News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

Tree Farm
« on: May 05, 2023, 06:07:44 PM »
I couldn’t find older threads. Any updates? I think that it was being grassed in last year, but my memory may be faulty.

Thanks.

Rob Marshall

Re: Tree Farm
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2023, 09:23:41 PM »
Jeff Warne had a nice “update” on his Sirius radio show.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2023, 09:56:57 PM »
I couldn’t find older threads. Any updates? I think that it was being grassed in last year, but my memory may be faulty.

Thanks.

I believe The Tree Farm is open for play.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2023, 09:21:50 AM »
They've had some limited member play on it this spring.

I have not been back to see it in its finished form, or indeed, since they started grassing.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2023, 12:02:33 PM »
They've had some limited member play on it this spring.

I have not been back to see it in its finished form, or indeed, since they started grassing.

Tom,

Paul Dudovsky played The Tree Farm recently. Paul definitely gets around!

Tim Weiman

Buck Wolter

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 04:49:06 PM »
I played it recently and thought it was outstanding especially for how new it is. They've been doing preview play since March 1 that wraps up at the end of May and then kicks back off this fall.

It's a big course on interesting terrain -- very grand scale with lots of room off the tee, cool green complexes and interesting but not over the top greens. I thought the par 3's were outstanding -- a great redan that I heard several people say needs softened but I thought was perfect, a beast of a long Par 3 that was a driver for me that was probably a harder 3 than the 18th which is a driveable 4. Lots of half par holes. Fun is the word I heard most and would agree though it's no pushover, especially if you bite off too much.

Buck
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2023, 08:01:07 PM »
I played it recently and thought it was outstanding especially for how new it is. They've been doing preview play since March 1 that wraps up at the end of May and then kicks back off this fall.

It's a big course on interesting terrain -- very grand scale with lots of room off the tee, cool green complexes and interesting but not over the top greens. I thought the par 3's were outstanding -- a great redan that I heard several people say needs softened but I thought was perfect, a beast of a long Par 3 that was a driver for me that was probably a harder 3 than the 18th which is a driveable 4. Lots of half par holes. Fun is the word I heard most and would agree though it's no pushover, especially if you bite off too much.

Buck
Buck,

If a few people say the Redan needs softening, you are probably right that it is perfect. I would be surprised if there weren’t people over the years who thought the Redan at NGLA needs softening. It sure didn’t seem easy during the Walker Cup.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 11:16:27 PM »
I thought the par 3's were outstanding -- a great redan that I heard several people say needs softened

You should have seen Kye and Zac's first version of it  :o

I softened it considerably on my one construction visit.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 05:16:49 PM »
Zac Blair had a helluva tournament this week. I hope Tree Farm continues to progress nicely. He continues to deserve kudos for persistently pursuing his dream.

Ira

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2023, 06:41:18 PM »
Zac Blair had a helluva tournament this week. I hope Tree Farm continues to progress nicely. He continues to deserve kudos for persistently pursuing his dream.
I believe his T2 finish secures his card.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2023, 06:51:27 PM »
Zac needed a solo 2nd. The T2 still leaves him 26 points short.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 07:10:00 PM »
Ohhhhhhhhhhhh. I was given bad information.  ;D
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2023, 10:24:53 PM »

I read that if Zac finishes T31 in a full field event, that will put him over the threshold.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2023, 10:30:22 PM »
I read that if Zac finishes T31 in a full field event, that will put him over the threshold.
How many events does he have left?
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2023, 11:34:40 PM »
How many events does he have left?

In this article it says he has eight events left https://www.ksl.com/article/50673854/former-byu-golfer-zac-blair-on-cusp-of-securing-pga-tour-status-with-strong-finish

but this article says he has seven events left https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/golfbet/medical-extensions

the difference may be that the latter indicates he is in the field for next week

« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:39:02 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2023, 07:23:18 AM »
In this article it says he has eight events left https://www.ksl.com/article/50673854/former-byu-golfer-zac-blair-on-cusp-of-securing-pga-tour-status-with-strong-finish

but this article says he has seven events left https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/golfbet/medical-extensions

the difference may be that the latter indicates he is in the field for next week
Thanks Pete. So, it seems likely he'll get the 26 points. Possibly this week.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Buck Wolter

« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2023, 09:28:53 AM »
The best part of the story is that he played Eastward Ho, Fisher's Island and Winged Foot M-W 'prepping'.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2023, 12:21:06 PM »
The best part of the story is that he played Eastward Ho, Fisher's Island and Winged Foot M-W 'prepping'.

LOL.
Yep-the proven formula of a morning workout, play a 3 1/2 hour nine to get to know the event site, and plenty of "rest".

Kudos to a great week of "prepping" and securing his PGA Tour card.
What a great finish to a great week.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 08:28:57 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2023, 06:07:07 PM »
Congrats likely in order for Zac. He finished T13 today at the 3M in MInnesota,

Aaron Marks

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2024, 10:36:23 AM »
Our friend Jim Colton had Kye Goalby on his Driven podcast.  I'm not surprised that Colton is such a good interviewer, but its refreshing to listen to a podcast that's more about the guest than the host  ;D

Give it a listen, Kye's background is really interesting and its also a fun and informative deep dive into the Tree Farm.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1aoJ7p0WiSWI2wazqVcdaW?si=5e1341da7f40461a

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2024, 10:38:06 AM »

Very good listen.

Our friend Jim Colton had Kye Goalby on his Driven podcast.  I'm not surprised that Colton is such a good interviewer, but its refreshing to listen to a podcast that's more about the guest than the host  ;D

Give it a listen, Kye's background is really interesting and its also a fun and informative deep dive into the Tree Farm.

Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/episode/1aoJ7p0WiSWI2wazqVcdaW?si=5e1341da7f40461a
jeffmingay.com

Ian Andrew

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2024, 01:41:37 PM »
I played it recently and thought it was outstanding especially for how new it is. TI thought the par 3's were outstanding -- a great redan that I heard several people say needs softened but I thought was perfect.
It's a really big strong slope. My playing partner was short right - trying to use the bounce in - and was left with zero options. I came up just short in front on the "upslope" and tried numerous lines (after my original putt) and found no answer. I think its just a front pin thing (they often get complaints because they are extra hard pins to get to). It's fine. Just hard. If they change (lowered) the mowing line on the kicker, there would be more options to play shots to that upper pin. But as I said, I think its fine.

We walked back and played to the back left for fun. Worked great and recovery shots were simple.

Really loved playing the course. The highlight for me was driving the ball on all the fours and fives with the diagonal carries. It was super fun off the tee.

-

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back