News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Bring Back the Bench!
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2023, 06:55:41 AM »
It’s hard to understand the anti-bench sentiment.

Kalen- It’s just another hipster overreaction. The audacity of anyone wanting to sit down on a hot day while they wait to play their shot. ::)  If properly placed how does it slow down the round?!

It's funny to be called a hipster 😎. Anyone who has met me would know otherwise.

Ciao

Sean,

I would attest to the fact that you ain’t no hipster. Although you could be a GCA equivalent.

Which would best define a GCA hipster:

- Someone who champions the alternative and obscure?

OR

- Someone who champions the touch-points of the Doak / Coore / Hanse design era?

Guys-I didn’t mean to offend anyone with the hipster moniker. ;D  Why not put that term aside and focus on the other word in the description which is “overreaction.” Is one of the touch-points of the Doak/Coore/Hanse design era no benches? I guess I was given a different manifesto. ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2023, 07:40:18 AM »

Kalen- It’s just another hipster overreaction. The audacity of anyone wanting to sit down on a hot day while they wait to play their shot. ::)  If properly placed how does it slow down the round?!

It's funny to be called a hipster . Anyone who has met me would know otherwise.

Ciao

Sean,

I would attest to the fact that you ain’t no hipster. Although you could be a GCA equivalent.

OR

- Someone who champions the touch-points of the Doak / Coore / Hanse design era?

Guys-I didn’t mean to offend anyone with the hipster moniker. ;D  Why not put that term aside and focus on the other word in the description which is “overreaction.” Is one of the touch-points of the Doak/Coore/Hanse design era no benches? I guess I was given a different manifesto. ;)

Ok, I have been known to over-react. However, in this case perhaps it is you that is guilty of over-reacting. I compromised with a few benches and was labelled an over-reacting hipster 😀.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2023, 07:44:25 AM »

It's funny to be called a hipster . Anyone who has met me would know otherwise.

Ciao

Sean,

OR

I lean toward cheap and characterful. Is that GCA hipster 😎?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2023, 07:54:58 AM »
    I’m no DeSantis guy, but this anti bench, anti ball washer and anti trash can fad in the name of a clutterless campus is golf’s equivalent of “woke” run amuck. My club is an embarrassing offender. In addition to eliminating benches and ball washers, we’ve gone so far as to burying our trash cans like an old fashioned garbage receptacle where you have to step on the lid to open it up. Silly.

Tim Martin

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2023, 08:21:18 AM »
    I’m no DeSantis guy, but this anti bench, anti ball washer and anti trash can fad in the name of a clutterless campus is golf’s equivalent of “woke” run amuck. My club is an embarrassing offender. In addition to eliminating benches and ball washers, we’ve gone so far as to burying our trash cans like an old fashioned garbage receptacle where you have to step on the lid to open it up. Silly.

Jim-I played a different Philly Flynn than yours a few years ago and they had also taken “clutterless” to the next level. There was an outing the day before I played and the amount of temporary signage to direct players to the proper tee was far more “cluttered” than anything that would have been permanent. I concur with the trash receptacles as it’s beyond me how that could be more offensive than strewn garbage.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 08:51:06 AM by Tim Martin »

Sean_A

« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2023, 08:28:44 AM »

See, I think the course furniture era of ballwashers, tee bins, trash cans, benches, toilet blocks, halfway house and cart paths had run totally out of control. It was an era of needless excess.

Ciao

Tim Martin

« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2023, 08:55:30 AM »

See, I think the course furniture era of ballwashers, tee bins, trash cans, benches, toilet blocks, halfway house and cart paths had run totally out of control. It was an era of needless excess.

Ciao

You would rather store that half eaten tuna salad sandwich that you couldn’t finish in your golf bag for two hours on a ninety degree day than throw it in a trash bin?

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2023, 10:03:41 AM »

Woke? We're over hear talking about benches and somehow "woke" and "hipster" make their way into the conversation. Goodness.

Sean_A

« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2023, 10:41:36 AM »

Ciao

You would rather store that half eaten tuna salad sandwich that you couldn’t finish in your golf bag for two hours on a ninety degree day than throw it in a trash bin?

I would rather not eat tuna. Honestly, what is up? Now you need stinky food on the course? Anything else you must have?

Ciao

Kalen Braley

« Reply #59 on: May 25, 2023, 11:11:49 AM »
Completely agreed with Cal, with woke and hipster references, this thread has gone off the rails a bit  ;)

In response to the "slowing things down by letting a group play thru", well that may be the case in normal conditions, but when the course is already grinding to a 5 hour Sunday round, and you're already waiting on every tee, its not hurting anything to chill for a hole and avoid getting frustrated...and the group behind will in fact appreciate it.  I mean golf is supposed to be enjoyable right?

P.S.  I think there is another plausible reason why benches, bins, and ball washers have been removed...because they can all be found on a golf cart.  Just saying..

Tim Martin

« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2023, 11:52:21 AM »

Ciao

I would rather not eat tuna. Honestly, what is up? Now you need stinky food on the course? Anything else you must have?

Ciao

You missed the point. You also took the conversation from benches to trash cans and other items. I’m just at a loss how either could be offensive to anyone. I’ll let it go. ;D
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 12:10:42 PM by Tim Martin »

MCirba

« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2023, 12:28:29 PM »
I'm admittedly "woke", whatever that it but it sounds to me like someone that is open to considerate ways of thinking about others but wish I could be "hipster".

On the other hand, Kyle Harris told me my golf shoes are "hipster", so I have that going for me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 12:42:30 PM by MCirba »
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2023, 01:03:42 PM »
Benches are a hallmark of a civilized society.

Or maybe when golf was a leisurely pastime?
Are aesthetics and pace of play the major reasons for their demise?
I've used them and bypassed them. Not gonna begrudge anyone for doing likewise.

Jason Topp

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2023, 02:16:38 PM »
Benches might imply mostly CARTS, since the players would have their bench with them.
True walkers really want to sit down every now and them, and the next tee is the perfect place.

Jack Nicklaus said you should never sit down while playing. Now that I’m old, I agree as I’m stiffer when I get up.  Dornoch has benches at a number of holes, but the only one I’m ever tempted by is the one half way up the hill from 6 to 7. ;)

John - I understand that sentiment.  My legs bark back after I eat or have a diet coke post round.  Limited sitting does not seem to be a problem.   

The photo evidence suggests Jack enjoyed a bench at least once:

https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/jack-nicklaus-sits-on-a-pine-bench-with-don-pooley-during-news-photo/87933410

Jason Topp

« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2023, 02:17:44 PM »
I did not see "woke" and "hipster" becoming a part of this discussion but important issues generate that sort of passion!

Jason Topp

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2023, 02:21:53 PM »
A famous Nicklaus Trevino incident involving what looks to be a walking stick - basically a portable bench

https://youtu.be/1cby9hUEVJI

Bernie Bell

« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2023, 02:24:28 PM »
Geez Louise, I wouldn't say I'm "anti-bench," and certainly not woke or hipster.  No strong feelings, but when I see benches at every tee, I get the impression that it's expected and accepted that golfers will be waiting there more than occasionally.  If so, might be more considerate to address the cause for delay.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2023, 02:52:21 PM »
About 15 years ago we eliminated hole signs on the tees and ball washers, although for special events with mostly players who are not members we'll use temporary cardboard tee signs since our hole sequence isn't obvious.  We have a few benches, on four holes, maybe.  We tried in-ground trash cans -- didn't work.  Now we have trash receptacles built into water stations, and we also have a couple of boxes for sand bottle storage.  I'm fine with all of this.  Minimal clutter, but what we have is positive.  None of this is earthshaking stuff.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2023, 02:56:34 PM »
The clutterless mode may be the result of exorbitant prices for benches, ball washers, etc. when you have to buy enough to outfit an entire course.  Check out the catalogs.
Pretty sure most of the embedded trash cans have been in environments where scavengers are apt to scatter our debris.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #69 on: May 25, 2023, 03:34:50 PM »
I've seen the exorbitant cost of benches mentioned more than once. What's the deal there? Are they special benches only for golf? How much are they?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #70 on: May 25, 2023, 03:39:33 PM »
$500-$800 per bench.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2023, 03:54:33 PM »
$500-$800 per bench.

They can't go to the garden center and buy one for less?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2023, 05:40:28 PM »
Courses known for their needless excess... benches, ball washers, trash baskets and half-way houses ;D

Royal Dornoch #17 green viewed from #18 tee

Sleepy Hollow #5

Royal Dornoch half way house

MCirba

« Reply #73 on: May 25, 2023, 07:51:05 PM »
Shameful Stewart.  Consider me aghast.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

MKrohn

« Reply #74 on: May 25, 2023, 10:41:25 PM »
Some word clutter here, trash receptacle, trash bin, trash cans, garbage receptacle, waste paper basket*.............it's just a bin......perhaps an upgrade to receptacle is appropriate if the bin "location" is within the immediate vicinity of a comfort stop.

* credit to Michael McIntyre https://youtu.be/UCo0hSFAWOc

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back