News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Leahy

Baltusrol and Pebble are holding women's majors this year. What about Cypress Point? Would the members allow it? Would past PGA exclusion affect it? Logistics? I think the world should see this course. 8)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 11:40:50 AM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Paul Jones

Baltusrol and Pebble are holding women's majors this year. What about Cypress Point? Would the members allow it? Would past male only history prevent it? Logistics? I think the world should see this course. 8)

What do you mean by past male only history?  Cypress Point was partly founded by Marion Hollins.
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

John Kavanaugh

Isn’t woke buried just off the eighth tee?

John Mayhugh

Tim,
The 2025 Walker Cup will be at CPC.

Amateur events allow the outside world to see the course but without all of the logistical issues associated with professional golf. Why isn't that good enough?

Jason Topp

It would be great for us if they did host. 

Watching the hassles to the membership associated with local hosts of events, I would never say club “should” host anything. 

Tim Leahy

Baltusrol and Pebble are holding women's majors this year. What about Cypress Point? Would the members allow it? Would past male only history prevent it? Logistics? I think the world should see this course. 8)

What do you mean by past male only history?  Cypress Point was partly founded by Marion Hollins.
My mistake, the club was excluded by the PGA tour in 1990 for being race exclusive not male only and has since added at least Condoleezza Rice as a member.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Tommy Williamsen

I don't know if the membership cares about Women's major, but it would be an excellent venue for women. I'd like to see how they play 16. I think a lot of them would play the tee ball left and have a short pitch into the green.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_Lovett

It would be awesome for all of us, but what is the advantage to CPC for hosting a Women's Major?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 02:05:12 PM by Steve_Lovett »

Pat Burke

There are so many great courses for the lpga majors to use that don’t “fit” the guys”.

Not sure how many want the disruption though

Garland Bayley

I have long advocated for the women to have a tournament analogous to The Masters at Cypress Point. They should drop the Dinah Shore (or whatever its latest name is) and start the Women's Masters at Cypress Point.

Sir Bob Huntley took the time to inform me that his assessment of the membership was that they would definitely be against it. That was several years ago. Have times changed? We are beginning to see women at the top echelons of business and government. Could it be that Cypress Point could see the wind blowing in a different direction these days?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Daryl David

Re: Would, could, should Cypress Point have a Women's Major tournament?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 09:28:03 PM »
[size=78%]Sir Bob Huntley took the time to inform me that his assessment of the membership was that they would definitely be against it. That was several years ago. Have times changed? We are beginning to see women at the top echelons of business and government. Could it be that Cypress Point could see the wind blowing in a different direction these days?[/size]

No

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 10:08:13 PM »
I don't know if the membership cares about Women's major, but it would be an excellent venue for women. I'd like to see how they play 16. I think a lot of them would play the tee ball left and have a short pitch into the green.

I walked with some friends from the women’s teams at Tulsa and Stanford years ago, playing in a “friendly” match there before an event at Fort Ord.  They all laid up to the left, then tees up a second ball and went at the green.  It was so friendly that they invited me to hit, too, and I knocked mine on the green, raising the success rate from 50% to 60%.

But that was all with persimmon.  Today I think nearly all would go for it, and the success rate would be much higher.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2023, 10:37:15 PM »
[size=78%]Sir Bob Huntley took the time to inform me that his assessment of the membership was that they would definitely be against it. That was several years ago. Have times changed? We are beginning to see women at the top echelons of business and government. Could it be that Cypress Point could see the wind blowing in a different direction these days?[/size]

No

One has  to wonder what your expertise is in this matter.

Sir Bob indicated to me that in 2015 it would be a no go. But, he also stated that he could see that there was change in the air.

I don't have any expertise in this matter, but can only report what I was told. Which, I suspect is more valuable than your seemingly unsupported opinion.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Matt Schoolfield

There are plenty of amazing courses in the world. I find bending over backwards for historically exclusive/discriminatory clubs to mostly be unnecessary.

I know I won’t make to many allies with this argument, but I think a big draw to the fawning over places like pine valley, cypress, or augusta is exactly that we can’t play there.

I love wine, and I’m sure there are good vintages that I’ll never be invited to try, but I sit in Milwaukee as I write this with a pint of New Glarus in my hand, booked at Lawsonia on Friday, and I honestly can’t be bothered to worry about things like that, like Cypress, their club or their course. I’m sure it’s very nice.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 02:21:40 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back