News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Kranky KINGHORN GC
« on: September 11, 2023, 12:13:44 PM »
The Royal Burgh of Kinghorn is a fine town featuring two beaches. The town’s most recent claim to fame is the Black Rock 5. A 4.5-mile race which includes the loop of the black rocks which lie about a mile off-shore. The race can only be run at low tide when the water is no more than knee high. With over 600 entries, the race rather reminds one of a trail of ants marching into the sea. The race was started in 1987, 100 years earlier Kinghorn GC was founded on a nine-hole Old Tom Morris design. Kinghorn claims to be the fifth oldest golfing site in the world. Records date back to 1812 and it is likely golf was played over the Kinghorn Links up to 200 years prior to this date. Willie Fernie extended the course to 18 holes in 1905, but little of OTM’s or Fernie’s designs remain. A main reason for drastic changes was the sale of the land north of the 1st hole. The Fife Council eventually re-bought 16 acres which include holes 2, 3 & 6-8. The meadowy 14-16 were added to the course in 1965.

The opener is a good down n' up par 4 with OoB hard right. The second is the first of six short holes. A longish blind hole along the ridge, this wasn't a favourite of mine. The third brings us back down to the valley with a tee shot over the 2nd and a stone wall.

A wider view of the links, long range views and harsh rough just right of the green.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 08:23:02 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: Kranky KINGHORN GC:1-3
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2023, 05:02:49 PM »
Kinghorn Tour Cont

Kinghorn is jammed with very short two-shotters. The 4th is the first of seven under 320 yards. There isn't much to defend against birdie, but the green is somewhat interesting.

Playing over two valleys, the 5th green is seductively located.

The landscape brilliantly shifts for the short 6th; an evil hole. From the back tees its much easier to earn its listed par 4. If played from the backs, the third green is directly in play.

It’s 88 yards shorter from the yellow tees and a par 3, but four remains the likely outcome.

The piddling green as seen from 7 tee. Once the hole is known, it must make sense to play pin-highish right and hope for a pitch and putt par. Notice the back tee for 7 on the outcrop to the rear. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:01:59 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: Kranky KINGHORN GC:1-6
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »
Kinghorn Tour Cont

The 7th plays over the lower reaches of a hill to a green tucked in a corner of the property. Perhaps not Kinghorn's best hole, but the 8th is a stern two-shotter back over the hill.  I suspect holding the fairway can be a big ask at times. Good hole with a slide away green.

We come back to the unruly ground for the 9th. At 217 yards this par 4 is much less than half the length of the 8th.

Much like the 4th & 5th, 9 & 10 run back on each other. This is one of five par 4s which is technically a par 3 length.  While the course is only 4637 yards from the yellow tees, the rating is 63.5 against a par of 65. Considering the generously labelled 4s, Kinghorn isn't a push over.

Similar to 7 & 8, the 11th escapes the lovely section of the property and doesn't have much to recommend it.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 02:43:26 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Kranky KINGHORN GC:1-11
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 08:22:49 AM »
Kinghorn Tour Cont

The 12th comes back down the hill, but unlike the adjacent 11th, it plays over true, firm, humpty bumpty land, the last of such on the course. The green slopes away from the fairway at an alarming grade. The 412 yards plays very short.

We can walk in from here as the routing goes over less interesting terrain and the greens aren't all that interesting....with one exception...the short 17th. The view from the tee is lovely.

The hole is good as well.

A great example of a saving bunker with the added touch of the unusual about it.

From the forward tee the 18th is nothing special. However, for those willing to descend to the back tee for a sharply uphill blind shot which brings the road on the right into play...it is a potential card wrecker. Apparently, the tee is a homage to Old Tom Morris as it is his original 8th tee when the course played to this area.

Oh boy, Kinghorn has some holes among the angels and some which aren't worth the walk. I am not sure I have seen a course with such a strong dichotomy of quality. This is a classic "should have built what the land offered" situation. Yet, to me, it’s worth playing because of 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12 & 17. I can't quite go so far as to say any of the holes are All Scotland candidates, but the 6th as a one shotter comes awfully close. Listen. Kinghorn is cheap and cheerful golf and for that we should be thankful. Kinghorn makes for a perfect travel day game between East Lothian and Fife. Play it.  2023

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:07:40 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: Kranky KINGHORN GC
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 11:26:14 AM »
Thanks for the tour Sean. Some close friends played Kinghorn earlier this year and returned with comments about its quirkiness.
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2023, 07:35:47 PM »
The bunker on 17 looks relatively new to me. I certainly can't recall it on my several plays there but that could be my dodgy memory.

Niall

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2023, 09:28:31 PM »
For those travelling to Fife with a few hours to spare, when one of your party suggests "Anstruther?" , the correct reply is " I believe the locals pronounce it Kinghorn". ;)

I'm all for brief reports but I think some of the not recorded holes are a bit better than you seem to.  I've only played it once but I bet the second is best played as a lay up par 3, forcing an interesting chip and putt. Going long risks lost ball. And the 18th from the forward tee had to be fed in from the left and was no pushover. Can't believe YOU did the walk back? (Can you clarify "when golf was played to this area?  Was there a green where there photo was taken from?  Hard to imagine having to take on that drive with Hickories.)

In 2022 the green fee was £20. In Fife!  Definitely worth making time for a visit to a very fun course.
Good tour, thanks for the memories.

Thanks to the sadly missed Rihc, nearby Burntisland GC is also on my radar for a visit.
https://burntislandgolfhouseclub.co.uk/

The correct pronunciation is Burnt Island. :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 10:01:09 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 06:25:45 AM »
Rich’s home village Course, Aberdour, is also worth a visit.

https://www.aberdourgolfclub.co.uk/

Is it the only Course on the planet that opens with TWO Par Threes?
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 02:43:55 PM »
Rich’s home village Course, Aberdour, is also worth a visit.

https://www.aberdourgolfclub.co.uk/

F.

Pay attention at the back Bonar. If you'd come to the Welsh Buda game at Church Stretton you'd have started with 3 par threes!!!!!

Err which sort of proves your point....(if it wasn't for Pacific Groves where I started 2, 2. Thank you for raising this topic thats only the 47th time I've had an excuse to mentioned it on here.)
Let's make GCA grate again!

David McIntosh

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 03:15:29 PM »

F.

F,

Don’t forget another course close to recent Buda venues further down the east coast - Bamburgh Castle also begins with two par threes.

Genuinely don’t think I’ve heard you mention that one before Tony.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2023, 03:26:05 PM by David McIntosh »

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2023, 04:49:02 AM »
For those travelling to Fife with a few hours to spare, when one of your party suggests "Anstruther?" , the correct reply is " I believe the locals pronounce it Kinghorn". ;)

I'm all for brief reports but I think some of the not recorded holes are a bit better than you seem to.  I've only played it once but I bet the second is best played as a lay up par 3, forcing an interesting chip and putt. Going long risks lost ball. And the 18th from the forward tee had to be fed in from the left and was no pushover. Can't believe YOU did the walk back? (Can you clarify "when golf was played to this area?  Was there a green where there photo was taken from?  Hard to imagine having to take on that drive with Hickories.)

In 2022 the green fee was £20. In Fife!  Definitely worth making time for a visit to a very fun course.

Thanks to the sadly missed Rihc, nearby Burntisland GC is also on my radar for a visit.

Spangles

Are you crazy? No chance I would walk back to that tee. It's idiotic. I was told it was part of OTM course. Apparently it was the 8th tee with the 7th green behind it. I have seen stick routings. The old 7th was called Road. It played over the cliff to a roadside green. Hence 8 plays up the cliff. Reminds me of that certain hole in France .

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:09:34 AM by Sean_A »

Niall C

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2023, 05:31:12 AM »
Hence 8 plays up the cliff. Reminds me of that certain hole in France .

Ciao

OTM also designed a similar hole like that at Strathlene. Who says the original professional golfer architects didn't do templates  ;)

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2023, 06:03:16 AM »
Hence 8 plays up the cliff. Reminds me of that certain hole in France .
Ciao
OTM also designed a similar hole like that at Strathlene. Who says the original professional golfer architects didn't do templates  ;)
Niall
Golfers, folks in generally, were hardier back in time although I imagine there were probably some “it’s not fair” snowflakes around too.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2023, 03:39:33 AM »
OTM designed something which made a bit of sense. Not quite the same as walking golfers from a visible to a blind tee shot…that is idiotic. I say snowflakes unite!

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 07:41:14 PM by Sean_A »

Tim Gallant

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2024, 12:07:52 PM »

Spangles

Are you crazy? No chance I would walk back to that tee. It's idiotic. I was told it was part of OTM course. Apparently it was the 8th tee with the 7th green behind it. I have seen stick routings. The old 7th was called Road. It played over the cliff to a roadside green. Hence 8 plays up the cliff. Reminds me of that certain hole in France .

Ciao

Played here for the first time today, and really enjoyed it. UK Golf Guy just posted his annual review of how greens fees at top UK courses have gone up, but Kington on a bright and beautiful February day was £14!

Sean nails the review, and I really enjoyed the first 10 holes. A lot of the greens have tilt or fall-away, and some of the downhill putts are downright scary.

I did walk back to the 18th tee, and could only laugh (and try to smash a 5iron to clear the hill). For the distance, I would have needed a 3-wood, but there's no way I could get enough height on it to carry the hill. A true one of a kind!

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2024, 03:09:10 AM »

Spangles

Ciao

Played here for the first time today, and really enjoyed it. UK Golf Guy just posted his annual review of how greens fees at top UK courses have gone up, but Kington on a bright and beautiful February day was £14!

Sean nails the review, and I really enjoyed the first 10 holes. A lot of the greens have tilt or fall-away, and some of the downhill putts are downright scary.

I did walk back to the 18th tee, and could only laugh (and try to smash a 5iron to clear the hill). For the distance, I would have needed a 3-wood, but there's no way I could get enough height on it to carry the hill. A true one of a kind!

Tim

What did you think of the 6th?

Ciao

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2024, 10:30:29 AM »
I don’t remember if I’ve posted this before, but here’s the original layout showing the 7th green and 8th tee down in the hollow.

I suppose the 7th - might - have been a Road Hole of sorts!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 05:06:31 AM »

Spangles

Ciao

Tim

Ciao

I really liked it. Before the round, I thought it would be a better hole as a par-4 from the back tee, which it might be, but I really enjoyed playing it as a par-3. It was quite demanding, and I believe I hit hybrid as it's all uphill and was playing into the wind. A left pin would be particularly scary.

I stepped back to the par-4 tee, and in the conditions of the day, it wasn't close to drivable, which I think it would need to be to warrant the walk back.

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2024, 04:56:26 AM »

Spangles

Ciao

Tim

Ciao

I really liked it. Before the round, I thought it would be a better hole as a par-4 from the back tee, which it might be, but I really enjoyed playing it as a par-3. It was quite demanding, and I believe I hit hybrid as it's all uphill and was playing into the wind. A left pin would be particularly scary.

I stepped back to the par-4 tee, and in the conditions of the day, it wasn't close to drivable, which I think it would need to be to warrant the walk back.

I wonder how often that green is to hit.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back