News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Augusta National - best course in the world ?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2024, 08:49:33 AM »
I always thought sarcasm was an English predilection. Seems the Scots are keen on it too.

No, not sarcasm but definitely tongue in cheek.

I've no idea whether Augusta National is the best course in the world as I haven't seen nearly enough of the contenders, including Augusta National, to form an opinion. What I was hoping to do with my initial post was initiate some discussion on the respective merits of classic course (untampered with), classic course ("upgraded" over the years by the finest GCA's) and modern courses designed with the benefit of accumulated knowledge from the golden age allied to modern construction methods. 

As mostly happens the conversation didn't quite go in the direction I'd hoped, probably due to the inadequacy of my OP.

Niall

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2024, 09:05:57 AM »
I always thought sarcasm was an English predilection. Seems the Scots are keen on it too.

No, not sarcasm but definitely tongue in cheek.

I've no idea whether Augusta National is the best course in the world as I haven't seen nearly enough of the contenders, including Augusta National, to form an opinion. What I was hoping to do with my initial post was initiate some discussion on the respective merits of classic course (untampered with), classic course ("upgraded" over the years by the finest GCA's) and modern courses designed with the benefit of accumulated knowledge from the golden age allied to modern construction methods. 

As mostly happens the conversation didn't quite go in the direction I'd hoped, probably due to the inadequacy of my OP.

Niall
Niall,

That is common in internet discussion. Threads often don’t go as intended and that is hard to prevent.

That aside, I think there is some merit in Geoff Shackelford’s recent book on golf architecture for “normal people”. Specifically, Geoff suggests that applying the “everyday test” to evaluate a golf course makes sense. By that he means: is this a course you would like to play everyday?

By this measure, I certainly would take Royal Melbourne and Cypress Point over Augusta and probably several more courses. An example not typically ranked even top ten might be Kingston Heath with walkability being a major consideration.

Tim
Tim Weiman

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2024, 09:50:18 AM »
Tim

No complaints from me. When you start a thread its for the participants to decide where it goes. When threads go off at tangents, that's usually when they are most entertaining.

Niall

Matt MacIver

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2024, 10:47:14 AM »
Does ANGC (and Oakmont’s?) rolling fairways and greens make up for the lack of sand-based soil?  Each course gets some wind especially given the (relative) openness and lack of trees — or maybe the playing corridors create more wind when there is wind? 

Didn’t know GS wrote a new book, will look for it.  But on the “run right out and play it again” measure, I have many friends that would run right out and play a pedestrian course again so I don’t think it can be a measuring stick for “best” for anyone wanting to be a judge.  As we all know, art is in the eye…

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back