News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

New Book. Grass Routes by GCA poster Richard Pennell.
« on: August 17, 2023, 04:37:29 AM »
https://pitchmarks.bigcartel.com/product/grass-routes-by-richard-pennell

A handsome paperback in a slip cover has just arrived and it's a delight. Richard will be known to many on here and they will not be surprised he writes with warmth, gentle humour, a love of history and more than somewhat stylishly.  I know he's played many of the most famous Courses in the world, but for the book he chooses to write mostly about the wonderful experiences to be had playing with interesting characters on 'characterful' courses. Its on these 18 courses in England and Wales that he has reignited his deep love for golf.

Incidentally this would do as an ideal primer for BUDA, as 3 of the 4 courses this year are included.
"...Minch Old seems to exist as a rare and respectful custodian of the purest version of gollf, the version we all fell in love with somewhere along the way, regardless of our location at the time. It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in dialogue with nature while knocking a ball around."

Will keep this to hand for the dark days of winter.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2023, 05:35:08 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

Re: New Book. Grass Routes by GCA poster Richard Pennell.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 05:49:33 AM »
Well said. Beautifully written and a splendid read. Great photos too. Well worth acquiring.

Atb

Mark Smolens

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2023, 05:21:30 PM »
Love reading Pitchmarks. Still awaiting my copy of Grass Route to arrive.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 02:55:50 PM »
If you have a deep love for golf, why should it need to be reignited?

Asking for a pile of kindling.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 11:56:05 PM »
If you have a deep love for golf, why should it need to be reignited?

Asking for a pile of kindling.

Did your comments make you feel superior? Honestly, what goes through your head sometimes?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Kennemer, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Domburgh, Winterfield, Alnmouth, Old Barnwell

Richard Pennell

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 03:17:24 AM »
https://pitchmarks.bigcartel.com/product/grass-routes-by-richard-pennell

A handsome paperback in a slip cover has just arrived and it's a delight. Richard will be known to many on here and they will not be surprised he writes with warmth, gentle humour, a love of history and more than somewhat stylishly.  I know he's played many of the most famous Courses in the world, but for the book he chooses to write mostly about the wonderful experiences to be had playing with interesting characters on 'characterful' courses. Its on these 18 courses in England and Wales that he has reignited his deep love for golf.

Incidentally this would do as an ideal primer for BUDA, as 3 of the 4 courses this year are included.
"...Minch Old seems to exist as a rare and respectful custodian of the purest version of gollf, the version we all fell in love with somewhere along the way, regardless of our location at the time. It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in dialogue with nature while knocking a ball around."

Will keep this to hand for the dark days of winter.

Tony, thank you for this! Perhaps, given that it took me this long to notice your kind reference to Grass Routes, the post title ought to include "infrequent" between "GCA" and "poster"! Appreciate the mention, and while whoever Ronald Montesano is may not wish to indulge, a sneak preview of the book can be found here...https://open.substack.com/pub/pitchmarks/p/grass-routes-prologue?utm_campaign=post&utm_medium=web

While I rarely find time for GCA these days, I have learned so much and made many friends through this site and the shared passion for great architecture, so until next time, thank you!!!
"The rules committee of the Royal and Ancient are yesterday's men, Jeeves. They simply have to face up to the modern world" Bertie Wooster

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back