News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - Lost Golf Bags, Rangefinders & Lithium Batteries
« on: August 26, 2023, 11:20:26 AM »
I have heard at least half a dozen reports of delayed/missing/lost golf bags this summer on air travel between the U.S. and GB&I.

Some of those bags hold a range finder powered by a lithium battery. There has been some talk that a bag holding a lithium battery gets flagged by airport/airline security and that is what is causing the problems/delays.

Does anyone know more about this?

Matt Schoolfield

Re: OT - Lost Golf Bags, Rangefinders & Lithium Batteries
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2023, 12:55:53 PM »
Yes, you absolutely should not stow lithium ion batteries. They are a very serious fire risk and must be placed in your carry on.

This is addressed where you "click agree" as you check in, where they show the regulations on what you may-and-may-not pack in a checked bag, but most people don’t actually read that.

(edit: this was incorrect and is only applicable to loose lithium ion batteries.)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:01:27 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 07:42:45 PM »
Informative thread.  Have always had rangefinder in bag on trips (same with others who joined me on trips) and never had a problem.  Agree that I (and others) didn't read the check-in fine print.

Will keep rangefinder separate on next golf trip.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Daryl David

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 07:45:40 PM »
I think the question is not whether you can have range finders with lithium batteries in your checked luggage but rather whether your clubs will be delayed due to having a range finder in the bag?  Does anyone know the answer to that question?  I assume that’s not the issue. Because when the clubs finally arrive they will have the “illegal battery” in them. Why delay them and then send them?  I assume it is the usual airline mistake and has nothing to do with the battery or they would have confiscated it before forwarding.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 08:05:58 PM »
So, I think the main issue is that the FAA/TSA (not the airline) is the one who is going through your bag if you have what appears to be a li-ion battery. They don't really care whether your bag reaches your flight in time. My understanding via a bit of internet-ing here is that bags are delayed for the most mundane of reasons; namely, that there is an effective conveyor belt of baggage, and on full flights, on busy days, standard bags (that don't even get tagged for inspection by TSA) might not end up on the flight because the airport is operating at-or-over capacity. This means that getting a bag pulled by TSA dramatically increases the probability that your bag misses the flight on a busy day. 

It is also worth remembering that many models of rangefinders (not gps units) run on removable Cr2-3V (lithium) batteries. They are removable, they don't look like a typical li-ion batteries, and they only cost about $5 to replace, but they are still probably going to raise the eyebrow of the TSA. (edit: again this is only relevant to loose lithium ion batteries)

Show up early if you have checked bags, read the fine print, and understand that most oversized baggage is going to get, at minimum, a brief TSA search (I know because I fly with a bicycle occasionally, and it has never not been searched).

More info:

FAA - Portable Electronic Devices Containing Batteries (edit: they are generally allowed in checked baggage): https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/portable-electronic-devices-with-batteries

FAA - Lithium Batteries (edit: they are not allowed in checked baggage): https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

Close call caused by a single li-ion battery in 2018: https://www.marketwatch.com/story/this-delta-flight-scare-is-a-reminder-why-you-should-never-put-electronics-with-lithium-batteries-in-checked-baggage-2018-03-13
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:00:54 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Daryl David

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 09:00:07 PM »
So you are saying if they detect an ion battery in your golf bag, the TSA will pull the bag aside so it misses that flight. Then go ahead and put that bag on the next flight without removing the battery. I guess that’s a penalty for violating TSA rules by forcing you to wait another flight to get your bag. But after the penalty is applied, they put the dangerous bag right back in another plane. Yeah, that makes sense.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 09:07:39 PM »
So you are saying if they detect an ion battery in your golf bag, the TSA will pull the bag aside so it misses that flight. Then go ahead and put that bag on the next flight without removing the battery. I guess that’s a penalty for violating TSA rules by forcing you to wait another flight to get your bag. But after the penalty is applied, they put the dangerous bag right back in another plane. Yeah, that makes sense.

Ahh, yes, I definitely misunderstood the point you were making. You have a good point, I have no idea why that would happen short of just automatically checking oversized bags.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Daryl David

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 09:11:04 PM »
I think the airlines would love to blame delayed golf clubs on the TSA and the lithium battery issue. Take the heat off of them for a change.  ;D

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2023, 09:16:10 PM »
I think the airlines would love to blame delayed golf clubs on the TSA and the lithium battery issue. Take the heat off of them for a change.  ;D

Definitely agree. I typically try and arrive with enough time to have a relaxing whisky before resign myself to the sardine can.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2023, 11:09:15 PM »
Not buying this at all. I travel with laser and computer and never had an issue.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2023, 01:44:16 AM »
Nobody knows why your bags get misplaced or delayed. Least of all the internet. It just happens.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:45:52 AM by Ben Sims »

David_Tepper

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2023, 03:25:49 AM »
A discussion of the topic below. It may (or may not) be helpful:

https://www.ubergolf.net/can-you-fly-with-a-golf-rangefinder/

Mike Worth

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2023, 06:30:47 AM »
Not buying this at all. I travel with laser and computer and never had an issue.

I’m with you. I took an extended 30 day trip to Europe with the golf bag this summer.  It involved 3 flights (EWR-EDI, EDI-Oslo, Oslo-EWR). No issues. 

Also, one has to be present at the oversize baggage check in, and no agent flagged my bag for the rangefinder traveling in the luggage.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2023, 06:46:59 AM »
So, I think the main issue is that the FAA/TSA (not the airline) is the one who is going through your bag if you have what appears to be a li-ion battery.

It is also worth remembering that many models of rangefinders (not gps units) run on removable Cr2-3V (lithium) batteries. They are removable, they don't look like a typical li-ion batteries, and they only cost about $5 to replace, but they are still probably going to raise the eyebrow of the TSA.

FAA - Portable Electronic Devices Containing Batteries: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/portable-electronic-devices-with-batteries

FAA - Lithium Batteries: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

Matt,
Your speculation does not jibe with the information in one of the links that you posted. According to the FAA:
Most consumer personal electronic devices containing batteries are allowed in carry-on and checked baggage, including but not limited to cell phones, smart phones, data loggers, PDAs, electronic games, tablets, laptop computers, cameras, camcorders, watches, calculators, etc. This covers typical dry cell batteries and lithium metal and lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics (AA, AAA, C, D, button cell, camera batteries, laptop batteries, etc.)

A CR2 battery properly installed in a rangefinder would almost certainly fit the description of "most consumer personal electronic devices."

Some airlines may have different policies, but Delta makes passengers agree that they are not carrying loose or spare Li- batteries. This is consistent with the FAA guidance. The greater risk from loose batteries is that they are packaged in unknown ways and could be more easily damaged or come into contact with some other substance. Properly installed batteries in a device that is powered down are not the concern.

Golf clubs and other types of baggage get delayed for all sorts of reasons, but I don't think a hunt for rangefinders is one of them.

Rick Sides

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 07:43:36 AM »
My sticks almost always get searched

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2023, 10:47:46 AM »
So, I think the main issue is that the FAA/TSA (not the airline) is the one who is going through your bag if you have what appears to be a li-ion battery.

It is also worth remembering that many models of rangefinders (not gps units) run on removable Cr2-3V (lithium) batteries. They are removable, they don't look like a typical li-ion batteries, and they only cost about $5 to replace, but they are still probably going to raise the eyebrow of the TSA.

FAA - Portable Electronic Devices Containing Batteries: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/portable-electronic-devices-with-batteries

FAA - Lithium Batteries: https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/lithium-batteries

Matt,
Your speculation does not jibe with the information in one of the links that you posted. According to the FAA:
Most consumer personal electronic devices containing batteries are allowed in carry-on and checked baggage, including but not limited to cell phones, smart phones, data loggers, PDAs, electronic games, tablets, laptop computers, cameras, camcorders, watches, calculators, etc. This covers typical dry cell batteries and lithium metal and lithium ion batteries for consumer electronics (AA, AAA, C, D, button cell, camera batteries, laptop batteries, etc.)

A CR2 battery properly installed in a rangefinder would almost certainly fit the description of "most consumer personal electronic devices."

Some airlines may have different policies, but Delta makes passengers agree that they are not carrying loose or spare Li- batteries. This is consistent with the FAA guidance. The greater risk from loose batteries is that they are packaged in unknown ways and could be more easily damaged or come into contact with some other substance. Properly installed batteries in a device that is powered down are not the concern.

Golf clubs and other types of baggage get delayed for all sorts of reasons, but I don't think a hunt for rangefinders is one of them.

A refreshing take.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2023, 12:30:44 PM »

On return flight from 9 day trip to Scotland in '91, all of my dirty laundry (including clothes from last round at Southerness where it poured for 18 holes) were in my club carrier. Hadn't shaved for the entire trip, and fit the description of a terrorist. Arrived in Toronto on Air Canada flight and went thru customs. My buddies walked right through. I got flagged and taken to the side. Guy opened my club carrier which was extremely ripe. He must have regretted his decision to do that.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2023, 12:57:35 PM »
Matt,

This is why I try to give citations when I make claims. I seem to have been mistaken and I will update the previous comments to reflect that.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:22:38 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2023, 01:05:33 PM »
Please don’t edit your mistakes. No one wants to read anyone’s post twice. Plus it makes you seem less chat botty.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2023, 01:17:41 PM »
Please don’t edit your mistakes. No one wants to read anyone’s post twice.
I use strikethroughs so that anyone who comes by later (even years later) can read my comment, but immediately understand that there is something wrong with it. I'm happy to learn that I'm wrong about something, but I'm not going to accidentally misinform going forward.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 01:21:36 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green

Kalen Braley

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2023, 01:23:49 PM »

On return flight from 9 day trip to Scotland in '91, all of my dirty laundry (including clothes from last round at Southerness where it poured for 18 holes) were in my club carrier. Hadn't shaved for the entire trip, and fit the description of a terrorist. Arrived in Toronto on Air Canada flight and went thru customs. My buddies walked right through. I got flagged and taken to the side. Guy opened my club carrier which was extremely ripe. He must have regretted his decision to do that.

This reminds me of a traveling companion years ago who was of middle eastern descent but was very well put together. We were traveling to India in 2005, (approx. 4 years post 9-11), and despite being a US citizen from birth was "randomly selected" for the full check-over every. single. time. he flew...says he lost track after about 20 searches.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2023, 01:27:51 PM »

This reminds me of a traveling companion years ago who was of middle eastern descent but was very well put together. We were traveling to India in 2005, (approx. 4 years post 9-11), and despite being a US citizen from birth was "randomly selected" for the full check-over every. single. time. he flew...says he lost track after about 20 searches.

How would you describe “well put together “ without coming off racist?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2023, 01:31:16 PM »

How would you describe “well put together “ without coming off racist?

That's funny.  I've met people of all ethnicities who were either dressed poorly with bad hygiene or dressed sharp in nice clothes and well groomed.

Never heard the racist angle until now...nice work Barney!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2023, 01:44:13 PM »
A US Citizen traveling on business to India being “well put together” can go unsaid.

JohnVDB

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2023, 02:28:42 PM »
If the TSA was pulling bags with lithium batteries, every bag with an Apple AirTag would be getting pulled.

When my girlfriend and I went to Iceland in 2021, my golf clubs with a rangefinder in the bag made it but her bag got left behind.  It’s random.

That being said, golf bags are oversized and get handled differently. Since they probably don’t go through the automated baggage handlers, they can. Easily be put aside and missed.

In 2019, I officiated at the second Korn Ferry tournament of the season in the Bahamas.  The Monday afterward, many of the players and I were on a small commercial flight to Miami where they had qualifiers for future events.  Since the plane wasn’t big, about half the golf clubs got left off the flight. Needless to say there were a lot of very unhappy players.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back