News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: PGA to merge with LIV
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2023, 03:40:04 PM »
My initial reaction: I'm done with the "tours," all of them.  Time will tell. Right now the details aren't there, but just mixing with the House of Saud is enough to turn me off.

We are all mixed with the House of Saud. That much was painfully obvious a loooooong time ago.

Ciao

Very true
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2023, 03:41:04 PM »
I'd rather play golf than watch anyway, so doesn't really matter to me what sorts of deals with the devil a bunch of millionaires are agreeing to so that they can make even more millions.

Philippe Binette

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2023, 03:49:52 PM »
If I was Rory, I don't know what I'd do... show up at the canadian open... hit the first tee shot and then WD ! So there's no alternate in

Philippe Binette

« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2023, 03:50:45 PM »
These guys are good... but the commisionner is pathetic

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2023, 04:15:57 PM »
One of the most interesting things about today has been learning just how many heads Brandel Chamblee, Eamon Lynch and others live rent-free in.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #55 on: June 06, 2023, 04:17:07 PM »
Did this go down in time to save the Ryder Cup from being the disaster it was heading towards being? 

I hope so!  I love that franchise, and seeing it become some kind of watered down B-team exhibition was going to be sad.
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #56 on: June 06, 2023, 04:17:32 PM »
And the loser again will be the World Golf Fan.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #57 on: June 06, 2023, 04:26:14 PM »
After this maybe the Saudi's can buy the Oakland AAA's and build them a privately financed stadium in Oakland. They can even change the team name to the Oakland Arabs.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2023, 04:34:00 PM »
And the loser again will be the World Golf Fan.

Thats funny I was thinking just the opposite...   Interested to hear what's your thoughts along those lines.

I cant see how it can be anything but positive for golf fans themselves, you can now see all your favorite players on any and all franchises again, wherever they choose to play, just like it was. 

At least from my perspective the worst part of the last year was not having any desire to watch some of my previously favorite Tour events because I knew I was not going to see many of the players I enjoyed watching.  Both LIV players who could not play, and with the dramatically watered down pool of PGA Tour players if a couple of the Tour guys I like watching were not in that weeks event there was just no motivation to watch.

I can see it being negative for Jay Monohan, maybe some of the PGA Tour elites, and certainly some of the PGA Tour Players that did not take the cheese, but I cant see how fans themselves have had anything but positive developments today.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 04:36:53 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Carl Johnson

« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2023, 04:42:56 PM »
My initial reaction: I'm done with the "tours," all of them.  Time will tell. Right now the details aren't there, but just mixing with the House of Saud is enough to turn me off.

We are all mixed with the House of Saud. That much was painfully obvious a loooooong time ago.

Ciao

Very true

Yes, true, but this is something I have more personal control over.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2023, 05:14:48 PM »
As a Phiiadelphia Congressman once said,  " Money talks and BS walks"

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Bruce Katona

« Reply #61 on: June 06, 2023, 05:28:09 PM »
Well I for one am anxious to read what the following folks have to say about the merger all for very different reasons:

1. Jack Nicklaus - not always correct, but always has an opinion
2. Rory - he was the face of the PGA Tour post LIV
3. John Rahm - lets everyone know what he's thinking
4. Tiger - he was the spokesman/elder statesman of the PGA TOUR post LIV
5. The Rank & File Touring Professionals outside of the top 50 on all of the Tours.  Is it a cash grab for the cream of the crop or is the wealth shared?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #62 on: June 06, 2023, 05:40:40 PM »
This partially explains the 1,000,000 barrels of oil per day cutback announced by Saudi Arabia yesterday. Pro golfers making money off the cost of gasoline and all those who fill their tanks.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #63 on: June 06, 2023, 06:02:20 PM »
"This partially explains the 1,000,000 barrels of oil per day cutback announced by Saudi Arabia yesterday. Pro golfers making money off the cost of gasoline and all those who fill their tanks." Pete Pittock

I'm seriously looking into a hybrid or EV in light of Phoenix AZ high prices now at about $4.50/gallon. Luckily, I don't live in CA.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tim Martin

« Reply #64 on: June 06, 2023, 06:49:24 PM »
I can’t think of anyone that comes off as a bigger patsy in this imbroglio than Rory McIlroy. He carried the water for Monihan and the PGA Tour and they drowned him in it. As for water if you were on the Titanic with Jay and there was one seat left in the lifeboat how do you think you would fare? ::) :o
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 06:00:53 AM by Tim Martin »

Tim Leahy

« Reply #65 on: June 06, 2023, 07:48:21 PM »
Well I for one am anxious to read what the following folks have to say about the merger all for very different reasons:

1. Jack Nicklaus - not always correct, but always has an opinion
2. Rory - he was the face of the PGA Tour post LIV
3. John Rahm - lets everyone know what he's thinking
4. Tiger - he was the spokesman/elder statesman of the PGA TOUR post LIV
5. The Rank & File Touring Professionals outside of the top 50 on all of the Tours.  Is it a cash grab for the cream of the crop or is the wealth shared?
Nicklaus endorsed Comrade Trumpsky in the last election and designed one of his courses. He is tickled pink and is as big a scumbag as the SPGA commissioner. :o
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #66 on: June 06, 2023, 07:51:32 PM »
if you were on the Titanic with Jay and there was one seat left in the lifeboat how do you think you would fare? He is elevated to the front row of the scumbag Hall of Fame.  :o ::) ???

He will need bodyguards and bag x-Ray checks before meetings with his own players, never mind his new partners.

Rory has to feel like a chump now, although he and Tiger did negotiate their own side deal.  Guys like Matsuyama were totally screwed over; he will probably jump now but his market value lost $100m or more in the deal.

But I can’t say I’m surprised; there has been so much hypocrisy all along, and in the end they don’t care about the provenance of their $$$ after all.  My only surprise was to hear of Jimmy Dunne’s involvement in the deal.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #67 on: June 06, 2023, 07:55:19 PM »
"This partially explains the 1,000,000 barrels of oil per day cutback announced by Saudi Arabia yesterday. Pro golfers making money off the cost of gasoline and all those who fill their tanks." Pete Pittock

I'm seriously looking into a hybrid or EV in light of Phoenix AZ high prices now at about $4.50/gallon. Luckily, I don't live in CA.
Steve,

Funny you should mention Arizona. Saw this story yesterday, whereby the Saudis are blythely using AZ water for their benefit after making the same practice illegal in their country https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/in-drought-stricken-arizona-fresh-scrutiny-of-saudi-arabia-owned-farms-water-use

John Connolly

« Reply #68 on: June 06, 2023, 08:18:54 PM »
LIV had mountains of chips and none of the cards. And Jay folded ... probably with a full house.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

JLahrman

« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2023, 08:23:24 PM »
LIV had mountains of chips and none of the cards. And Jay folded ... probably with a full house.

+1

Steve Lapper

« Reply #70 on: June 06, 2023, 08:29:53 PM »
I guess all those Golf Channel pundits who ripped LIV as immoral human rights violators will be resigning their jobs now..........

Honestly, I haven’t been a fan of how Brandel has covered some things. But I like Brandel himself.

I hope he comes in today a rips this, standing by his guns.  He’d probably lose his job, but it would say a lot about him

George,

You are smarter than this.

Pat,

Brandel did just that. He's got a spine.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

mike_beene

« Reply #71 on: June 06, 2023, 08:41:33 PM »
If the court of public opinion looks away, I imagine the Saudis would execute Jay M., Greg Norman and Phil M. I guess that would prove Mickelson’s scary m f point.

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #72 on: June 06, 2023, 08:47:46 PM »
I'm still in shock
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2023, 08:51:25 PM »
Need a lot more on the details.

The title isn't quite right either.  The more accurate title would be PGA Tour announces tentative creation of for-profit arm and gives chairmanship to the Saudi Public Investment Fund - both organizations announce a cease fire on legal actions...not very catchy.

To me it sounds like the LIV league as it is today will go away after this season.  No idea what's going to happen to players currently on LIV.

The PGA tour has already morphed quite a bit with no cuts, designated events, a Tiger and Rory off course league, PIP money, increased purses...

Pretty clear when talking about billion dollar organizations, it's about money.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2023, 09:13:48 PM »
As a Phiiadelphia Congressman once said,  " Money talks and BS walks"

I thought that was a line from Spinal Tap!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back