GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

I love and hate firm and fast.

(1/11) > >>

Tommy Williamsen:
I played a course a few weeks ago with some of the firmest and fastest fairways and greens I've ever played. I sure liked the conditions off the tee, although there were a couple of times the ball ran farther than my caddie or I thought it would and ran into a bunker. That was fine; I misjudged. Hitting to the greens, however, created problems for me. I hit what I thought were good shots, only to have them go through the greens. I played for the roll, and if I hit them any shorter, I'd have been in a bunker the ball, or it would have stayed short of the green. I loved the course, but the setup made it impossible for me to play it well. I don't hit the ball high enough to hold those greens anymore.

Matt Schoolfield:
I’d be interested to know the holes. This set up makes angles in golf everything, and I love strategy.

Ally Mcintosh:

--- Quote from: Tommy Williamsen on May 07, 2023, 01:22:01 PM ---I played a course a few weeks ago with some of the firmest and fastest fairways and greens I've ever played. I sure liked the conditions off the tee, although there were a couple of times the ball ran farther than my caddie or I thought it would and ran into a bunker. That was fine; I misjudged. Hitting to the greens, however, created problems for me. I hit what I thought were good shots, only to have them go through the greens. I played for the roll, and if I hit them any shorter, I'd have been in a bunker the ball, or it would have stayed short of the green. I loved the course, but the setup made it impossible for me to play it well. I don't hit the ball high enough to hold those greens anymore.

--- End quote ---

Truly firm and fast conditions can only be employed on courses that have been designed for truly firm and fast conditions.

I feel for you, Tommy.

John Kavanaugh:
It’s the finest and most rare of all obstacles.

Thomas Dai:
Happy to have all firm, really firm. Fairways, greens, the lot. What’s a real pain, or maybe an extra ‘challenge’, is when the approaches are irrigated but the greens are really hard and firm. Even more so if the hole is cut at the front. Land the ball short to run or trickle onto the green and the bloody ball will stick and stops on the approach. Fly it further onto the putting surface and bong, the balls bounced and gone long or over the green.
Atb

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version