News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

OT- waterproof shoe
« on: September 08, 2023, 05:54:37 PM »
I caddy often in the mornings when the dew is bad . Does anyone know a really good waterproof shoe golf or other?

Ken Moum

Re: OT- waterproof shoe
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 07:03:13 PM »
I'm totally into Hoka Bondi shoes. Have six pairs. They've changed my life re. foot pain.

When I was planning my current trip to Scotland,  I decided I needed water proof and lucked getting Bondi GTX shoes at a discount.

So far they're great.

FWIW,  at St. Andrews I talked to a caddy wearing Hokas and he loves them...while we were talking,  another caddy walked by...in Hokas.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 08:04:36 PM »
I'm totally into Hoka Bondi shoes.
I can second this. As a person with effectively permanent joint damage in one of my feet, I just lived with chronic pain for about 5 years until a foot doctor prescribed these shoes with a specific (rigid) insole. My pain was gone in under a week. It was pretty miraculous. Everyone who asks about them, I tell them that these shoes literally changed my life. I cannot recommend them enough.

They do pose a problem for me while playing however, as the soles are so thick, they change the way I hit the ball, so I stick to traditional golf shoes as long as I can. However if the shoes are for caddying, I would recommend them. It appears that Hoka make a few waterproof boots. I might look into those if that is the primary concern.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 09:20:37 PM »
The solution is water-proof socks. No matter how wet my shoes become, my feet remain dry. A caddie put me onto them.

Ken Moum

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2023, 02:45:30 AM »
My wife has the same problem as Matt re. the height of the soles.

I don't notice it, either due to the fact that I only wear Hokas, for everything.  Or that my ballstriking is bad enough that I don't notice.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2023, 04:23:17 AM »
Oh for the days of barefoot caddies!! :)
Atb

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2023, 10:57:46 AM »
I tried out a pair of those Hoka golf shoes and they were super comfortable, but the height of them is insane! I took them to the range and hit off a mat so they didn't get dirty. Lots of thinned iron shots. I ended up sending them back. I could, however, see why caddies would wear them - perfect shoe for the job.

I'm on my second season with my Ecco Biom BOAs and they're still dry as a bone and very comfortable.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2023, 11:06:08 AM »
The big downside to the Hokas is the massive sole compresses rather quickly and much of the cushioning effect is "lost" (although i don't doubt they are still comfy)

I tried on a few pairs about a year ago, but couldn't get over how unstable they felt due to their height.

Dave Doxey

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2023, 12:25:18 PM »
Which model of Hokas for golf?

Ken Moum

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2023, 01:17:55 PM »
Which model of Hokas for golf?

I only wear the Bondis. Have some worn out 6s, now I have three pairs of 7s and a pair of GTXs (waterproof).  Also a pair of Bondi SRs.

My favorites for golf are the SRs, because they are leather and a lot stiffer laterally, they also have the very best sole for golf. But mine are brown, and now they only make them in white and black. They are also not waterproof.

So I switch between two of the Bondi 7s most of the time.  But I am currently in Scotland, so it's been GTXs pretty much every round.

I admit they are kind of tall, but I haven't had any of the "problems" people talk about.  They haven't collapsed any quicker than other foam-soled shoes I have worn, and my oldest pair is actually combined from two other pairs that I completely wore out the uppers on.  Oddly, the right and left survived so I have a pair that is one blue, one gray.  I use them for yard work.

Now, every complaint I have heard about them is probably valid, but prior to wearing them I couldn't walk the course without being in agony by the 12th or 13th hole. Now I can walk 18 and have zero foot pain. Even here in Scotland, where the firm ground has always been a problem for me, no discomfort...none.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2023, 02:45:29 PM »
I tried out a pair of those Hoka golf shoes and they were super comfortable, but the height of them is insane! I took them to the range and hit off a mat so they didn't get dirty. Lots of thinned iron shots. I ended up sending them back. I could, however, see why caddies would wear them - perfect shoe for the job.

I'm on my second season with my Ecco Biom BOAs and they're still dry as a bone and very comfortable.
Cal, I'm a "program" 5'8 for those who know about juicing height / weight in sports rosters. So I tried on a pair of Hokas and was close to buying a pair, but the height seemed to tall for me which I didn't expect.
Also have the Ecco Biom Boas which are great. Of course nobody ever recommends anything on here they don't own it seems, so to each their own.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back