News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Wayne_Kozun

Former PGA Tour star Paul Azinger and the architecture firm of Fry/Straka Global Golf Course Design have partnered to build 18 main holes and more for the new riverside Miakka Golf Club in Myakka City, Florida.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2023/08/18/paul-azinger-fry-straka-design-to-build-course-for-new-miakka-golf-club-florida/

Steve Lapper

I certainly hope "Zinger" is better at course architecture than he is at golf commentary.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Wayne_Kozun

Given some of his comments about golf courses - I highly doubt it.  Isn't he part of the, "don't roll back the ball, narrow fairways and grow higher rough" contingent?

JMEvensky

I certainly hope "Zinger" is better at course architecture than he is at golf commentary.

He has to be--what are the odds that one guy could be the worst in history at 2 separate things?

David Cronan

Given some of his comments about golf courses - I highly doubt it.  Isn't he part of the, "don't roll back the ball, narrow fairways and grow higher rough" contingent?

A cursory look at this link, which looks like a pitch to hire him to renovate/restore/destroy the Bobby Jones Golf Club here in Sarasota, reveals Exhibit A in Shameless Self-Promotion.

The fact that he’s able to elevate himself above both Bobby Jones and the course’s architect, some guy named Donald Ross, indicate either QAnon level crazy or a drinking problem rivaled by only a handful in the world.

For those that imbibe,  I suggest starting a couple hours before clicking on the hyperlink. For others, I don’t know what to tell you….

http://friendsofbobbyjonesgolfclub.org/azingerinitiative
« Last Edit: August 22, 2023, 12:03:32 PM by David Cronan »

mike_beene

Not to mention his supposed contribution to equipment: the belly putter. But his teacher John Redman sure gave great lessons!

Matthew Rose

His brother Jed is an architect; it wouldn't surprise me if he was heavily involved.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Connor Lewis

I was fortunate enough to walk the property a couple of months ago. It’s a beautiful sprawling property that runs along the river with some good elevation changes.

I predict it’s going to be one heck of a golf course.

jeffwarne

Is that real?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Cronan

Is that real?

The development or the link? Happy to say yes about the former. And stunningly, yes to the latter.

Jeff_Brauer

His brother Jed is an architect; it wouldn't surprise me if he was heavily involved.

I don't know anything about Jed or Paul as architects, but if Jason and Dana are the lead architects, I have no doubt it will be great.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve Lapper

I don't know anything about Jed or Paul as architects, but if Jason and Dana are the lead architects, I have no doubt it will be great.

Dana and Jason are unquestionably talented architects. I can't sing enough praises for their bold and often brilliant efforts in South Jersey at Union League National. No doubt, they should be the primary, and probably absolute, influence on whatever they build on any property they are hired for.

What is a certain shame is that whomever the financial developer of this project has chosen Paul Azinger to "co-design," promote and "name-hog" the course. From "Zinger tees" to the historic muting of Donald Ross, allowing this ex-pro golfer huckster to share whatever recognition is an embarrassment to the trade. It's as if Jackson Pollack gave a brush, a dip in the can, and a swing across the canvas to an idiot and then allowed the idiot to take credit.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised Jason and Dana are comfortable with such an arrangement?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 09:42:14 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

jeffwarne

Dana and Jason are unquestionably talented architects. I can't sing enough praises for their bold and often brilliant efforts in South Jersey at Union League National. No doubt, they should be the primary, and probably absolute, influence on whatever they build on the Bobby Jones Club property.

What is a certain shame is that whomever the financial developer of this project has chosen Paul Azinger to "co-design," promote and "name-hog" the course. From "Zinger tees" to the historic muting of Donald Ross, allowing this ex-pro golfer huckster to share whatever recognition is an embarrassment to the trade. It's as if Jackson Pollack gave a brush, a dip in the can, and a swing across the canvas to an idiot and then allowed the idiot to take credit.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised Jason and Dana are comfortable with such an arrangement?

That's kind've what I meant.(the branding is right out of a 90's golf boom playbook-think Wicked Stick)
To clarify, is this a redo of a Donald Ross course? or a completely new course on virgin land on the property?

I always liked Zinger as a player,his late bloomimg story, his beat of cancer.
Lots to admire.
Commentary not so much...but some like it.

i wonder how much Zinger has to do with the branding vs. some out of touch marketing firm(or maybe they ARE in touch ;(  )
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

archie_struthers

8)

I would guess that "Zinger" owns a good piece of the deal

David Cronan

Dana and Jason are unquestionably talented architects. I can't sing enough praises for their bold and often brilliant efforts in South Jersey at Union League National. No doubt, they should be the primary, and probably absolute, influence on whatever they build on the Bobby Jones Club property.

That's kind've what I meant.(the branding is right out of a 90's golf boom playbook-think Wicked Stick)
To clarify, is this a redo of a Donald Ross course? or a completely new course on virgin land on the property?

I always liked Zinger as a player,his late bloomimg story, his beat of cancer.
Lots to admire.
Commentary not so much...but some like it.

i wonder how much Zinger has to do with the branding vs. some out of touch marketing firm(or maybe they ARE in touch ;(  )

The course that Wayne spoke of in the initial post is a new development.

The link I provided in an earlier post was “Zinger’s” pitch to redo the Bobby Jone Golf Club, also located in Sarasota.

Sorry for any confusion.

Richard_Mandell

Paul Azinger was not involved in our Bobby Jones Golf Club project in any shape, form, or fashion. I was asked to have dinner with him in the early part of the design process.  Once he realized there was no place for him, the meal pretty much wrapped up.

The Ross restoration, practice facility, and the nine-hole adjustable course are all grassed as of last week and we are looking at a November opening. The adjustable course will play five different ways with 30 different holes.

Steve Lapper

Paul Azinger was not involved in our Bobby Jones Golf Club project in any shape, form, or fashion. I was asked to have dinner with him in the early part of the design process.  Once he realized there was no place for him, the meal pretty much wrapped up.

The Ross restoration, practice facility, and the nine-hole adjustable course are all grassed as of last week and we are looking at a November opening. The adjustable course will play five different ways with 30 different holes.

Richard,

Congratulations on all counts!

Greg Hohman

Is that real?

The development or the link? Happy to say yes about the former. And stunningly, yes to the latter.

A future iteration of that website could be sans Zinger Initiative. Does someone here have the ability to preserve it for posterity in this thread?
newmonumentsgc.com

Richard_Mandell

That website is not affiliated with the City of Sarasota, Bobby Jones, or Bobby Jones Golf Club.  So it is irrelevant as to what it shows as those initiatives as well have nothing to do with the City of Sarasota, Bobby Jones, or Bobby Jones Golf Club.

David Cronan

That website is not affiliated with the City of Sarasota, Bobby Jones, or Bobby Jones Golf Club.  So it is irrelevant as to what it shows as those initiatives as well have nothing to do with the City of Sarasota, Bobby Jones, or Bobby Jones Golf Club.

The website was created 10 years ago by, I assume, some well-meaning folks who formed  a group that hoped to “save” the course from falling into further disrepair. They believed that bringing on “Zinger” would add some heft/gravitas to their cause, and as Richard stated, that’s about the extent of his involvement with Bobby Jones Golf Club, as I understand.

All that said, the Zinger Initiative makes for a hilarious read in hubris.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:04:50 AM by David Cronan »

Tim Martin

I can’t think of anyone that has gotten more mileage out of a Ryder Cup captaincy than Paul Azinger. I guess you could throw Paul McGinley into the conversation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back