News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Pondering the 15th at LACC playing at apparently 81 yards for the 3rd round of the US Open.

Might be cool to have an eclectic course thats made up entirely of tough par-3 holes from Major venues.

The more EVIL and SHORT and/or more potentially CARD WRECKING the better.

I wonder what the winning score would be? Suspect it might not be under level 3’s. Suspect it might be rather entertaining for the viewing. Might be somewhat frustrating, perhaps temper tantrum time, for some players though!

Tough hole locations in play, ie none with putting surface contours tweaked to enhance the chances of a hole-in one.

Suggestions …..

Atb

Jeff Evagues

I guess 7 at Pebble qualifies.
Be the ball

Kalen Braley

I would think ANGC would be the obvious choice for the 12th...

David_Tepper

The Postage  Stamp at Troon, #8.

Kevin_Reilly

13 at Merion might be a candidate...especially if played at a shorter distance than 120.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Gene Greco

11 at Shinnecock Hills.
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ben Hollerbach

Holes 1-9 at The Bad Little Nine at Scottsdale National?

Matthew Rose

Pine Valley #10
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Dean DiBerardino

The 122-yard, #14 hole at Engineers Country Club. The 2 or 20 Hole.

Sam Morrow

15 at Memorial Park
8 at Austin Golf Club
12 at Wolf Point

Mark Pearce

How short is short?  13 at Muirfield always feels like a short par 3 and it can seriously wreck a card.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Richard Fisher

7th at Porthcawl
16th at Formby

Tom_Doak

I guess 7 at Pebble qualifies.

I don't argue against Pebble Beach often, but I will insist that the 7th at Barnbougle is more evil and card-wrecking than the 7th at Pebble.

I will be surprised if there is a good answer for the opening hole in this discussion.  Who would do that?

Niall C

I seem to recall that the first at Lytham wrecked Woosie's card although perhaps not due to the design of the hole.

Niall

Kyle Casella

12 (Main) / 11 (Champ) at Brookline- such a fun shot. I think both Fitz and Scheffler bogeyed in the final round in 2022.
6 at Boston Golf Club- the green is so challenging and if you miss, it's a likely best case bogey.
3 at Kittansett- with the wind off the right you have to aim into Buzzard's Bay
5 at Bel Air- maybe not super hard but I always find the distance hard to judge up the hill and missing the green is a massive penalty. Plus how can you not love staring at that Doak-rehabbed Bell bunker complex?

Jason Topp

2 and 9 at Kingsley Club are good candidates. 

Ben Stephens

I seem to recall that the first at Lytham wrecked Woosie's card although perhaps not due to the design of the hole.

Niall

Woosie had a 2 on the first and had a huge momentum - then it all happened on the 2nd tee that he was alerted that he had too many clubs in the bag. Had this not happened he would probably would have won the 2001 Open.

Tom_Doak

I have not built many of this type of holes, actually.  A sleeper for the list would be the 6th at Stonewall (North).  It is very difficult if you miss the green, and sometimes even more difficult if you hit the green, on the wrong side!

John Kirk

Early in this thread, I had the 2 or 20 hole and the 7th at Barnbougle Dunes ready to post, but the original post calls of short, nasty par 3s at Major venues.

They held the US Open at Myopia Hunt Club four times around 1890-1900.  The 9th hole at Myopia Hunt qualifies.

Dean DiBerardino

Early in this thread, I had the 2 or 20 hole and the 7th at Barnbougle Dunes ready to post, but the original post calls of short, nasty par 3s at Major venues.

They held the US Open at Myopia Hunt Club four times around 1890-1900.  The 9th hole at Myopia Hunt qualifies.

Engineers hosted the 1920 US Amateur won by Chick Evans. It also hosted the 1919 PGA Championship won by Jim Barnes. The PGA Championship was not considered one of the four "majors" back then while the US Amateur was. However, Walter Hagen has five PGA Championship victories in the same era (1921, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927) and he is considered third on the list of most professional majors won with eleven total behind Nicklaus (18) & Woods (15).
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 06:40:36 PM by Dean DiBerardino »

John Kirk

Engineers hosted the 1920 US Amateur won by Chick Evans. It also hosted the 1919 PGA Championship won by Jim Barnes. The PGA Championship was not considered one of the four "majors" back then while the US Amateur was. However, Walter Hagen has five PGA Championship victories (1921, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927) and he is considered third on the list of most majors won with eleven total behind Nicklaus (18) & Woods (15).

Good one.  Thanks for telling me.

Carl Rogers

With significant wind, hole 14 at Pacific Dunes.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

mike_malone

I have not built many of this type of holes, actually.  A sleeper for the list would be the 6th at Stonewall (North).  It is very difficult if you miss the green, and sometimes even more difficult if you hit the green, on the wrong side!

The downhill short par threes make a mess of things.
AKA Mayday

Mike_Trenham

New Jersey Donald Ross

#11 Plainfield
#16 Riverton

Distance control is critical on both of these holes.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tim Leahy

3rd at the Olympic Club
3rd at Torrey Pines

16th at Torrey Pines
4th at Riviera
6th at Riviera
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back