News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup … and is the level of hyping-up of events like it, the Solhiem Cup, the various Majors etc etc and all the various other activities that these days seem to go with them actually doing a detrimental disservice to golf?
Atb
« Last Edit: October 01, 2023, 03:29:13 AM by Thomas Dai »

Sean_A

Re: Is there a more over-hyped even in golf than the Ryder Cup ….
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »
Is there a more over-hyped event in golf than the Ryder Cup … and is the level of hyping-up of events like it, the Solhiem Cup, the various Majors etc etc and all the various other activities that these days seem to go with them actually doing a detrimental disservice to golf?
Atb

Every big event in men's golf is over-hyped. I don't see how it's a disservice to golf.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 12:08:46 PM »
I’m a MASSIVE fan of the Opening and Closing Ceremonies. Especially, the Parade of The WAGs. Can’t get enough of that. Ra-rah, flag-waving jingoism in the name of sport is truly marvellous.
I believe there’s three days of the golf in between, but they could just forget about those, as far as I’m concerned. Bring on the razzmatazz, the lovely uniforms, the running around on greens before games are over, the fist-pumping, high-fiving, Olé, olé, olé-ing, the USA-USA-USAing. It’s all so lovely.
I’ll still be watching it though.
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

David Cronan

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 12:21:36 PM »
I miss The Captainess, aka Mrs. Pavin.

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 12:33:33 PM »
I miss The Captainess, aka Mrs. Pavin.

;D

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 12:37:32 PM »
To quote John Kavanaugh, "no one cares". I quit watching a long time ago.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 01:56:30 PM »
To quote John Kavanaugh, "no one cares". I quit watching a long time ago.

DraftKings. I’ve got a tie at +1000. USA to win at -110. Plus a few prop bets. I care now.

Tim Martin

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 01:58:49 PM »
I like the way the rivalry has developed. That said the same as other professional sports I’m not a fan of the excessive celebrations that are now seemingly woven into the fabric of the event. Call me old fashioned but I’ve always been enamored with the decorum that up until the last thirty years has been a mainstay of the game of golf.

https://youtu.be/nHfmjQVKx7k?si=JiEYlks7stmUg2sX

David Cronan

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2023, 06:29:40 AM »
I'm not sure what I expected from Zach Johnson, but after getting blitzed 0-4 in the morning Foursomes, it wasn't this response: "I'm so proud of our guys and the way they played."

It's not Under 5 T-ball.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2023, 08:43:43 AM »
I'm not sure what I expected from Zach Johnson, but after getting blitzed 0-4 in the morning Foursomes, it wasn't this response: "I'm so proud of our guys and the way they played."

It's not Under 5 T-ball.

Honestly, should he even be a captain? When I think of Zach Johnson I think major winner  who got a lot out of his game but I don't think Ryder Cup.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Jeff Evagues

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2023, 09:04:28 AM »
Talk about overhyped, I don't think the captain has much to do with the matches anyway. Either the guys get the ball in the hole or they don't. You can theorize who should play with who all day. I wasn't going to watch much anyway so this is a good excuse to skip the whole weekend.
Be the ball

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
I like the way the rivalry has developed. That said the same as other professional sports I’m not a fan of the excessive celebrations that are now seemingly woven into the fabric of the event. Call me old fashioned but I’ve always been enamored with the decorum that up until the last thirty years has been a mainstay of the game of golf.

https://youtu.be/nHfmjQVKx7k?si=JiEYlks7stmUg2sX

Agreed

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2023, 10:11:47 AM »
Atb
IMO the Solheim Cup is more overhyped since the majority of the top golfers in the world are not eligible to play in the event.  South Korea should have a team rather than the US.

Tim Martin

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »
Extra points for the “Captain’s Cart Cam.” ::) 

Rob Marshall

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 12:02:21 PM »
Putting is the least important aspect of the game? Holy cow these guys can roll it.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2023, 12:38:29 PM »
Just following the online scoring and for a little bit it looked like the US had a chance to win the afternoon scoring 2½ or 3, instead coming away with 1½. Less than ideal as we say in the business.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Matthew Rose

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2023, 12:42:46 PM »
Looks like every other Ryder Cup played in Europe, which is a one-sided affair that is basically over on the first day. I've already seen this movie.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2023, 12:50:45 PM »
Matthew

I'm not so sure. Europe played out their boots and I doubt they will keep that up for the whole of the next two days. Certainly the US team played a lot better in the afternoon and the standard of play generally from both teams was excellent.

One of the commentators made a good point on Sky. They suggested that the US team hadn't quite got the speed of the greens and their putts consequently pulled up a bit short or went slightly through the break. Once they get their eye in I expect it to be a much tighter affair.

Niall

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2023, 01:24:52 PM »
They’ve been there all week. If they haven’t figured out the green speed by Friday it’s a bit of a shocker. These guys are supposed to be good.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 01:28:50 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2023, 02:44:09 PM »
JK:  I resisted putting the curse on the Red, White & Blue (RWB) by not placing a few quid on the outcome. 

So much for me not putting the hex on them.

I'm hoping your prop bets hit.

I'm afraid this one is over; the chubby lady is likely warming up doing scales in the alcove this evening.

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2023, 03:21:48 PM »
;D

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2023, 03:24:51 PM »
They’ve been there all week. If they haven’t figured out the green speed by Friday it’s a bit of a shocker. These guys are supposed to be good.
[/quote/]

This.

Every single away game we hear this.
Are there no slow greens near the homes of these players whose season ended a month ago?
If they were actually serious(as they give constant lip service to), say the way Nicklaus approached majors, they would revamp the criteria,and never pick a Captain or vice Captain with a losing record again.(not easy I know-go young if needed and do we really need multiple Captains?)
Clean house.
Culture and all the memories of losing need to go away.(regardless of why)
Lose the wives and the 75 other people inside the ropes-and the stupid carts.

Two Captain's picks-based solely on career team competition success.
Match play is just so different-especially now with stats telling you OVER time which approach is best-for STROKE play.
Match play is one day-that day-that moment-NOT an OVER time event.

10 auto qualifiers based on Points.
Point doubled last 3 months leading up to event.Points added for each win in match play events.
Deducted for losses(yes if you lose a Match in Dell format even if you advance thru)
Double points deducted if you lost or tied a match you were 2 up in the last 4 holes or dormie at any point.
Points given for previous year's President's Cup wins.
Deducted for losses.

Points tripled for participating in event at host site. (Marco Simone hosts a Euro event)

Then actually prepare by playing mock matches and RC formats in practice rounds throughout the year.

OR -just stop saying how much the event means to you because if it really did,you would show it by preparing as if it meant a lot.

It's OK to treat it like the exhibition it used to be,and IMHO still should be.
My guess is that approach couldn't possibly hurt for away games.

While you're at it  bring in Larry Nelson.
The last good Captain we had the country club set revolted and we got the embarrassing Task Force.
How has that turned out exactly?

And great play by the Euros today!!

« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 05:13:39 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2023, 04:16:09 PM »
Warning: Architectural Post.
Can any golf course where the 18th hole runs directly into the setting sun EVER be considered great?
Asking for a friend,
F.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2023, 04:37:00 PM »
Warning: Architectural Post.
Can any golf course where the 18th hole runs directly into the setting sun EVER be considered great?
Asking for a friend,
F.

Because of the tilt of the earth, the sun's orientation changes by 23.5 degrees over the  course of the year. If one wants to makes sure one is never playing the 18th hole into the setting sun, one is cutting off 23.5 degrees of options for which way the 18th hole can be run. To say nothing of the 17th, 16th, and 15th holes. It would be impractical for an architect to cut those avenues off I would think. Plus, for 65%+ of the daylight hours, the sun is high enough in the sky that it won't really affect the ability to sight the ball anyway.

Sorry for the rant, this rule of thumb is a pet peeve of mine.  :D  (in other words, build the best holes possible)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:39:06 PM by Charlie Goerges »
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2023, 04:49:09 PM »
Yeah, but it’s also got a sodding POND!  ;D
PLUS,
Three hundred and sixty minus twenty three point five leaves, ehm, let me see, take away the five, divide by eight, carry the seven…ehm, quite a lot of the compass to play with.  ;D
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:52:40 PM by Marty Bonnar »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back