News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Kelly

Re: England Golf Trip...Thoughts
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2023, 12:24:34 PM »
Thanks guys for all the replies.  A lot of good information to digest but the most compelling takeaway is that there is plenty of great golf in England.  Having been to Scotland and Ireland about 5x each, I am truly excited for this trip and it sounds like it's going to take 2, 3 or 4 trips to England to really see many of the great courses.
If you've been to Scotland 5x then you'll need to go to England 10x. England is way deeper in quality courses.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Brian Finn

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2023, 01:31:01 PM »
I’m late to this thread, but since the trip is in 2024, figured I’d add my perspective. England has quickly grown to be my favorite country to visit for golf. There are several regions worthy of their own trip, as others have pointed out.

I did a trip a couple of years ago that ranks among the very best I’ve been on.

Wallasey
Hoylake
Formby
Southport & Ainsdale
Hillside
West Lancs
Formby Ladies
Lytham & St. Anne’s
Birkdale

I enjoyed visiting every club and playing every course, staying one night near Hoylake, and then a week in Southport. Never too much driving, allowing for maximum time playing golf and socializing. If I were to return, I’d gladly revisit every one of these courses, and ideally add St. Anne’s Old and Hesketh, given the chance. In fact, I plan to do just that in the not too distant future.
New for 2023:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2023, 01:49:59 PM »
I’m late to this thread, but since the trip is in 2024, figured I’d add my perspective. England has quickly grown to be my favorite country to visit for golf. There are several regions worthy of their own trip, as others have pointed out.

I did a trip a couple of years ago that ranks among the very best I’ve been on.

Wallasey
Hoylake
Formby
Southport & Ainsdale
Hillside
West Lancs
Formby Ladies
Lytham & St. Anne’s
Birkdale

I enjoyed visiting every club and playing every course, staying one night near Hoylake, and then a week in Southport. Never too much driving, allowing for maximum time playing golf and socializing. If I were to return, I’d gladly revisit every one of these courses, and ideally add St. Anne’s Old and Hesketh, given the chance. In fact, I plan to do just that in the not too distant future.

I wouldn't bother with Hesketh. Better off slipping toward Delamere Forest or Prestbury.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2023, 03:25:59 PM »
Delamere Forest = very underrated. Should be seen.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2023, 04:02:48 PM »
Sean - Sunningdale to Pulborough isn’t far off half the distance as Hoylake to Lytham.
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back