News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Cliff Hamm

John Kavanaugh

Re: PGA to merge with LIV
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2023, 10:06:30 AM »
Phil is smarter than y’all. Fans win!!!

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2023, 10:19:12 AM »
i suspect it is all about money...Ethics not so much..But that should come as no surprise..

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2023, 10:23:35 AM »
Lol
H.P.S.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2023, 10:27:14 AM »
Had to check my calendar to make sure it wan't an April Fools day headline

[size=2.5rem][color=var(--color-content-primary,#121212)]PGA Tour and LIV Golf to Merge
Link to NY Times story
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/sports/golf/pga-liv-merger.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20230606&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta®i_id=93307045&segment_id=134820&user_id=dce87bf08174db0af4d0c174404106ec[/color]
[/size][/i]

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 10:27:36 AM »
This changes the emotional make up of the US Open. Keopka tanks. Captain America will eat this up. Reed top 20 just bought prime real estate in Locktown.

Paul Jones

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 10:29:46 AM »
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Mark Pearce

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 10:31:05 AM »
I wonder what McIlroy will make of this, having been one of the few players willing to really argue the Tour's corner?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 10:33:12 AM »
I wonder what McIlroy will make of this, having been one of the few players willing to really argue the Tour's corner?

We'll have to wait until he gets up from under the bus to really know.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 10:35:23 AM »

When you don’t put up eventually you shut up. The Tour players who folded in the recent Majors have no one to blame but themselves.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 10:46:28 AM »
This is freeing up Harry Higgs. Takes the villain monkey off his back. Just picked him up at +250 to finish top 40 this week in Canadian Open.

Paul Jones

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 11:00:22 AM »
This news will destroy the coverage of LACC hosting the US Open.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kirk

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 11:05:37 AM »

Hi Mark,

Maybe Rory's reluctance to discuss the matter during the PGA championship was related to inside knowledge that a merger was pending.

I'm quite surprised this happened so quickly.  On the other hand, I don't care much about this.  I felt that a couple of recent PGA events suffered from not having the all-time greats who moved over to the LIV.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2023, 11:18:23 AM »
After all the rhetoric from the PGATour around the PIF and players taking Saudi Money.

I guess when you can't beat the Devil, you invite him over for drinks and such....

Steve Salmen

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2023, 11:46:53 AM »
Is this merger a result of the performance of Brooks Koepka in the last two majors?  Was the PGA Tour afraid he's going to continue to win majors, thus validating the LIV Tour?

Tim Leahy

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2023, 11:50:41 AM »
Had to check my calendar to make sure it wan't an April Fools day headline

[size=2.5rem][color=var(--color-content-primary,#121212)]PGA Tour and LIV Golf to Merge
Link to NY Times story
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/06/06/sports/golf/pga-liv-merger.html?campaign_id=60&emc=edit_na_20230606&instance_id=0&nl=breaking-news&ref=cta®i_id=93307045&segment_id=134820&user_id=dce87bf08174db0af4d0c174404106ec[/color]
[/size][/i]
That's hilarious because I thought the same thing. April Fool's Day. ???
Too many questions.
PGA Tour executives come off as money grabbing scumbags.
Guess we can call it the SPGA now. Saudi Professional Golf Association.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 12:25:55 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 11:53:15 AM »
Ultimately the sponsors of weekly tour events can’t match these dollar values.  It’s a money grab by the PGA Tour Board.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2023, 11:56:14 AM »
Is this merger a result of the performance of Brooks Koepka in the last two majors?  Was the PGA Tour afraid he's going to continue to win majors, thus validating the LIV Tour?
I disagree.  The thing that the needed to validate LIV golf was anyone giving a damn about the LIV golf tournaments.  And that wasn't happening with a few exceptions, like in Australia.  No one really cared about what happened on the course and you would need that to validate the sports-washing objective of the Saudi PIF.

But it sounds like they decided to throw in another Billion or two and buy the PGA Tour and European Tour.

Is there any posbbility that the PGA tour policy board says no?  There are 11 members - five business execs, five tour players, and a direct from the PGA of America.

You have to think that a lot of PGA tour members are very pissed off right now.  I would love to be at the meeting in Toronto this afternoon.

Paul Jones

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2023, 11:57:07 AM »

Scott Van Pelt

So, you preach loyalty to a tour and convince guys not to take 8 and 9 figure deals based, in part, on that loyalty and, in part, on the source of the money. Then those guys find out on Twitter YOU took the very same money? Nino Brown, “Always business, never personal.”
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Dan Boerger

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2023, 12:02:56 PM »
Money talks.

Believe nothing Jay Monahan says.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Jake Marvin

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2023, 12:26:56 PM »
On the subject of money talking, the PGA looks to have taken a pretty serious loss in power in addition to the enormous losses for morality and integrity... I suppose the big win was not getting run out of business entirely?

The concessions to the PIF give them a huge amount of control unless new information/negotiations meaningfully change that.

Anyone who's watched what the PIF has done with a legitimate soccer/football brand in Newcastle United can see these guys are skilled operators, and I suspect they will produce a product that is massively entertaining to a certain type of viewer and massively profitable to them. Whether anyone gives a damn about it is another question.

I miss being able to watch sports without the moral requirement to understand international geopolitics.

Daryl "Turboe" Boe

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2023, 12:39:30 PM »
Somewhere, Brandel Chamblee’s head is exploding, and I would love to see video of that!  Oh, to be in the room when he heard the news!
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:23:54 PM by Daryl "Turboe" Boe »
Instagram: @thequestfor3000

"Time spent playing golf is not deducted from ones lifespan."

"We sleep safely in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm."

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2023, 12:41:22 PM »
One name not mentioned in the news releases is Greg Norman?  Is he not part of the new LIV/PGA/Euro Tour groupo?

Anthony Butler

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2023, 12:42:31 PM »
Can’t wait to see Jim Nantz conducting the obligatory sponsor interview on Sundays in 2024…
“Now MBS… do you mind if we refer to you as such? Tell us a bit more about the charitable initiative this week’s event is supporting - the Jamal Khashoggi Center for Transparency in Journalism…” :P
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 12:45:01 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2023, 12:59:29 PM »
PGA tour has to go down as one of the biggest hypocrites of all time. LIV was a failure. No one cared and not many watched. Looks like the Saudi's made them an offer they couldn't refuse. If you can't beat them buy them...............Pretty sad imo. I would like to hear what Jimmy Dunne has to say.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back