News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

OT- Maintenance Worker Stung By 2000 Bees @Sun City West GC
« on: August 22, 2023, 08:24:27 PM »
Maintenance worker stung nearly 2,000 times at Sun City West golf course; on life support A man is fighting for his life at a Valley hospital after being stung an estimated 2,000 times at a Sun City West golf course over the weekend.According to Arizona Fire Medical Authority, the incident happened early Saturday morning at the Pebblebrook Golf Course in Sun City West. When firefighters arrived, they found a man, a maintenance worker in his 50s, covered in bees. “We thought it was grass clippings on his face but as we got closer, we realized those were actually bees,” one crew member wrote on their report. Firefighters dressed in bee hoods and deployed a hose line with foam to subdue the bees. Authorities then immediately rushed the man to a nearby hospital where, as of Monday morning, he remains intubated.
So far this year, AFMA has responded to 6 bee incidents. They responded to a total of 15 bee incidents in 2022.

https://www.azfamily.com/2023/08/21/maintenance-worker-stung-nearly-2000-times-sun-city-west-golf-course-life-support/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Matt Schoolfield

Re: OT- Maintenance Worker Stung By 2000 Bees @Sun City West GC
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2023, 09:07:00 PM »
Uff... such a tragedy. If anyone is in the area, please let me know if there is any fund or anything.

Likely invasive Africanized honey bees given the region (technically all wild honey bees are invasive in the states). Most people can simply outrun bees in such an attack. I grew up in a region that has had this subspecies since I was a child, yet even in that region most did not know this basic safety precaution. Whenever I am stung, the first thing I'm thinking is to be ready run as I assess my situation. I just wish it was more common knowledge.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Ken Moum

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2023, 03:43:42 AM »
A few years ago I talked to very experienced beekeeper in Tempe (50+ years), and he said he assumed all of his hives were Africanized. And dressed appropriately when working them.

Oddly, he also said he liked them, because they were hardier.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 10:50:16 AM »
I saw an incident like that when on a site visit to my project in Indonesia, circa 1990 or so.  The bulldozer was clearing trees when a nest fell right in his lap, causing about 100 stings.  We rushed him to the local hospital, which was so filthy I wouldn't take my dogs there, much less people.  He survived.  He was a friend/shaper on previous projects I brought over there, so I felt somewhat responsible.

It did make me rethink where I worked a bit.  That, plus my then young kids getting old enough to realize I was gone a few weeks at a time made me quit Asia work for many years.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2023, 01:20:34 AM »
Good news: The maintenance worker is no longer intubated.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back