News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

He has been laughably bad over recent years. So long.
H.P.S.

BHoover

I know it’s a pipe dream, but if there’s a chance to bring back Nick Faldo I am ALL IN on that!

Kevin_Reilly

Nick Faldo was a steady presence in the booth...but if they ever produced written transcripts of what he said on any particular telecast, it would be a bunch of gibberish.  And that is being generous about 'gibberish'.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

John Kavanaugh

I know it’s a pipe dream, but if there’s a chance to bring back Nick Faldo I am ALL IN on that!

What. Couldn’t get Taylor Swift tickets?

Thomas Dai

Why are so many commenters needed? There are a lot of talking heads, influencers and support staff involved in golf these days. Whilst you can’t criticise them for wanting a job and making money to pay their mortgages etc do they really contribute anything worthwhile?

Atb

Mike_Trenham

It’s surprising to me that television producers never seem to hire some of the talent calling the golf coverage on PGA Tour radio.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

BHoover

What. Couldn’t get Taylor Swift tickets?

You’re still alive?

Jim_Coleman

I’m not much of a prayer guy, but this one was answered.

Pat Burke

Nick Faldo was a steady presence in the booth...but if they ever produced written transcripts of what he said on any particular telecast, it would be a bunch of gibberish.  And that is being generous about 'gibberish'.

Faldo and Chamblee as options would likely depend on IF the tour is jumping in bed with the Saudis. Both have been very outspoken and the tour would likely not want that

Steve_ Shaffer

Azinger declined to take a pay cut.

According to sources, Azinger was not fired but was actually in the middle of contract negotiation on a new deal. Parties had agreed on both a schedule for the 2024 season and other terms on a new one-year contract before a formal offer that included the financial terms was presented to the broadcaster.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/paul-azinger-declined-to-take-pay-cut-nbc-lead-golf-analyst
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 09:59:14 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

A.G._Crockett

According to sources, Azinger was not fired but was actually in the middle of contract negotiation on a new deal. Parties had agreed on both a schedule for the 2024 season and other terms on a new one-year contract before a formal offer that included the financial terms was presented to the broadcaster.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/paul-azinger-declined-to-take-pay-cut-nbc-lead-golf-analyst

Thanks for posting this; it makes a lot of sense.

I’m an outlier, I suppose; I never found Azinger to be at all objectionable.  He wasn’t Johnny Miller, but nobody is.

I am curious as to why any of you would keep the volume up when watching a golf tournament with ANY announcer that you don’t like.  I was a basketball coach for 40 years, and I watch most games with the sound off; I don’t need anyone to tell me what I just saw, and the graphics on the screen fill in all the blanks.  I listen to Jay Bilas and Doris Burke because I get smarter by hearing what they have to say, but otherwise I enjoy WATCHING without being distracted by disagreeing with what an announcer just said.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

John Kavanaugh

He is my age. Some of us enjoy not working. It’s is a long way from the bag room at Bay Hill. Like Hoover implied, “Is he still alive?”  All us old guys have a finite time of healthy living left. Why not do it on our own terms?

Tim Martin

In a recent interview with Azinger about the end of his broadcast career he remarked “I’m kind of glad it ended.” Amen to that!!!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back