News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Golf in Alaska
« on: September 15, 2023, 01:40:37 PM »
If asked about golf destinations, Alaska does not come to mind. It is like going to North Dakota for a downhill skiing vacation. After all, why would anyone trade a glacier for a chip shot or Denali for a chance to putt on a bumpy green? There are 22 courses in Alaska, but only eight have 18 holes. All of the courses have public access. My wife and I were in Texas for a late August wedding and played golf there. I suggested that we make a side trip to Alaska on our way home to Virginia. She asked, “When was the last time you looked at a map?” We did go for ten days. We still had our clubs, so we thought, let’s play between cruises, plane rides, train rides, sightseeing, and hiking. All of the courses are fun, and the staff are welcoming. If you aim to play in all fifty states, you must play in Alaska. I only have three to go.

We landed in Anchorage about noon. We were going to drive to Seward. Anchorage GC is on the way, so we stopped and played there. Anchorage GC is a municipal course routed over some bumpy lumpy ground, with nary an even lie. It was great fun, and we enjoyed our round. The staff was great, and we could not have had a better time. Anchorage hosted the 2022 USGA Women’s Senior Amateur and did some major bunker renovation prior to the championship.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:08:20 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Golf in Alaska
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2023, 01:46:02 PM »
The drive from Seward to Denali takes you past Moose Run GC, a 36-hole military facility that allows civilian play. The user-friendly walkable Hill Course gets the most play, and then there is a Robin Nelson designed beast called the Creek. It plays at 7300 yards from the tips but has shorter tees for 76-year-old mortals like me. I played it from about 6200 yards and just enjoyed the heck out of it. The fairways were in excellent condition, albeit a bit wet from a rainy summer. It has some very inventive holes. This was my wife’s favorite course.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:08:34 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2023, 01:47:00 PM »
Driving back to Anchorage, we played Settlers Bay in Wasilla, about forty miles north of Anchorage. It is a public residential course. The view from the first tee is enough to want to play it. The course is very playable but not as strong as the other two. It did have the best-conditioned greens.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2023, 03:08:03 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

DFarron

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2023, 02:40:19 PM »
They have a local US Open qualifier there, they get around 15 players for it.

I hope to play in it some year, seems like it would be really fun!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2023, 03:12:43 PM »
They have a local US Open qualifier there, they get around 15 players for it.

I hope to play in it some year, seems like it would be really fun!

I guess it is at the course in Palmer. We were not able to get there, but played with a member who said from the back tees it is as much as anyone could handle.
St. John of the Cross

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 01:21:10 AM »
 8)  Tommy,

Did they tell you how late in evening you could play??  We were there once in July and they said at course in Anchorage, tee times no later than 1030 pm because of the bears...

Did you take in any king crab at Simon & Seaforts? 

best
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2023, 12:16:53 PM »
8)  Tommy,

Did they tell you how late in evening you could play??  We were there once in July and they said at course in Anchorage, tee times no later than 1030 pm because of the bears...

Did you take in any king crab at Simon & Seaforts? 

best

Sunset was about 8:45, but we played in the middle of the afternoon on our drive to some destination. They talked mostly about Moose damage. I guess they like to run around on the greens. No, we did not get to S&S but had some great salmon and scallops. We did have some crab cakes, but after having lived in Annapolis for 33 years, it was a mistake. We should have had the king crab. We had reindeer it but felt like eating Rudolf.
St. John of the Cross

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 10:43:42 AM »
I regret not playing in Alaska when I visited a relative for three weeks one summer.
Last 15 Played:
Stoatin Brae GC (MI), Crystal Downs CC (MI), Diamond Springs GC (MI), Perry Park (KY), Lakota Links (CO), Copper Rock (UT), Little America GC (WY), Erie GC (PA), Skyway (NJ), Ferry Point (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge (PA), Hillsboro Elks CC (OH), Smock (IN)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2023, 02:53:56 PM »
Have any of you played in Alaska? I can't be the only one.
St. John of the Cross

Doug Bolls

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2023, 06:00:54 PM »
Don't I wish - it's the only state I haven't played in.  Maybe sometime.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back