's members of the American team that complain. That's major league chutzpah. It's like the Washington Generals demanding top billing.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2023, 08:51:28 AM »
I think the context of the quote being shared by Bamburger is that he isn't being paid by the PGA of America to wear a PGA of America hat. Also, he is not obligated by his sponsor to wear his sponsor's hat, therefore he isn't going to wear a hat at all. For a person who is obligated to wear a hat all year long, I think he was saying he will avail himself of the opportunity to go without a hat. If the PGA of America were paying him, they could obligate him to wear their hat.

Personally, I think his wife told him she didn't want a forehead tan line in her wedding pictures, ha.

Doesn't the hat say "USA" not PGA of America?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ryan Van Culin

« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2023, 11:54:01 PM »
Yes, it does say USA, but that isn't the point at all.

It's only my opinion, but I think he was saying he is taking an opportunity to forego wearing a hat because he isn't required to wear a hat.

I feel like I'm not making sense, but I don't think it has anything to do with the PGA of America specifically, just that he doesn't prefer to wear a hat in general.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2023, 09:16:46 AM »
   “I feel like I’m not making sense.” A man in touch with his feelings.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back