News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Hollerbach

2024 PGA Tour news/rumors
« on: May 24, 2023, 02:04:01 PM »
I recently heard that RTJ's Dunes Club in Myrtle Beach will begin hosting an opposite field PGA Tour event starting in 2024

Also, the rumor is the Wells Fargo at Quail Hollow will become a matchplay event.

Adam G

Re: 2024 PGA Tour news/rumors
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2023, 02:26:30 PM »
I can't wait to hear someone claim that Quail Hollow is "designed for match play"

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2023, 05:09:28 PM »
an opposite field PGA Tour event

What is that ?

Niall

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2023, 05:47:20 PM »
Two events on the same weekend, the lower level or weaker of the two events is considered an "opposite field" event.

You've seen them in the past opposite to the Open Championship or non-US WGC events. Going forward you'll see some during designated event week.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2023, 06:09:49 PM »
Ben, kinda old news here in MB.
There will be a PGA event at The Dunes.
Ben is correct. It'll be a second tier competition opposite a "bigger" tournament.

Ronald Montesano

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2023, 06:32:03 PM »
I don't understand why the Dunes would want to host a PGA Tour event at all, much less an opposite field one. It's not like they need exposure or new members.

Ken Moum

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2023, 07:09:39 PM »
I don't understand why the Dunes would want to host a PGA Tour event at all, much less an opposite field one. It's not like they need exposure or new members.

I listened to Katrek and Maginnes talking to a person from the Myrtle Beach Visitor's Bureau a couple of weeks ago. (might have been CEO Karen Riordan) This was all about promoting MB.

She said they didn't have any problem getting people there on board to hold a PGA Tour event
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 11:55:30 AM »
Really surprised this event would not be at TPC Myrtle Beach.  A very well suited event for this type of competition.  Maybe Dunes needs a bit of help raising the unaccompanied guest fee rate and this will help with the next generation of visitors.

Proud member of a Doak 3.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »
A very well suited event for this type of competition.
Mike, by "event," did you mean venue/course?

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 02:29:22 PM »
Really surprised this event would not be at TPC Myrtle Beach.  A very well suited event for this type of competition.  Maybe Dunes needs a bit of help raising the unaccompanied guest fee rate and this will help with the next generation of visitors.
TPC is under 7,000 yards from the tips and about five years ago, did some pretty significant bunker renovations that reduced them in size and number and shallowed the ones that remained. The course is a lot more player-friendly nowadays - good for visiting golfers, less ideal for hosting the PGA Tour.

At 7,400 yards and with the 2014 PGA Professional Championship in its recent history, The Dunes is a better spot for Myrtle Beach's first PGA Tour event, IMO. Hopefully the weather in the lead-up will be dry; with firm greens and some wind, I think the course will be pretty stout.

I'm a little disappointed it's been made an opposite-field event but I think it should be well-attended and a solid test of golf.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2023, 10:16:15 AM »
I may be wrong but thought the TPC network long ago sold TPC MB.  If so then there would be zero financial motivation to host an event there regardless of the length.

Anthony_Nysse

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 12:54:31 PM »
I may be wrong but thought the TPC network long ago sold TPC MB.  If so then there would be zero financial motivation to host an event there regardless of the length.

Founders Group International owns it.
Anthony J. Nysse
Director of Golf Courses & Grounds
Apogee Club
Hobe Sound, FL

Tom_Doak

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2023, 09:02:38 AM »
Also just announced:  the Houston Open has been moved to the spring, two weeks before The Masters.

The course may play very different with overseeding and a desire to be more Augusta-like for preparation purposes, but the spring dates are where Mr. Crane was always hoping to land.

David Wuthrich

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2023, 03:56:56 PM »
Agree Tom, Memorial will play different in the spring.

But as you stated, that is when they wanted the event and they got it!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2023, 05:45:48 PM »
Agree Tom, Memorial will play different in the spring.

But as you stated, that is when they wanted the event and they got it!

You seen the work on 17 yet?

Carl Johnson

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2023, 03:37:07 PM »
I can't wait to hear someone claim that Quail Hollow is "designed for match play"

O.K., I'll take the bait. Quail Hollow is designed for match play.  How would you set it up for match play?  Shorten some holes, narrow the fairways, odd pin positions?  I don't see why it couldn't be done.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2023, 03:38:38 PM by Carl Johnson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back