News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Roth

New to the GCA discussion....
« on: May 31, 2023, 09:32:35 PM »
I am new to GCA discussions boards but have been following, reading and studying on here for prob 15yrs..  Looking forward to being a positive and hopefully thoughtful part of the conversation going forward..
About me
49 years old residing in Darien CT
Home clubs:
Woodway Country Club - Since 2016  (current club historian/archivist and sit on G&G committee)
Rockaway Hunting Club Since 2005

I'm a big Willie Park fan and love engaging in discussions about his work which I think is wildly under appreciated stateside.. I also enjoy learning about the origins of Parkland Golf particularly as it relates to the works of Capability Brown..

Anyway, I look forward to engaging in the conversation.

BEst
Jim

« Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:40:54 PM by Jim Roth »

mike_malone

Re: New to the GCA discussion....
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2023, 10:05:11 PM »
Welcome Jm!

15 years is a short apprenticeship though!!

You probably know about how Philmont CC in Philly was believed to be a Flynn for so long. It was probably because it was good. We now embrace it as Willie Park.
AKA Mayday

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2023, 03:24:44 AM »
Welcome, I’m still a bit new too.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2023, 08:09:22 AM »
Jim-Welcome to the board. I don’t know if you have played New Haven CC or Shuttle Meadow CC but they are both terrific Willie Park efforts in your home state. The original nine holes out of the current 27 at Tumblebrook CC in Bloomfield is also from Park and worth seeing.

mark chalfant

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2023, 11:02:58 AM »
Hello Jim,

It is great to have you on board. Congrats for your stellar efforts at Woodway. I echo Tim's comments about Shuttle Meadow!! and New Haven. The large scale and variety at Philmont is also impressive work by Willie Park Jr.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2023, 11:33:33 AM »
Welcome Jim. I used to play Rolling Road CC in MD. It is a very fun Willie Park course and a small piece of property.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2023, 12:17:55 PM »
Welcome Jim!
H.P.S.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 02:45:28 AM »
Welcome aboard Jim.  You will have a great time here. We learn from listening, but sharing our own experiences and views is how we all benefit. Enjoy.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Jim Roth

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 08:41:19 AM »
Thanks all.  I am hoping to see New Haven, shuttle meadow, new bedford and mt bruno this year.  Next year I am hoping to go see Huntercombe and Sunningdale (amongst others on a London trip)   

I did want to share a 1926 aerial of Woodway I found (hanging in Darien Town Hall of all places) that I **think** may be the oldest aerial of a Willie Park Course in US..  It predates the 1934 CT aerial survey and shows Woodway Exactly as it was laid out by Park 8 years prior.  (by 1934 several bunkers had been added by maurice mccarthy)

I am having trouble uploading the photo.  (JPG)  can someone give me some direction?   thnks!

JR

Tim Martin

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 11:12:56 AM »
Thanks all.  I am hoping to see New Haven, shuttle meadow, new bedford and mt bruno this year.  Next year I am hoping to go see Huntercombe and Sunningdale (amongst others on a London trip)   

I did want to share a 1926 aerial of Woodway I found (hanging in Darien Town Hall of all places) that I **think** may be the oldest aerial of a Willie Park Course in US..  It predates the 1934 CT aerial survey and shows Woodway Exactly as it was laid out by Park 8 years prior.  (by 1934 several bunkers had been added by maurice mccarthy)

I am having trouble uploading the photo.  (JPG)  can someone give me some direction?   thnks!

JR

Jim-I believe there is an aerial from around opening day in 1917 from Shuttle Meadow that has been used as a blueprint to keep the golf course as original as possible. I will reach out to the greens chairman who has a lot of archival material. He takes great pride in the fact that Shuttle is Park’s first U.S. commission and is a big fan of his work not unlike yourself.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 11:42:46 AM by Tim Martin »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2023, 11:56:52 AM »

JR

You have post them from a site like Photobucket that hosts your pictures. Photobucket costs money but other sites do not.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70515.msg1695399.html#msg1695399
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 11:59:57 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Roth

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2023, 01:04:21 PM »
Tim,  would LOVE to see that,  and tommy thnks,   will get set up.

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2023, 07:18:21 PM »
Tim,  would LOVE to see that,  and tommy thnks,   will get set up.

Jim-Shuttle Meadow has ground photos from 1916 and 1917 and my contact believes there is an aerial from 1921. I’ll post again when I hear back.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back