News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Fields Ranch in Frisco, Texas Opens for Play
« on: May 02, 2023, 11:37:51 AM »
THE FIRST CALL STAFFFields Ranch_West14.jpgA view of the 14th hole at the Beau Welling-designed Fields Ranch West course.

Fields Ranch, PGA Frisco’s showcase championship golf courses at the PGA of America's new home in Frisco, Texas, will open for play on May 2.The Beau Welling-designed Fields Ranch West is accepting tee times for May 2 onwards. The Gil Hanse designed Fields Ranch East will accept tee times for May 30 onwards after the conclusion of the KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship, May 24-28.Fields Ranch West rambles along Palmer Creek amid a prairie setting punctuated by live oaks and mesquite trees. Welling took full advantage of the site’s natural beauty to create a golf course that is not only picturesque, but combines being family friendly with championship caliber.
Fields Ranch East sits softly on the land and draws its design style and cues from the surrounding landscape. It combines the best of the property’s natural qualities with a thoughtful approach to strategic design. Upon opening to the public, it will play host to an eye-popping 26 additional championships scheduled through 2034, including two PGA Championships, two KPMG Women’s PGA Championships and two KitchenAid Senior PGA Championships.
“Fields Ranch opening will mark the beginning of a new era in championship golf in North America and we are so proud to launch this unprecedented golf and entertainment destination,” said Paul Earnest, director of golf and operations at Fields Ranch at PGA Frisco. “What Gil Hanse and Beau Welling have created here will test the world’s best golfers as well as providing memories of a lifetime for players of all skill levels for decades to come.”
Omni PGA Frisco Resort will also be showcasing the opening of The Swing, a lighted, 10-hole, Par 3 short course, as well as The Dance Floor, a two-acre putting course. Both are co-designed by Hanse and Welling. The Swing presents a fun complement to the golf offerings with holes ranging from 45 to 100 yards. The Dance Floor is considered to be one of the largest natural grass putting courses in the world. It offers the chance to not only practice putting, but also enjoy a laid back atmosphere for golfers and non-golfers alike while navigating three 18-hole layouts and a casual putt-around area.
“No matter what you are looking for in a golf trip, Omni PGA Frisco Resort has all the aspects and amenities to provide a world-class experience for every guest,” said Jeff Smith, vice president and managing director of Omni PGA Frisco Resort. “In partnership with the PGA of America, we look forward to being one of the most sought-after golf destinations in the world.”
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 12:23:33 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jim Hoak

Re: Fields Ranch in Frisco, Texas Opens for Play
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 05:34:58 PM »
The courses and hotel opened today.
I stand by my prediction from a few months ago that the Hanse East course--which will hold the Senior PGA Championship in a few weeks as its inaugural event--will soon be regarded as the best course in Texas, maybe the first real championship course in the state.
Texas is one of the best states in the country for golf by most standards, but has had a dearth of truly great courses.  In my opinion, these courses should begin to change that image.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 12:47:54 AM »
I was just looking through the website and I see that playing the East course is an upgrade/additional cost to their golf packages. Is the East intended to be the "better" course, or were they trying for two equal ones?

Steve Lang

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 07:58:07 AM »
I was just looking through the website and I see that playing the East course is an upgrade/additional cost to their golf packages. Is the East intended to be the "better" course, or were they trying for two equal ones?

The East Course marketing just makes it easier to suck more money out of the patrons' pockets.  Just ask Paul E how he "repositioned" his last ClubCorp/Invited Courses...
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Jim Hoak

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 01:22:57 PM »
Matt, I believe that the Hanse East Course is meant to be the primary Championship course.  I believe that is where the PGA will hold most (if not all) of its big events--PGA Championship, Ryder Cup, etc.
I have played the East--and it is excellent.  A truly "big" course.  The West course looks good, but I have not played it.  It is equally attractive to look at.
Guests in the hotel--or otherwise--can play either course, but I believe that the East will be seen as the main Championship course--maybe not "better," but the main tournament course.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2023, 03:41:14 PM »
I just got back from the inaugural event at the new PGA course in Frisco, TX, the Senior PGA Championship.  I hope that people got to see the telecast on Golf Channel.
The course looked terrific, and it was a strong field.  They played it at a bit over 7,000 yards; it can be stretched well back of that.
Two impressions--
--It really feels like a "big" course.  Great vistas--especially for Texas.  It's hard to believe that land that good could have existed next to Dallas and not been used for golf till now.
--Hanse did a good job.  A unique feature are the long, "snake-like" tees, allowing for a lot of lengths and angles.
I'll try to stop being overly enthusiastic about the course, but I think it is a great addition to golf--both nationally and to Texas.

mike_beene

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2023, 04:51:33 PM »
Does it feel wide? A friend of mine played it a few days ago and said he lost half a dozen balls. Of course they were prepping for this PGA, but I wonder how bad the rough will be for resort play? Sure looks good to me!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2023, 04:55:38 PM »
My wife and I hope to be there the Thursday before Labor Day if anyone is nearby.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Jim Hoak

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2023, 06:51:24 PM »
Mike, it does feel wide and open--and the rough is full but not where you could lose a ball.  But on several holes there are marshy, wetlands where the creeks run.  We used to call them sloughs in the Midwest.  They are red penalty areas, but I don't think they are at all tight to play.  There are wooded areas outside the marshes; not many trees elsewhere. On some holes, there are carries over these wet areas.  I think maybe your friend was extra wild that day--or playing from too long of tees and couldn't handle the carries?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 08:37:09 AM by Jim Hoak »

mike_beene

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »
Probably a little of both!

Jim Hoak

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2023, 10:26:03 AM »
The Dallas Morning News reports this morning that the Senior pros playing at the new PGA course are raving about it--and its ability to be set up to handle the younger pros for future PGA's and Ryder Cups.
The only--somewhat mild--criticism has to do with the unique teeing areas at the course.  As the long, snakey, tees wind back, some have less-than-totally-flat areas to tee from.  I'm sure this is intentional.  I find the teeing areas to be the most unique of any part of the course.  Any thoughts--pro or con?

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 01:54:27 PM »
The Dallas Morning News reports this morning that the Senior pros playing at the new PGA course are raving about it--and its ability to be set up to handle the younger pros for future PGA's and Ryder Cups.
The only--somewhat mild--criticism has to do with the unique teeing areas at the course.  As the long, snakey, tees wind back, some have less-than-totally-flat areas to tee from.  I'm sure this is intentional.  I find the teeing areas to be the most unique of any part of the course.  Any thoughts--pro or con?

https://www.golfmagic.com/us-pga/john-daly-withdraws-senior-major-then-fumes-state-tee-boxes

My immediate reaction is to laugh and brush it off because of who’s saying it, but I hope someone will let me know if this seems like a legitimate gripe.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 03:46:42 PM »
The course looks terrific with some interesting choices to be made like on 15.

P.S.  I just watched Harrington take several grounded practice swings out of a clearly marked red hazard area (one of those swampy bogs).  When did they change that rule?

Mark Kiely

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 04:53:33 PM »
The course looks terrific with some interesting choices to be made like on 15.

P.S.  I just watched Harrington take several grounded practice swings out of a clearly marked red hazard area (one of those swampy bogs).  When did they change that rule?

2019 when they made all the big rule changes and created the term "penalty area" to replace hazards. Still feels weird to me to ground a club in one.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back