News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Frank Sekulic

Paako Ridge or Black Mesa
« on: July 19, 2023, 11:05:58 PM »
I will be in Santa Fe this weekend and am looking to play a quick 18.

Any insights into which would be a better choice to spend 4 hours?

Thanks

astavrides

Re: Paako Ridge or Black Mesa
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2023, 06:25:01 AM »
I like Paa Ko better, but Black Mesa is very good too, and unique.
Paa Ko will have a high temp of 90 this weekend, B. Mesa 100.
Paa Ko is $225+tax. B. Mesa about $100.
Paa Ko is 60 min from S. Fe, B. Mesa about 30.
I haven't played either this year, but Paa Ko should be in better condition, especially with this hot, dry weather we've had for the last month or so. I'd ask about conditions when I call, or look at google reviews. In general, B. Mesa conditions improve a little every year, but last year, it still wasn't quite typical top 100 public course conditions, but close.
As a single, shouldn't be a problem to get a decent tee time on either.

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 06:50:30 PM »
If you play Paa Ko, I'd try to play 1-18. 19-27 are pretty good too, but not as good as the original 18, and have a bit of a different look and feel.

Kyle Harris

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 08:28:32 PM »
Santa Fe Country Club.

Tom Bendelow. Worth it for the 10-13 stretch alone.
http://kylewharris.com

Constantly blamed by 8-handicaps for their 7 missed 12-footers each round.

Thank you for changing the font of your posts. It makes them easier to scroll past.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2023, 02:58:46 PM »
I thought BM closed, good to hear it hasn’t but might want to check on conditioning, a while back I heard it had gone downhill. I loved BM and would play it again over Paa Ko,, which is so fine but BM has lots of elevation changes and rolls.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2023, 03:55:10 PM »
Way too cool:

The New Mexico course opened to superlatives in 2003, but nearly succumbed to and suffered from the effects of a monsoon 11 years later. Today, the Baxter Spann design is enjoying its renaissance.

Read more:

How Black Mesa Wrote its Comeback Story - Sports Illustrated Golf: News, Scores, Equipment, Instruction, Travel, Courses
« Last Edit: July 22, 2023, 04:04:47 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 04:32:46 PM »
I second Santa Fe CC. A very nice high desert walk. Also, can’t remember name but there is a spectacular reservation course 30 minutes south of Santa Fe past the large lake. I would check conditioning.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 06:33:47 PM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Frank Sekulic

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 08:05:54 PM »
Thanks for all the info

I ended up playing Black Mesa, which I enjoyed.

The course was in pretty good shape although the tees could use a bit of work.

There are a number of blind shots and it important you are on the right tier on the green as some putts above the hole are near impossible but, all in all I enjoyed the course and I would definitely play it again

mike_beene

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2023, 12:44:36 PM »
Yes. Cochiti

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2023, 05:23:17 PM »
Cochiti might not be the best of the courses but it is very fun.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Tufts

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2023, 12:04:43 PM »
Does Towa have any redeeming features?
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2023, 09:20:11 PM »

They have 27 holes. I only played 18 (Valley and Pinion 9's). It was a quick, fun and inexpensive round. Here's a link to photos: [size=78%]https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157644669748170[/size]

astavrides

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2023, 10:52:41 PM »

Mainly that it was easy to get on, even during the pandemic golf boom. A few good holes, many mediocre or worse ones. Conditioning is spotty, at least as of a year or two ago.

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2023, 03:50:48 PM »
Jeez.  It must be 20+ years since we played our little outing at Black Mesa with Baxter.  Kinda a lead-in to a King's Putter if this foggy brain remembers correctly.....

Steve Lang

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2023, 07:08:13 PM »
JC, 

It was "THE LAND OF ENCHANTMENT GCA OUTING" ... Adam Clayman was an 'unofficial/official' host and Baxter gave us the inside at Black Mesa and PaaKoo Ridge.  Mike Nuzzo said he only worked on traps at BM!

Some of us also played the UNM Course next to the airport and Twin Warriors on way to Santa Fe...

Remembering Ran showing up late at Black Mesa in his business suit and then thinking better of playing in such sartorial splendor, we  waited for his return and played a best ball match with him and Doug Wright... Ms Sheila almost made the impossible putt challenge on 15...

I have a small assortment of photos from the Pink Adobe dinner... somewhere in the archives

Remember waving goodbye to George Pazin on the elevators at the airport...
« Last Edit: August 04, 2023, 09:15:09 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2023, 07:31:03 PM »
I read the linked article and was pretty astonished to read that there were originally 157 bunkers on the course, and they've grassed over 130 of them!

I liked the original course but I always see the name Black Mesa with a twinge of regret because I did a routing for a second 18 holes there sometime around 2007 or 2008, and of course it never happened because of the financial crisis.  There's some beautiful property for golf out there.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back