News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Drew May

New Member Intro
« on: August 14, 2023, 11:34:44 AM »
Hi, briefly introducing myself.  I am truly enamored with all the history that your website has compiled and the 150 custodians.
Ran - thanks for allowing me to join.
I grew up caddying at Greenbriar Hills in St. Louis, MO before heading to Ohio St and never leaving Columbus, OH. My wife and 3 young kids play/swim/eat at Worthington Hills.  Our longtime super is Jim Cola who was at Pine Needles when it hosted the Women’s US Open in the early 2000s. Jimmy takes a large group from WH to Pine Needles and Mid-Pines every spring. 
I told Ran that Moraine in Dayton is the best course that no one has ever heard of and that the European Club is my favorite 20-hole golf course.
I am looking forward to reading the lively discussion from all of the experts in this group.
Best,
Drew
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 11:37:23 AM by Drew May »

PCCraig

Re: New Member Intro
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2023, 12:36:39 PM »
Welcome Drew!
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2023, 12:47:38 PM »
Keep throwing heat Mr. May!!!

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2023, 12:53:15 PM »
Welcome Drew. Some must have heard about Moraine as it is #72 on GOLF magazines 2022-23 Top 100. I agree with you, its an amazing golf course on land that one doesn't expect to see in the U.S. It is superbly sublime while also being an exciting challenge.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2023, 01:32:22 PM »
Moraine? Everybody’s heard of it.

Miami Valley. That’s your huckleberry for nobody has ever heard of it.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

JLahrman

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2023, 03:45:24 PM »
Everybody on this website has heard of Moraine, which means that nobody has heard of it.

Kind of like Lin-Manuel Miranda's joke about how well-known he is in the first line of his SNL intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsupmN90wBk

But for sure, nobody has heard of Miami Valley.

As a longtime Ohio resident, and a Columbus resident from 1993-2001 (undergrad plus my first four years of work) now living in Grand Rapids MI, good to have you Drew. I never played Worthington Hills though I do think I attended a dinner or two there. Now THAT's a course nobody has heard of, what can you tell us about it?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 04:31:08 PM by JLahrman »

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2023, 03:58:52 PM »
Howdy, and welcome.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Mike Hendren

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2023, 05:27:58 PM »
Miami Valley. That’s your huckleberry for nobody has ever heard of it.

I enjoyed my round at Miami Valley but consider it somewhat pedestrian for a Ross.  Tough neighborhood. Welcome Drew.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Steve Zivin

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2023, 06:55:43 PM »
Hi All,

I'm going to follow Drew's lead and introduce myself as a new member. As a long time reader of the GCA threads, it's a privilege to be invited in by Ran. My knowledge and understanding of golf architecture and history has been enriched immeasurably by the GCA crew. I am forever thankful as this has directly translated to increasing my enjoyment of both golf and life.

Recently, McKellar Magazine was kind enough to publish my first attempt at golf writing. It's a war story about the origin and building of what is now Royal Hague. I'm hopeful that I will have the opportunity to tell additional golf stories in the future.

In the meantime, I will continue to learn from everyone on GCA and perhaps tee it up with some of you in the future.

Steve Zivin
Wilmette, IL

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2023, 06:57:44 PM »
Link?

Drew May

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2023, 07:15:24 PM »
Everybody on this website has heard of Moraine, which means that nobody has heard of it.

Kind of like Lin-Manuel Miranda's joke about how well-known he is in the first line of his SNL intro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsupmN90wBk

But for sure, nobody has heard of Miami Valley.

As a longtime Ohio resident, and a Columbus resident from 1993-2001 (undergrad plus my first four years of work) now living in Grand Rapids MI, good to have you Drew. I never played Worthington Hills though I do think I attended a dinner or two there. Now THAT's a course nobody has heard of, what can you tell us about it?

I think that sums up the intent of my comment about Moraine.   

Worthington Hills was designed by Charlie Lorms in the early 60s. He was the pro at Columbus CC (recently restored). I think the only other course Charlie designed is Brookside which is a regular stop on Golf’s Longest Day.

Our membership is mostly great and the course is straightforward tee to green with subtle elevation changes. Worthington Hills has been known for our Poa greens which I think are phenomenal to putt on.

Several years ago, The Golf Club replaced their greens with bent and I think that left us with the last Poa greens in Columbus.

I’ve read the “Attack on Poa” thread from 2008 a handful of times…all I can say is that I love the PASSION in this group.

Daryl David

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2023, 07:17:32 PM »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2023, 07:41:47 PM »
As I just did. Can’t wait.

David Amarnek

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2023, 07:44:31 PM »
Drew,
Welcome.
Caddying at Greenbriar must have been quite the challenge as it's not exactly a walking-friendly routing.  I've played there in a few charity events for my son's old school (with carts!).  The clubhouse is currently undergoing a major renovation and they just added the requisite pickle ball courts.

David

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2023, 01:32:26 PM »
Drew - this is a totally random question but are you - or were you - the lacrosse coach at Worthington Kilbourne? I didn't play lacrosse nor do I follow it - but I just looked you up on LinkedIn (connection request forthcoming!) and think I found you. If that is in fact you nice work with your coaching, some great accomplishments there!

I ask because I'm a Columbus native now living in California, but I try to come back often and it would be great to play some golf with you. I grew up playing at the OSU courses.

A guy I went to high school with (Amos Allison) is the head tennis pro at Worthington Hills -- great guy. Not sure if you or any family member plays tennis. Looks like a great club.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2023, 05:57:54 PM »
Welcome aboard Drew.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2023, 09:11:54 PM »
Hi All,

I'm going to follow Drew's lead and introduce myself as a new member. As a long time reader of the GCA threads, it's a privilege to be invited in by Ran. My knowledge and understanding of golf architecture and history has been enriched immeasurably by the GCA crew. I am forever thankful as this has directly translated to increasing my enjoyment of both golf and life.

Recently, McKellar Magazine was kind enough to publish my first attempt at golf writing. It's a war story about the origin and building of what is now Royal Hague. I'm hopeful that I will have the opportunity to tell additional golf stories in the future.

In the meantime, I will continue to learn from everyone on GCA and perhaps tee it up with some of you in the future.

Steve Zivin
Wilmette, IL

Steve,

Just received the McKellar. Your article represents all the good of GCA. Congrats!!!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 10:53:43 PM »
Welcome, Drew. I'll be at the European Club this fall for a few days. It is one of my favorite places to be, and I have played dozens of rounds there. Pat Ruddy is just a great guy to be around.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Warren

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2023, 06:52:23 AM »
I told Ran that Moraine in Dayton is the best course that no one has ever heard of and that the European Club is my favorite 20-hole golf course.

Welcome, Drew!

Are we to assume then that The European Club is the only 20-hole golf course you’ve played?

Because if so, that would also make it the worst one you’ve played…

Lost Farm 10&8s TEC in a head-to-head of 20-hole golf courses.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 06:58:47 AM by Scott Warren »

archie_struthers

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2023, 07:24:42 AM »
 8)

Welcome Drew, we can have some dialogue on the "wonders of poa" some day!

look forward to your participation

David Wuthrich

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 10:01:00 AM »
Welcome guys!  Nice to have you on board!

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 10:28:46 AM »

Are we to assume then that The European Club is the only 20-hole golf course you’ve played?

;D

Drew May

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 11:51:24 AM »
Drew,
Welcome.
Caddying at Greenbriar must have been quite the challenge as it's not exactly a walking-friendly routing.  I've played there in a few charity events for my son's old school (with carts!).  The clubhouse is currently undergoing a major renovation and they just added the requisite pickle ball courts.

David

David - Thanks for the note.  It was not an easy walk especially going up to number 8 and down number 12.  There were about a dozen members that would walk and take caddies.  Everyone else rode. 

I need to play there again.  It's been too long. 

Drew May

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 11:54:16 AM »

Welcome, Drew!

Lost Farm 10&8s TEC in a head-to-head of 20-hole golf courses.

;D

Ha! Love it.  I figured this group of experts would know other courses with an atypical number of holes.

Drew May

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2023, 12:19:28 PM »
Drew - this is a totally random question but are you - or were you - the lacrosse coach at Worthington Kilbourne? I didn't play lacrosse nor do I follow it - but I just looked you up on LinkedIn (connection request forthcoming!) and think I found you. If that is in fact you nice work with your coaching, some great accomplishments there!

I ask because I'm a Columbus native now living in California, but I try to come back often and it would be great to play some golf with you. I grew up playing at the OSU courses.

A guy I went to high school with (Amos Allison) is the head tennis pro at Worthington Hills -- great guy. Not sure if you or any family member plays tennis. Looks like a great club.

Hi Matt - That's me.  LinkedIn request accepted. There were some good years and memories coaching at Kilbourne.  Thank you for the kind words. 

You know Amos?!  I'm not a tennis player but do play platform in the winter.  I think Worthington Hills has a really strong bench of tennis players.   

As far as golf goes, I discussed the Ohio State Scarlet Course with Ronald Montesano after his recent trip there.  There were some long discussion threads about Scarlet's renovations in the mid-aughts.  I'm happy to revive that discussion thread because it is such a shame that Nicklaus did his thing there. 

Reach out any time you are in town.  Happy to host you at WHCC. 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 12:22:51 PM by Drew May »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back