News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Crackin' CARDIGAN GC
« on: July 28, 2023, 05:01:13 PM »

Not an easy course to include in a golf trip even if one is as far west as Tenby, Cardigan will, however, handsomely repay any who venture to Gwbert on Sea. Intrepid travellers have long raved about the views over Cardigan Bay; much the same should be said about the golf. Fred W Hawtree extended the course to 18 holes during the 70s which included some less linksy holes on top of the hill. To be fair, Cardigan is not a links, but it does share some elements of links which include bouncy fairways and tumbling terrain....in an albeit fairly minimalist and straight-forward manner.

The course starts off slow as it winds it's way up the hill. The first hole of true interest comes at the dogleg right third. The fairways were somewhat burned out, making the sloped fairways difficult to hold.

Playful terrain greets us on the 4th. 

Cardigan opens with five two-shotters and the 5th is the unusual hole of the lot. Doglegging hard right...maybe 80 degrees, even if the predictable placement drive is executed well the uphill approach is nasty. This is one of the longest 360 yards I can recall playing. Trying to cut the corner is no bueno for most golfers.

Our entire Welsh trip was beset with 25mph west wind. Playing into the wind, the 181 yard 6th required a driver...a common theme for me these days. Excellent hole.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 10:37:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Thomas Dai

Re: Crackin' CARDIGAN GC: 1-6
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2023, 05:21:15 PM »
Glad you’ve finally made it to Cardigan.
Not the easiest course to get to what with its rather remote location and the relatively few main roads leading directly to it.
Cracking course. Stunning views. Lovely town as well.
Looking forward to seeing the rest of your photos etc.
Nice reminder of my visit there last year when the course was exceptionally firm and fast. Almost white in colour in places.
Atb

PS - Here’s a West Wales thread I started last year which includes photos etc of Newport Links, Cardigan GC and what could be epically amazing clifftop holes at the Cliffs Hotel near Cardigan GC - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,71246.msg1712284.html#msg1712284
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 05:55:21 PM by Thomas Dai »

jeffwarne

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2023, 12:43:21 PM »
When were these photos taken Sean?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Sean_A

Re: Crackin' CARDIGAN GC: 1-6 New
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2023, 06:43:31 PM »

Jeff

About 5 weeks ago.

Cardigan Tour Cont

A short par 5 playing up then down, the difficulty of 7 is holding the green.

A completely manufactured short hole takes us uphill; not a bad hole the 8th. The 9th is dull and a par 5 to boot. The short 10th isn't much better, but a cool cottage sits next to the tee which gives the reader an idea of the commanding views on offer.

At 454 yards the blind, two-shot 11th isn't easy, but the view over the Aberteifi certainly is. It was an interesting choice to leave the tree.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 05:18:57 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Crackin' CARDIGAN GC: 1-11
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2023, 01:13:10 PM »
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,30982.msg602549.html#msg602549

Interesting to revisit my old thoughts.  I was really taken by the course 15!!!! years ago.  Seen a lot since.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2023, 02:42:34 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2023, 02:13:56 PM »

The 4th when it gets a touch dry.
Bit bouncy it is with a misdirected shot rolling and rolling and rolling offline seemingly forever providing some 'interesting' recovery shots.
atb

Sean_A

Re: Crackin' CARDIGAN GC: 1-11
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2023, 08:30:29 AM »
We descended the hill on the 11th and now climb back up for the 12th. Quite a steep hole, but in keen conditions it doesn't play terribly long.

Cardigan does have its share of connecter holes and it seems to me the long 13th is one such example...not a hole to dwell over. Being ushered to the sublime finishing holes, the 14th is a pretty bruiser.

After the imposing drive is tackled, the sloping right approach too is daunting.

With the fairway leaning right a more sedate 15th still packs a punch.

More to follow.

Ciao

Sean_A

Re: Crackin' CARDIGAN GC: 1-15 New
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2023, 10:36:57 AM »
Cardigan Tour Cont

Like the 14th, 16 is a captivating set piece. Not a short par three, but being downhill negates the length worries. The bigger issue is controlling the ball once on the ground.

The 17th is tempered a bit by the long walk back to the tee. The extra distance does make the hole more about the approach than the drive. If the tee were beyond the 16th green there would be much more of a decision regarding the drive because the green would be reachable. The green is a beauty either way. The first photo shows the tee and bumpy fairway.

After a modest drive it is obvious the green is a difficult target. The flag can just be made out left of the box.

From below there is no hint of the banana shape green. The approach is from the right.

A look at the green from the 18th tee.

With such excellent golf in our rear view mirror, it is easy to overlook the 18th. Its a dead straight par 5, but plays over Cardigan's best tumbling terrain.

I have mixed feelings about Cardigan due to some less than enjoyable holes, yet I am easily reminded of 4-7, 12 & 14-18. Thats ten high quality holes. It must also be noted that while the greens are of a simple nature, their interest is not in question. Add in the beauty of the area and affordable green fee and the result is a clear winner. Yep, another course in my Nifty 50.  1*  2023

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:55:31 AM by Sean_A »

Niall C

Re: Crackin' CARDIGAN GC
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »
Sean

Lovely tour as always. Interesting comment about less than enjoyable holes. I had to stop after 12/13 and have to say I enjoyed every hole up until then. Some were better than others but there were no clunkers. Was the last third of the course markedly poorer than what went before ?

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2023, 04:57:52 PM »
I’m a fan of Cardigan GC. Given the quality of the majority of the holes, it’s very scenic location overlooking the River Teifi, it’s estuary and the coastal views in general I suggest if the course were located in a more popular and more easily accessible part of the U.K. it would receive a great deal of plaudits and a lot of visitors.
Nice town Cardigan is too, just a little awkward to get to/from and golf wise not many other courses nearby other than Newport Links about 30 mins south as its other golf neighbours like St David’s City, Aberystwyth, Lampeter (9) and Borth & Ynylas are all circa 60+ minutes distant and the roads aren’t the speediest to drive at the best of times.

Atb

Ed Tilley

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2023, 07:58:20 AM »
I'm a massive fan of Cardigan. As Sean says, the handful of average, or plain boring (8-10), holes are more than offset by the several superb holes and amazing views. Stayed in a cottage to the right of the 15th fairway in July - the 5th time we've been to lovely Gwbert. The twilight rate was, I think, £25. 7th green is right by the 14th tee so a couple of evenings I played 1-7 and 14-18 which is a very enjoyable 12 hole round.

16 plays into the prevailing wind which can be very strong due to the exposed location. Stopping the ball is often not a problem as it can be practically going backwards when it lands. 14 also plays into the wind and that is one intimidating tee shot into a 3 club breeze!

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2023, 07:36:33 PM »
I'm a massive fan of Cardigan. As Sean says, the handful of average, or plain boring (8-10), holes are more than offset by the several superb holes and amazing views. Stayed in a cottage to the right of the 15th fairway in July - the 5th time we've been to lovely Gwbert. The twilight rate was, I think, £25. 7th green is right by the 14th tee so a couple of evenings I played 1-7 and 14-18 which is a very enjoyable 12 hole round.

16 plays into the prevailing wind which can be very strong due to the exposed location. Stopping the ball is often not a problem as it can be practically going backwards when it lands. 14 also plays into the wind and that is one intimidating tee shot into a 3 club breeze!

Ed

I found 14 highly intimidating!

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 04:34:41 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2023, 04:33:21 AM »
I’d be interested to know how the better local players tackle the 14th hole course management wise.
Wack it and hope or something more subtle?

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back