News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

NW Ireland is the most underrated golf destination?
« on: September 17, 2023, 05:00:56 PM »
Sitting on the plane coming home from Ireland.  With the addition of St. Patrick’s, has NW Ireland become the hidden gem of golf trips?

I’ve always loved my time in Ireland and this trip I was able to play 4 more new courses from NW Ireland:  (in chronological order for me) Narin and Portnoo, Strandhill, St. Patrick’s, and Portsalon. 

Just for info purposes, I was fortunate to do repeat plays at Lahinch, Dooks, Ballybunion, and Rosapenna Old (the back 9 —Old Tom Morris 9 is stunning).

I am a bit overwhelmed by the depth of golf in NW Ireland.  With Carne, Enniscrone, Sligo and the nearby courses in Northern Ireland, the area should be high on any golfer’s list!

As a tour agent, very few people call me about NW Ireland.  It’s a shame!

Bart

Mike Worth

Re: NW Ireland is the most underrated golf destination?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:52:51 PM »
And Cruit Island. Although it’s only nine holes, it should be added to the list.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 08:21:01 PM »
The views of the houses on the hillside overlooking the water was special at Portsalon. The front nine was very interesting right out of the gate. The back nine just seemed like it could be anywhere. I liked Sandy Hills. It was a beast. I guess it’s been softened a bit since I was there in 2013. I also liked Ballyliffen Old. Nothing like two ladies playing a match play thru  8 guys sit in a shelter in a downpour…..only in Ireland.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Chris Spann

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2023, 04:02:27 PM »
Bart, completely agree with you on the NW. I just took over 7 members from my Club in Maine. Played Strandhill, 2 days at Carne (a few of us are overseas members), Narin & Portnoo, Cruit Island, St. Patricks, Ballyliffin, Portstewart and finished up at the European Club. Cruit Island was a blast. One of the greatest pieces of land I have stepped/played on. The NW is a region that hopefully get more attention in the future. Cheers!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2023, 07:58:17 PM »
I've gone the last 2 summers and likely going again in 2024.  I've seen plenty of Americans so I'm not sure I'd call it the most under rated.  Definitely a great trip though.  The selfish side of me laments that prices have also gone up since my first trip.

As far as under rated I'd say Wales is the most under rated in the UK/Ireland.  As far as most under rated golf destination, I was pretty darn impressed with the Netherlands and not sure many Americans are making the trip there for golf.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 08:00:39 PM by Joe_Tucholski »

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2023, 10:26:14 PM »
I've gone the last 2 summers and likely going again in 2024.  I've seen plenty of Americans so I'm not sure I'd call it the most under rated.  Definitely a great trip though.  The selfish side of me laments that prices have also gone up since my first trip.

As far as under rated I'd say Wales is the most under rated in the UK/Ireland.  As far as most under rated golf destination, I was pretty darn impressed with the Netherlands and not sure many Americans are making the trip there for golf.

The Donegal as an underrated destination ship said a few years back.It once was the gold standard of value, though no doubt it offers great comparative value to the rest of Ireland and most of Scotland , given both golf price inflation elsewhere, and the increase in quality in the area.
Agree 100 % Wales and the Netherlands are probably the most under rated, though I'd put Northern Scotland minus Dornoch up there as well.
Devon and Cornwall and much of rural England still represent great value as well.

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2023, 03:47:01 AM »
As far as under rated I'd say Wales is the most under rated in the UK/Ireland. 
Agree 100 % Wales and the Netherlands are probably the most under rated, ...
Dreadful place Wales. Don't go there.
The locals speak a language without vowels and when not talking about rugby are constantly singing songs about saucepans bubbling on stoves, the roads when not blocked by cattle and sheep are full of slow 4wd's and tractors towing trailers or quad-bikes with sheepdogs riding pillion, the road-sign names are splash painted over in green, and as for the golf courses ......
:)
atb

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2023, 04:01:09 AM »
As far as under rated I'd say Wales is the most under rated in the UK/Ireland. 
Agree 100 % Wales and the Netherlands are probably the most under rated, ...
Dreadful place Wales. Don't go there.
The locals speak a language without vowels and when not talking about rugby are constantly singing songs about saucepans bubbling on stoves, the roads when not blocked by cattle and sheep are full of slow 4wd's and tractors towing trailers or quad-bikes with sheepdogs riding pillion, the road-sign names are splash painted over in green, and as for the golf courses ......
 :)
atb

And lots of 20mph speed limit signs  ;D

Niall C

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2023, 08:41:47 AM »
Sitting on the plane coming home from Ireland.  With the addition of St. Patrick’s, has NW Ireland become the hidden gem of golf trips?

Bart

I wouldn't argue the depth of lovely and interesting courses, not least of which is St Pats but given the greenfees that are now being charged for a lot of these courses I'd suggest that someone is rushing to play them even if it isn't your clients. From memory it was a touch over 100 euros to play Portsalon last year and while a lovely course (and nice people) it wasn't any better than a few courses I played in a recent trip to Wales and they were about half the price.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back