News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: The optimal number of people for a golf trip 1-20
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 10:19:18 AM »
At resorts, getting a tee time as a single is much easier. A last-minute decision brought me to Bandon. I played all five courses in three days. I have made a few trips to GB&I alone and met some great people.

Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 10:26:12 AM »
I was expecting for more single love on this thread. Lawsonia is the only course I have played as a single in my adult life. I think that is what led for my distaste for the course. If I want to hit shots that no one sees I go to the end of the range and hope no lefties show up.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2023, 08:39:38 PM »
I was initially thinking 4, and it seems to be popular.  For me that number lately has been 2, but we're like peas and carrots..

And it goes without saying that who you go with is far far far more important than the number.  In many cases I'd rather go as a single because then at most you only have to put up with someone you ain't gelling with for 4-5 hours.  ;)

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2023, 08:42:59 PM »
At resorts, getting a tee time as a single is much easier. A last-minute decision brought me to Bandon. I played all five courses in three days. I have made a few trips to GB&I alone and met some great people.

I do this quite a bit on road trips. I might get done early with a client or have a cancellation. I do a lot of last minute rounds as a single.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2023, 11:03:53 PM »
Depends if local members are involved to host or if its a yearly society type gig playing for a trophy. If not, no more than 8. I am not that fussed about any number between 2 and 8. If a lot of championship courses are involved it's nice to play in 2 or maybe 3 balls. 4 balls usually results in a load of ball searching.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:39:12 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2023, 11:19:51 PM »
Two people and two dogs.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2023, 08:04:20 AM »
Two people and two dogs.

A “golf trip” denotes travel. You really want to bring two dogs on planes, trains and long car trips? I’m thinking this could be a tongue in cheek response but I’m not sure. Your dog will probably still be there when you get home. ;)

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2023, 12:11:12 PM »

If you are going to be hosted at private clubs 2 or 3 is ideal.  I almost think 2 is better because it gives the host flexibility to fill the group or keep the group at 3 if the host is concerned about pace of play. 

For public golf, four is best.  If you have three, you are spinning the roulette wheel on the 4th that might be added.  If you do not get a 4th, you are likely going to be waiting most of the day.

If it is more than four, it depends on the people and the leader.  The work increases geometrically for every person you add but if the group is right, it can be great.

I have done a couple solo trips and they worked out surprisingly well.  Not my first choice but for the right experience I would do it again.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2023, 03:40:38 PM »
I've hosted several groups at Crystal Downs who come with four, and one of them has to opt out.

The worst part is that the one who opts out is often the one person you'd really want to host.  Am I right, Ben Sims?

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2023, 04:46:56 PM »
A “golf trip” denotes travel. You really want to bring two dogs on planes, trains and long car trips? I’m thinking this could be a tongue in cheek response but I’m not sure. Your dog will probably still be there when you get home. ;)
I hear ya. I'm in the Bay Area, so I'm pretty spoiled with single-day car ride golf trips. I can get anywhere from Palm Springs to Bandon in reasonable drive time. Most of my "golf trips" involve me driving Monterey mid-week to get the reasonable weeknight rates at the Asilomar.
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Mark Smolens

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2023, 05:52:39 PM »
My last trip to Ireland we had 7. Worked out great because or tour guide/bus driver/entertainment committee, Jimmy O'Leary, was an awesome guy and he played with us. Because one guy's flight in was late, Jimmy had to quit early at the Island so that he could go in and talk the chef into staying late and cooking us dinner (we were the only ones on the course).

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2023, 06:10:29 PM »
   I host lots of groups at Casa de Campo. 4 and 8 and are both fun. 4 is easier to organize and administer. 8 is fun because we use a duplicate bridge pairing card to arrange matches every day. No complaints.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2023, 02:56:38 PM »
4 is best, with 8 o.k.  More important than the number, however, is compatibility.  If everyone isn't on the same page, that can cause issues and less than an A-1 trip.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2023, 04:33:40 PM »
Pretty well all my golf trips involve being hosted by members, so the ideal travelling group size is three - or six if a second host can be secured at all venues.

Three is also the maximum number that can fit in a standard car together with clubs and luggage.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2023, 05:33:24 PM »
Pretty well all my golf trips involve being hosted by members, so the ideal travelling group size is three - or six if a second host can be secured at all venues.

Three is also the maximum number that can fit in a standard car together with clubs and luggage.

Are SUVs basically non-existent overseas? Cause 4 people and bags is no problemo even in a mid-size one, much less full.  Asking for a friend. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back