News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Finn

Major Changes Coming at Birkdale
« on: September 22, 2023, 11:29:11 AM »
https://members.royalbirkdale.com/2023_course_changes_public

Very curious to hear some views on the changes. Seems this is a trend that will continue.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

John Handley

Re: Major Changes Coming at Birkdale
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2023, 11:51:58 AM »
Very interesting.  First of all, I think golf courses are living things that do need to be updated over time.  A place like Royal Birkdale that is an Open Championship venue needs to be able to test the best golfers in the world. The game has changed and thus the courses need to as well.  The challenge becomes how to do these changes and make the courses better than to have committees making decisions.

Being a member of the Cal Club, our course took on major changes, much more than proposed at Birkdale. It was the best decision our club could have ever made.  I am visiting Royal Birkdale late next summer and hopefully the changes they are making make it a better course.  I haven't played it yet, but I am excited to see it.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2023, 12:00:02 PM »
They say it's to "elevate the challenge" of the course. I'm curious if those who've played there feel this needed to be done?

More of a pet peeve, but in the release they call their clubhouse "iconic". It feels weird to call your own clubhouse iconic.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Brian Finn

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2023, 12:36:59 PM »
They say it's to "elevate the challenge" of the course. I'm curious if those who've played there feel this needed to be done?
For members and visitors, definitely not.  The elevated challenge is clearly aimed at The Open. 

In looking at the photos, it is interesting that the major criticism I have heard of Birkdale is the flattened fairways, and it looks as though they will be adding some humps and bumps.  I did not find it (flat fairways) to detract from the course.  While I prefer the more natural, rumpled look of a rugged links, I think there is room for some variety in this regard.

One good thing is that none of the changes seem drastically out of character with the course, as we saw at Hoylake.
New for '24: Monifieth (Medal & Ashludie), Montrose (1562 & Broomfield), Panmure, Carnoustie (Championship, Burnside, & Buddon), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop (Red & Black), Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs (South & Bluffs)...

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2023, 01:01:02 PM »
Just rollback the bloody ball!
Atb

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2023, 01:57:13 PM »
I am not the biggest fan of Birkdale; it is unarguably a fabulous piece of land, but the course design and construction is rather heavy handed, as Brian notes.

With that in mind, and knowing that Tom Mackenzie is an excellent architect, I think that these changes will be a net positive, even though I am concerned that the ubiquity of M&E on the top links is creating a degree of uniformity.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 04:35:11 PM by Adam Lawrence »
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2023, 02:48:28 PM »
I mean, when has adding a new par 3 to an Open Championship course ever created controversy?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 03:11:47 PM »
It looks like the changes will remove the ground game for members.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Ben Stephens

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2023, 03:54:29 PM »
Lots of cross bunkers are being removed based on the proposals I have seen  :o  is it to make it more playable for the members?

I agree with Adam - Tom Mackenzie is a nice guy and I have played golf with him. However I just feel there needs to be more variety in terms of the choice of GCA's working on the Open courses. M+E reign will not last forever even if they are on a good run.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2023, 04:43:35 PM »
I agree with changing the 5th, but I'm not sure the new design will alter the strategy much from the tee. I found it quite uninteresting, except for the green and surrounding area. For a short hole, it doesn't demand much thought; just leave yourself a short pitch in. The fairway is pancake flat, so if they could add some features, it would be an improvement. The 7th is pretty mundane too, so I think the proposed changes could be an improvement.

I thought the 14th was a good par three; it plays a bit uphill and there's something about it I just like. It's offers a bit more variety  than the 12th which is a bit one-dimensional. I don't understand why Tom Watson rates it as one of the best par threes in the world. It's pretty, but not great.

It looks like they'll slot the new par three between the current 15th green (which they'll probably move) and 16th tee. I'd assume they will have to move the 16th tee to allow free flow of spectators.

If only they could liven up some of the flatter fairways and remove the ripples and waves (done by Hawtree) around the greens.

No mention of changes to the 17th green, so perhaps it has become accepted after all these years.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2023, 04:47:16 PM by Dónal Ó Ceallaigh »

MCirba

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2023, 04:51:36 PM »
Just rollback the bloody ball!
Atb

+1,000,000
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2023, 04:59:37 PM »
Rolling back the ball would remove any perceived need to make Birkdale harder in its Open guise, but it wouldn’t fix the problems of lack of interest caused by insensitive construction
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »
None of this work has anything to do with making it harder or lack of interest.

As usual, it starts with fixing a perceived infrastructural issue (in this case removing the 14th hole for access to a lengthened driving range) and then goes to town after that.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2023, 06:51:50 PM »

As usual, it starts with fixing a perceived infrastructural issue (in this case removing the 14th hole for access to a lengthened driving range) and then goes to town after that.
Lytham & St Annes is also altering their course beginning this winter via M&E to create a massive driving range so they can create space on the current range for Open infrastructure. They’re mainly just moving laterally two holes and opening up some currently unused land, so the course shouldn’t look too different.

I’m a bit concerned about M&E having influence on so many links courses in the UK. I feel there is a homogenization occurring in UK links golf courses due to the input from just one source. The uniqueness of these courses is what makes them special… warts and all. They all seem to be in a race to change their courses in the name of enhanced difficulty for the elite golfer in order to attract one top competition or another. It’s very concerning to old guys like me… but, we’re always concerned about any kind of change! 😉
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2023, 07:47:50 PM »

I’m a bit concerned about M&E having influence on so many links courses in the UK. I feel there is a homogenization occurring in UK links golf courses due to the input from just one source. The uniqueness of these courses is what makes them special… warts and all. They all seem to be in a race to change their courses in the name of enhanced difficulty for the elite golfer in order to attract one top competition or another. It’s very concerning to old guys like me… but, we’re always concerned about any kind of change! 😉

Yes this.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Stephens

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2023, 02:28:17 AM »
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/read/68381444/royal-birkdale-masterplan-report-2023-08-final

Here is a link to the M+E document for the proposed works at Royal Birkdale. They carry out some of the best presentations in the GCA industry.

There used to be a par 3 hole between the existing 17th and 18th holes.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 02:34:30 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2023, 02:59:48 AM »

Reading the proposal that Ben just posted, it seems the initiator of this project was the similar orientation of three of the par-3’s which then knocked on to practice area benefits.

Recalling the conversation where Ben saw this as important to rectify on courses whilst other architects less so, it is a good example of how different orders of priorities can drive very different solutions.

From a personal perspective, I find it disappointing that 14 is the hole that disappears. It was my favourite of the four par-3’s and it will leave an unnaturally long walk between the 13th green and the old 15th tees (new 14th). The major changes to the old 15th to accommodate the new par-3 are also a little concerning. It is perhaps my favourite hole on the course.

As always - of course - there are changes to every hole, some relatively minor, some major (like the 5th which appears interesting from the render).

Funnily enough, there are no sand scrapes. I would have thought that Birkdale - with its large dunes - was a better 3D fit for blow-outs and scrapes than the many flatter courses where M&E have implemented them.

All that said, I look forward to returning once the work is done. I’ve enjoyed a couple of the Tom MacKenzie remodels I’ve played, Trevose being the first example that comes to mind.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 03:03:23 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2023, 04:04:53 AM »
The brief for the job as included in the M+E proposal highlighted above and presumably issued as part of some pre-qualification or tendering process (???) makes interesting reading - see below.
Also it would be interesting to know who actually wrote the brief?
Atb

“The Royal Birkdale Golf Club wish to improve and develop the golf course with the modern game in mind for its members, visitors, and championships for the future. Whilst history is important and to be considered as part of the research, we are not looking for a restoration project. All changes must be relevant to the current aesthetics, topography and sympathetic to the SSSI.
Greens
The Club are happy to consider changes to green complexes, however, would appreciate minimum disturbance to green surfaces. R&A document suggests some development to slope towards the greenside bunkers for additional championship pin positions
Run off Areas
Consider how these areas are currently managed and maintained particularly when acute angles are part of the runoff. The current style to be maintained whenever possible
Transition
Areas
Suggestions on how to make the transition areas (green to next tee) on the course more attractive without excessive maintenance would be welcome.
Tees
As much usable teeing area as possible to be retained, however we wish to avoid large runway' type tees.
Ideas for new tees to improve the angle and playing lines of any holes are welcome. Ideas for more elevation, where appropriate would also be welcome.
Fairways
While the course is framed by large dunes, the fairways are relatively flat for a links course, this feature
divide's opinion, and something for more debate.
Shape and cut lines also open for review.
Pathways
The Club are open to fresh ideas regarding making the pathways more natural, particularly the ones that can be seen from teeing areas.
Rough
Potential for more broken ground, depending on the fairways and dune movement.
Bunkers
Consistency, positioning, size, number, direction, style should all be reviewed with members playability a priority, R&A suggest moving closer to the greens in some instances.
Dunes
The Club would be open to the idea of the dunes playing a larger part in the strategy of the holes rather than simply framing them. Club would prefer to avoid bare sand areas and retain fixed (grassed) dune land, however would be happy to incorporate scrapes in the dune slacks.
Scrub & Rough Management
Continue to develop and implement actions from the 5-year plan.
Practice Areas
Improvements of these areas a major part of the brief.
Short Course
Architect design and advice very welcome
Par 3'5
Similar length and direction, ideas to break this up would be welcome
Y Roval Birkdale Masterplan Report 2023-08 Final
Specific Ideas (in no particular order)
1st Hole Tee - Something better than the edge of the car park
Mounding on 1st hole (behind Jutland, left and right approach and behind green)
Chipping green behind 9th green
9ch Hole - Raise dune behind 9th to hide car park
13th Hole - Dune on right of 13th (move towards the fairway). Possible change of teeing area on 13th
Larger practice putting green
4th and 5th hole
Development 6th tees (part of the 5th)
Spectator Flow For Championships - R&A document
Contractual Requirements
Regular consultation / engagement with Links Development Committee Scheduled Visits - throughout the Year - (Playing visit - Summer/Winter)
Audit Document - Delivery and review”

Ben Stephens

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2023, 10:14:48 AM »

Reading the proposal that Ben just posted, it seems the initiator of this project was the similar orientation of three of the par-3’s which then knocked on to practice area benefits.

Recalling the conversation where Ben saw this as important to rectify on courses whilst other architects less so, it is a good example of how different orders of priorities can drive very different solutions.

From a personal perspective, I find it disappointing that 14 is the hole that disappears. It was my favourite of the four par-3’s and it will leave an unnaturally long walk between the 13th green and the old 15th tees (new 14th). The major changes to the old 15th to accommodate the new par-3 are also a little concerning. It is perhaps my favourite hole on the course.

As always - of course - there are changes to every hole, some relatively minor, some major (like the 5th which appears interesting from the render).

Funnily enough, there are no sand scrapes. I would have thought that Birkdale - with its large dunes - was a better 3D fit for blow-outs and scrapes than the many flatter courses where M&E have implemented them.

All that said, I look forward to returning once the work is done. I’ve enjoyed a couple of the Tom MacKenzie remodels I’ve played, Trevose being the first example that comes to mind.

I am too disappointed to see 14 go - its probably the best par 3 on the course hole and shaping wise. Last time I played Birkdale I managed to get a great 3 on 14 and then birdie 15 and 16 in the wind then bogeyed 17 and 18 downwind (groan!!)

12 is a great looking hole however the green is so flat which is un links like. 7 they are shortening the Open tee and playing it from the normal angle that the club members play.

Having the 7 going in the members tee direction you are right that 3 par 3s are in same direction.  ;D  the Angle to the 12 could be changed - its quite a trek from the 11th green to 12th tee as far as I can remember.

By the way Trevose has improved a lot - St Enodoc still edges it as the best in Cornwall - also watch out for Tim Lobb work at Perrnaporth if it comes off it will be vastly improved from what I have heard that is to be proposed there.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 10:20:17 AM by Ben Stephens »

Ben Stephens

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2023, 10:16:22 AM »
The brief for the job as included in the M+E proposal highlighted above and presumably issued as part of some pre-qualification or tendering process ( ??? ) makes interesting reading - see below.
Also it would be interesting to know who actually wrote the brief?
Atb

“The Royal Birkdale Golf Club wish to improve and develop the golf course with the modern game in mind for its members, visitors, and championships for the future. Whilst history is important and to be considered as part of the research, we are not looking for a restoration project. All changes must be relevant to the current aesthetics, topography and sympathetic to the SSSI.
Greens
The Club are happy to consider changes to green complexes, however, would appreciate minimum disturbance to green surfaces. R&A document suggests some development to slope towards the greenside bunkers for additional championship pin positions
Run off Areas
Consider how these areas are currently managed and maintained particularly when acute angles are part of the runoff. The current style to be maintained whenever possible
Transition
Areas
Suggestions on how to make the transition areas (green to next tee) on the course more attractive without excessive maintenance would be welcome.
Tees
As much usable teeing area as possible to be retained, however we wish to avoid large runway' type tees.
Ideas for new tees to improve the angle and playing lines of any holes are welcome. Ideas for more elevation, where appropriate would also be welcome.
Fairways
While the course is framed by large dunes, the fairways are relatively flat for a links course, this feature
divide's opinion, and something for more debate.
Shape and cut lines also open for review.
Pathways
The Club are open to fresh ideas regarding making the pathways more natural, particularly the ones that can be seen from teeing areas.
Rough
Potential for more broken ground, depending on the fairways and dune movement.
Bunkers
Consistency, positioning, size, number, direction, style should all be reviewed with members playability a priority, R&A suggest moving closer to the greens in some instances.
Dunes
The Club would be open to the idea of the dunes playing a larger part in the strategy of the holes rather than simply framing them. Club would prefer to avoid bare sand areas and retain fixed (grassed) dune land, however would be happy to incorporate scrapes in the dune slacks.
Scrub & Rough Management
Continue to develop and implement actions from the 5-year plan.
Practice Areas
Improvements of these areas a major part of the brief.
Short Course
Architect design and advice very welcome
Par 3'5
Similar length and direction, ideas to break this up would be welcome
Y Roval Birkdale Masterplan Report 2023-08 Final
Specific Ideas (in no particular order)
1st Hole Tee - Something better than the edge of the car park
Mounding on 1st hole (behind Jutland, left and right approach and behind green)
Chipping green behind 9th green
9ch Hole - Raise dune behind 9th to hide car park
13th Hole - Dune on right of 13th (move towards the fairway). Possible change of teeing area on 13th
Larger practice putting green
4th and 5th hole
Development 6th tees (part of the 5th)
Spectator Flow For Championships - R&A document
Contractual Requirements
Regular consultation / engagement with Links Development Committee Scheduled Visits - throughout the Year - (Playing visit - Summer/Winter)
Audit Document - Delivery and review”

I heard rumours that M+E were the only ones that bidded for the job  ::)  not 100% certain about it

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back