News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Positively PANMURE GC New
« on: August 27, 2023, 09:35:00 AM »
Formed in 1845 Panmure is one of the oldest clubs in the world. After running through two clubhouses (the second which is now the home of Ladies Panmure GC and third oldest house in the world) and the congestion of Monifieth Links, in 1899 Panmure decided to set up shop at Barry Links, adjacent to Monifieth. Some members chose to stay and created the Grange GC, which still exists. The club nearly decided to move to Carnoustie, but I suspect the prospect of owning their links and avoiding possible overcrowding was enough to the settle the issue. R Duff, the contractor responsible for the then recent construction of the Old Tom Morris designs St Andrews New and Muirfield was selected for the job. Old Tom did survey the land two years previously and it is likely he designed the original Panmure course. However, there is some doubt in the matter. As was often the case, James Braid made some changes in 1922. Mackenzie & Ebert did some work in 2012. I believe at least the 8th was moved left away from the caravan park. The two famous paps were removed at this time; possibly because they no longer made sense for the newly aligned fairway. In the not too distant past the 14th green was moved left, away from the 15th tees.

Panmure is known for being Ben Hogan’s practice ground for the 1953 Open held at Carnoustie. Hogan had the 1953 Masters and US Open titles in his back pocket, but thought it best to arrive two weeks early to practice with the 1.62-inch ball. Hogan slowly warmed to the Open and found himself tied for the lead after three rounds. A crushing 68 final round saw him win comfortably and as it turned out it was his last major victory. While Hogan never returned to the Open, he did leave a lasting impression on Panmure. It is said that Hogan named Panmure’s 6th as his favourite hole when asked by the press after the Open. Hogan suggested a right greenside bunker and the club took him to heart….Hogan’s bunker is still there.

Not dissimilar to Formby, Panmure commences and finishes in the plains; flat terrain. Much is often said about the opening and closing stretches, but they aren't poor holes. I rather like 16 & 18, but let us start on the 1st. A smidge over 300 yards, the opener is a good how do you do.

The legs are stretched a bit more for the three-shot 2nd, but we still feel welcome.

The dogleg right third brings the trees into full play.

At this point I did begin to wonder. I saw a ton of trees, not over-interesting greens and decidely heavier turf than one expects for a links. Although, regardless of the type of course one labels Panmure, the turf is beautiful. About the same length as the third without the pronounced dogleg, the 4th begins the attitude change.

The green is more engaging.

4th green from the 5th tee.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 03:24:22 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Sims

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-4
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 10:43:46 AM »
Sean,

Thanks. I’m always excited about the first paragraph or so, giving brief attention to the history of the course. Surely not an easy thing to do. And alliteration must be getting tough at this point with all the course reports you’ve done.

Reading your first initial post on Panmure, I’m struck by just how many links courses in the UK begin and end on benign ground. There are several reasons why this would strike an American golfer as, at best, different, and at worst, off-putting. But speaking to my own taste, I’m starting to enjoy it. Looking forward to rest of this one. Cheers.

Philippe Binette

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-4
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2023, 08:05:59 PM »
Panmure is a course i'd love to be a member at... pleasant walk, pretty site, not hard but challenging enough even for the best.. a course where even the benign looking shot have to be played properly to score...

Sean_A

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-4 New
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 12:31:21 PM »
Panmure Tour Cont

A tough target, the short 5th green collects tee shots, but the gathering area is small. Onto the 6th. The tee shot isn't exactly blind, but it is a bit baffling. In retrospect, the trees are a good line, but many will need to layup to this point. Right of the bunker is shared fairway wih the 7th.

Hogan's bunker on the right is a bit harsh for such a demanding approach.

The greenkeeper must have had a bad morning to set the hole in this nasty location.

The 7th is longish, but otherwise straightforward.

Looking up the 6th fairway and back to the tee.

Without the paps the 8th is not what it once was.

The side finishes with a handsome short hole.

There is loads more space than it appears from the tee.

One of many entertaining greens.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:42:22 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

ward peyronnin

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-9
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 01:25:31 PM »
I hope I am not jumping the gate but the clubhouse is among the more charming I have seen.Modest in size but unique for the neo-colonial(read Indian) flourishes it has a jaunty air and a very polished but understated interior.The governere room holds many splendid trophies and other memorabilia so ask if you can view that should you visit
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 04:41:31 PM »
I only played Panmure one time and my recollection was that there were various blind shots which I really enjoyed which is not often the case.

Bill Crane

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 01:02:30 PM »
I hope I am not jumping the gate but the clubhouse is among the more charming I have seen.Modest in size but unique for the neo-colonial(read Indian) flourishes it has a jaunty air and a very polished but understated interior.The governere room holds many splendid trophies and other memorabilia so ask if you can view that should you visit

My son and I had the same experience.    Fun and classy clubhouse that reeks of traditional golf and history.
Middle of the course has some excellent holes featuring rolling linksland. 

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 10:50:55 AM »
Panmure Tour Cont

We go back to hugging the right boundary as at 1-4 & 8. Yet the hole isn't as intimidating as the tee shot makes it seem. The property is stunning between 5 & 14. 

A dead flat short hole follows at 11...not a bad time for a landscape changeup. Things get unruly again for 12. I didn't appreciate the sneaky nature of the hole until going long on the approach.

The nomadic Buddon Burn awaits an over-zealous drive.

The domed and heavily sloped green keeps things interesting.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: September 12, 2023, 11:21:59 AM by Sean_A »

Charlie Goerges

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-12
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2023, 09:16:14 AM »
Those last two images are really pretty. Perfect place for a hobbit birthday party.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Sean_A

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-12 New
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2023, 04:38:52 PM »
Panmure Tour Cont

Having reached the furthest point from the house we now turn for home. The 13th tee shot is curious. It seems as though the fairway has been narrowed and perhaps some mounds removed? Amid the visual disruption is a reachable burn.

If the drive is well placed, there is an up the gut approach available.

Another lovely green.

The green from 12 tee.

A par five along the tracks, at 536 yards the 14th has some bite with its beauty.

Trees are used strategically down the left. The rich textures of 5-13 transition more toward a standard parkland feel fom this point. 

The over-sized short 15th is not a hole which impressed me so we move to the 16th.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 24, 2023, 03:30:02 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Positively PANMURE GC:1-15 New
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2023, 10:03:43 AM »
Panmure Tour Cont

The run home isn't overly admired by many, however, the 16th has a few tricks up its sleeve.

The centreline bunker is a worry. It not only creates a possible lay-up situation, but hides the topography near the road. The fairway kicks left toward the deceptively close to the green OoB.

A reasonably long par 4, the 17th adds little to the course except views of the wonderful house. The back breaker 460 yard 18th has much more going for it as the fairway works around the practice ground. 

The clubhouse wills us to finish 18 and slip in for a drink....and what a house.

As one would imagine, the changing room has oodles of character as does the remainder of the building.

I was charmed by Panmure, but remain wide-eyed enough to understand its shortcomings. That said, the opening and closing holes are not nearly as dull as I was led to believe.  Where Panmure shines is the total experience. We get an All-Scotland hole with the 6th, several excellent holes such as 4, 5, 9, 12 & 13 and a fetching house. Yep, Panmure is definitely a course which could round out a Fife-Carnoustie trip. 2023

Ciao 
« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 05:12:08 AM by Sean_A »

David_Tepper

Re: Positively PANMURE GC
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2023, 10:40:58 AM »
Sean -

Thanks for another first-rate tour.

5-minute video on the history of Panmure here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crxITuVfdQQ

DT

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back