News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Tanner

I'm planning to meet an old friend and golf buddy to play a round at a Richmond area course in June. He's traveling from the DC area; I'm driving from Va. Beach. We've played Mattaponi Springs, Viniterra and Hunting Hawk in the past. What other Richmond area courses with easy access from the interstates and interesting architecture might we consider?

Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Chris_Blakely

Independence GC (Midlothian, VA) is a good Tom Fazio that has been updated by Lester George.

Magnolia Green (Mosley VA) is a good public where Nicklaus did 9 and Tom Clark did the other 9.

A.G._Crockett

It isn’t far at all to Royal New Kent, and well worth the drive, I think.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Bill Gayne

Mike,

if you're looking for interesting architecture off the interstate try either Belmont Golf Course and/or Lakeside Park.

The original Belmont was designed by Tillinghast and hosted the 1949 PGA. It's currently a 12 hole course.

Another option that's around the corner from Belmont is Lakeside Park (formerly known as Jefferson Lakeside) and it's a Ross design. It's private but a call from you or a call from your club pro will probably get access to the course.

Bill

Tim Martin

Mike-What was your impression of Viniterra? Thanks!

Tim Gavrich

It isn’t far at all to Royal New Kent, and well worth the drive, I think.
This is the answer, IMO.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Mike Tanner

Thanks for the replies so far.

Bill:  Have played Belmont before the Love redo and enjoyed the old school layout despite the hardscrabble conditions at the time. Did a quick walk around parts of the renovated course a while back, but couldn't play because I didn't have the time in my schedule. I'm glad the property was retained for golf!

A.G.: Have played RNK several times and appreciate Mike Strantz's mad genius. Looking for a little less challenge for this upcoming round.

Chris: Have played Independence and enjoyed the routing and excellent course conditions. Considering a return visit. Not familiar with Magnolia Green, so I'll check their website. 

Tim: Have played Viniterra multiple times and enjoyed it when playing course conditioning was good, hated it when conditions didn't meet expectations created during previous rounds.

Has anyone played The Crossing recently? The location appears to be ideal in terms of access off the interstate.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back