News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

About 12 years ago, I was on a committee that began exploring restoration of an overgrown Ross. We retained Ron Prichard who delivered an outstanding restored course. I caught the Golf Architecture bug from him. It developed into a terminal affliction inside of this eclectic
GolfClubAtlas
echo chamber. Currently working with Prichard again to repair/renovate that restored course damaged by a storm.

A few years ago, a golf architecture afflicted father named Josh Woodward stopped by the Donald Ross designed nine hole Tumblebrook Golf Course in Upper Saucon with his kids. He found it was closed and went on a mission to save it. His path led to GCAtlas member Pam(Silent Ghost) Allen, to Prichard, to Me. Woodward and I partnered, Prichard has joined our effort, and we are pleased to announce that last night, after an almost 3 year journey, the town voted to accept our terms for a long term lease to save the Tumblebrook Donald Ross Course.  We'r begetting our hands dirty for the fight.

There's more good stuff to the story. Please Read the Press Release from Adam here:
https://us3.campaign-archive.com/?u=d52d6d33bf2ca3963e0454f42&id=1deedb34e8
« Last Edit: May 09, 2023, 07:05:31 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Michael Chadwick

Congratulations!
Instagram: mj_c_golf

Joe Bausch

Beautiful, man!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jim Sherma

I’ve played Tumblebrook many times over the years. Fun quick 9 with some decent shots on it. They used to have the Ross stick drawing in the shop, hopefully it was saved. Not sure Ross did much more than make the drawing and mail it back, but still very happy to know it’s coming back. Too bad about Locust Valley down the road though.

Tommy Williamsen

What a great story! Good for you all.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Joe Bausch

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Mayhugh

Congratulations. Looking forward to watching progress on this.

PCCraig

Wonderful! Congrats to all involved!
H.P.S.

Mark_Fine

Congratulations!  I used to live in Coopersburg and know the golf course well.  Many years ago, I put together a preliminary renovation plan for the course and know its history well.  They just never had the funding to make even modest changes/improvements.  I have a copy of the original “Ross” drawing (I saw Joe posted a copy).  Ross was never believed to have been on site, typical for about a third of his designs which many people call his “topo” courses.  Last I was there, I believe only three bunkers remained (the original plan called for about ten). 

I expect the end product will turn out great and nine of the holes might follow the original Ross plan but I think all parties will admit this is going to be a renovation “in the spirit of Ross” vs a pure restoration.  Not all designs (even from someone like Donald Ross) who had so much variety in the quality of his courses, deserve to be "restored".  Tumblebrook is not an Inverness or Oak Hill, however, the completed course should do very well in the area especially with the loss of Locust Valley.  I was actually just at the Locust Valley site yesterday.  I learned to play there.  It is sad seeing it gone.  Ironically my oldest sister is building a home on what was the fairway of the one par five.  It is now a 55+ community.  Congratulations to VH and his team for saving Tumblebrook from a similar fate.  Best of luck with the project!!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2023, 01:13:04 PM by Mark_Fine »

MCirba

Wonderful news and much credit to all involved!   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tim_Cronin

This is so good.

Tumblebrook (love the name) is in excellent hands.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

V_Halyard

I’ve played Tumblebrook many times over the years. Fun quick 9 with some decent shots on it. They used to have the Ross stick drawing in the shop, hopefully it was saved. Not sure Ross did much more than make the drawing and mail it back, but still very happy to know it’s coming back. Too bad about Locust Valley down the road though.
Definitely. We have all 9 of Ross’ plans for each hole. The loss of Locust Valley, scraped and turned into housing and condos was a driver for the town to select our plan. 
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

Congratulations!  I used to live in Coopersburg and know the golf course well.  Many years ago, I put together a preliminary renovation plan for the course and know its history well.  They just never had the funding to make even modest changes/improvements.  I have a copy of the original “Ross” drawing (I saw Joe posted a copy).  Ross was never believed to have been on site, typical for about a third of his designs which many people call his “topo” courses.  Last I was there, I believe only three bunkers remained (the original plan called for about ten). 

I expect the end product will turn out great and nine of the holes might follow the original Ross plan but I think all parties will admit this is going to be a renovation “in the spirit of Ross” vs a pure restoration.  Not all designs (even from someone like Donald Ross) who had so much variety in the quality of his courses, deserve to be "restored".  Tumblebrook is not an Inverness or Oak Hill, however, the completed course should do very well in the area especially with the loss of Locust Valley.  I was actually just at the Locust Valley site yesterday.  I learned to play there.  It is sad seeing it gone.  Ironically my oldest sister is building a home on what was the fairway of the one par five.  It is now a 55+ community.  Congratulations to VH and his team for saving Tumblebrook from a similar fate.  Best of luck with the project!!
Thanks Mark and yes the is definitely not a restoration. Realistically, it could be categorized as a completion. We have the 9 Ross blue paper plans for the course that were never completely implemented. The routing was constructed but the greens, bunkers, and surrounds as drawn by Ross were never shaped.

V_Halyard

Beautiful, man!
Thx Doc Joe B. Proud to join the GAP public golf family as your Cobb’s Creek’s little brother!

Jim Sherma

Thanks Mark and yes the is definitely not a restoration. Realistically, it could be categorized as a completion. We have the 9 Ross blue paper plans for the course that were never completely implemented. The routing was constructed but the greens, bunkers, and surrounds as drawn by Ross were never shaped.

Vaughn - that is so cool - now I am really excited. Building a Ross that had never been completed a much more interesting project than restoring what was there.

MCirba

Vaughn - that is so cool - now I am really excited. Building a Ross that had never been completed a much more interesting project than restoring what was there.

+1000
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Dave Maberry

This is great news! I visited Tumblebrook in November 2019 but did not play. It closed a few months later before I could return.
Looking forward to it's return

John McCarthy

This is so amazingly cool. Well done and keep us in the loop.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Scott Weersing

So can we now call you a golf course developer?

What a fun adventure to be part of.

What are the options for funding the work? Loan, bond, benefactors?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back