News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

OT-Scotland Travel
« on: April 28, 2023, 02:47:07 PM »
Sorry, but I need some advice. I have a car rented for a weeklong trip to Nairn and Dunbar this summer. I really don’t need to be mobile once I get to the two towns I’m visiting, and it seems EDI to Nairn, then Nairn way back down to Dunbar, then Dunbar to EDI will cost less than 100GBP if I advance purchase, vs 800GBP for the rental car.

Thoughts?

Sean_A

Re: OT-Scotland Travel
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 03:34:28 PM »
Are you solo with lots of time?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 03:43:19 PM »

Ciao

Solo. Carry-on and golf bag. Travel days are travel days for the most part. I don’t have any tee times on those days.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 04:56:24 PM »
Train.  Easy, no hassle, just as pretty.  Bit slower.  If you really don't need a car in the towns, the train is a no brainer.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Doug Bolls

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 06:27:55 PM »
My experience on the train was very nice.  We took the train from London Gatwick all the way to Luchers (sp?) for arrival in St. Andrews.  We rented a car in St. Andrews for a few days, and then took train back to London.  Went very well - and saved a good bit of money.
One American's experience.

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 08:53:02 PM »
Yes, the train probably makes sense assuming the places you are staying are within easy walking distance to the courses.

From Edinburgh the train will take you to central Inveress. From there you will need to change trains to go to Nairn. You could also look into taking a bus from Inverness to Nairn. My guess is the buses run more often than the trains. The train and bus stations in Inverness are just a few blocks away from each other.

Not sure if you will need to change trains in Edinburgh to get to Dunbar. Taking a bus out to Dunbar could again be an option.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:59:35 PM by David_Tepper »

Mike Worth

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 09:06:49 PM »
I did a 45 day trip last year using the same concept.

I was also alone and had plenty of time to get from place to place.

The best arrangement is when I took the train into a certain area and then rented a car. The best example is I took the train from Edinburgh to Leeds.  I then rented a car for about five days and played some great courses.

archie_struthers

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 09:51:30 PM »
 :o ;D

Wow, I love these stories about golf and travel. You guys are my idol. 45 day trip with clubs, trains and the occasional automobile , well done Mike!  Pretty cool stuff guys , rave on.

mike_beene

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 11:39:15 PM »
I know most people comfortably switch between left and right driving. I do not. I spend more time in semi panic. A vote for the train. I wish St. Andrews still had rail.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 03:49:03 AM »

Ciao

Solo. Carry-on and golf bag. Travel days are travel days for the most part. I don’t have any tee times on those days.

Download the Trainline app. You can get a train from Edinburgh to Nairn for well under £100 return. The train also runs between Dunbar and Edinburgh.

I would check into getting a Vets railcard. I don't know if US military qualify or if its worth the fee for one trip, but it can't hurt to ask.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 06:58:47 AM »
Ben

As Sean says you should be able to get a return train ticket for well under £100 using one of the various online ticket-lines provided you pre-book and travel at off-peak times.

Buses might be a bit cheaper but not nearly as comfortable and you don't get the same views. Can I suggest you might want to take the train via Aberdeen as it will take you alongside a number of courses such as Carnoustie, Panmure, Monifieth and in the case of Stonehaven actually through the middle of the course. You can then travel via Inverness on the way back. Both take roughly the same time c.5 hours and are a nice way to travel.

Niall

Ben Sims

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 11:19:45 AM »
Any issues or things I need to know about golf travel bags on trains? Not much on the ScotRail website about them.

Sean_A

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2023, 12:30:20 PM »
Any issues or things I need to know about golf travel bags on trains? Not much on the ScotRail website about them.

Shouldn't be an issue with golf gear etc. One piece of advice, try to book a seat near a luggage rack at the rear of train cars so you can keep an eye on your gear.

Ciao

Mike Worth

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2023, 05:38:02 PM »

Ditto the advice on trying to sit near the luggage area.  There is usually a luggage area at the end of each car for oversize baggage.  I also found a lack of information on the rail websites, but once I began using the trains to move about, I found it quite easy to move about.

I often booked first class. If you purchase the ticket early enough, it’s not a huge increase in price. I found the extra leg room and comfort and being able to quickly get to the luggage area to be helpful. 

Question, do you have a military affiliation? I saw another poster make reference to a veteran discount when answering one of your questions.

I am retired Army. I looked into the veteran discount via the Trainline app. I did not think it applied to me as the language was pretty specific to mean a UK  vet.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2023, 05:44:13 PM by Mike Worth »

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2023, 10:44:03 AM »
Ben

I don't think there should be any issue with luggage on the train although I'm not sure that the carriages will necessary have the luggage racks that Mike and Sean refer to. Some don't, particularly if it is more a local train service rather than one direct from city to city. However even the local trains have gaps between seats where they back on to each other, that you can slip in luggage provided it's not too bulky.

Niall 

jeffwarne

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2023, 12:46:07 PM »
Sorry, but I need some advice. I have a car rented for a weeklong trip to Nairn and Dunbar this summer. I really don’t need to be mobile once I get to the two towns I’m visiting, and it seems EDI to Nairn, then Nairn way back down to Dunbar, then Dunbar to EDI will cost less than 100GBP if I advance purchase, vs 800GBP for the rental car.

Thoughts?

What week are you going?
800 pounds for a car for one person?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Sims

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2023, 01:21:20 PM »

Thoughts?

What week are you going?
800 pounds for a car for one person?

June 17-24

The reason it costs so much is 1) I wanted an auto. Stick is cool if I’m not remembering how to drive in the UK and 2) I got all the insurance since my American policy doesn’t cover rentals overseas.

I think it would’ve been like 480 without insurance and a manual n

Ken Moum

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2023, 03:32:30 PM »
Ben, have you looked at the Arnold Clark's rentals? Based on Fergusons book it's the only place we've used for our trips.

Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2023, 05:22:17 PM »
Ben - As you know, I've been spending four months in Scotland for a few summers now... always WITHOUT a vehicle during my stay! Don't worry about using public transportation to get around. Public transportation is plentiful, well organized, and extremely affordable. If you use trains, buses and taxis you will come out much cheaper than renting a car, although it's considerably less convenient. That's the tradeoff... there is less hassle renting than using public transport. Only you can decide which you prefer, but for an American, using public transportation is a bit of an adventure.

If you decide to rent a car, check if one of your credit cards offers rental insurance for bookings paid for exclusively on the card. American Express offers this, as does most VISA cards. I've never paid for the supplemental insurance in the UK when renting a car. The cards require you to refuse the "excess" coverage and pay for everything on their card. They then cover you if there are any issues during your trip. You can find details and instructions on the card's website, or you can call customer service from the number on the back of your card for advice. I've had a couple of fender benders in the past and the credit card coverage has always been excellent and smoothly handled.

Hope this helps.

Whit
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Max Prokopy

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2023, 09:56:02 PM »
Yes, the train probably makes sense assuming the places you are staying are within easy walking distance to the courses.

From Edinburgh the train will take you to central Inveress. From there you will need to change trains to go to Nairn. You could also look into taking a bus from Inverness to Nairn. My guess is the buses run more often than the trains. The train and bus stations in Inverness are just a few blocks away from each other.

Tha's sound advice.  From my experience the buses were significantly more frequent and convenient. 

I was last there some time ago but in rural areas you could just ask the driver to pull over almost anywhere and they would.  I got a bus to drop me at Leadhills, which is a little 9-holer with nobody around and the highest teebox in Britain.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 09:57:52 PM by Max Prokopy »

jeffwarne

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2023, 10:16:31 PM »
Ben - As you know, I've been spending four months in Scotland for a few summers now... always WITHOUT a vehicle during my stay! Don't worry about using public transportation to get around. Public transportation is plentiful, well organized, and extremely affordable. If you use trains, buses and taxis you will come out much cheaper than renting a car, although it's considerably less convenient. That's the tradeoff... there is less hassle renting than using public transport. Only you can decide which you prefer, but for an American, using public transportation is a bit of an adventure.

If you decide to rent a car, check if one of your credit cards offers rental insurance for bookings paid for exclusively on the card. American Express offers this, as does most VISA cards. I've never paid for the supplemental insurance in the UK when renting a car. The cards require you to refuse the "excess" coverage and pay for everything on their card. They then cover you if there are any issues during your trip. You can find details and instructions on the card's website, or you can call customer service from the number on the back of your card for advice. I've had a couple of fender benders in the past and the credit card coverage has always been excellent and smoothly handled.

Hope this helps.

Whit

This.
have NEVER bought supplemental coverage.
As Michael says. most Visas cover and Chase Saphire Preferred covers even Ireland, Jamaica and Isreal, which are excluded by most credit cards.

$392 for a comfortable economy car your exact dates all in via very reputable Enterprise at EDI(as noted Clark's can perhaps do better)
You're a pilot-pretty sure you can figure out a left hand manual in about 30 seconds.
You'll thank me when you have the freedom and flexibility to check out all the cool off the beaten tracks you could drive right by(or to) en route to where you're going.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David_Tepper

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2023, 10:29:25 PM »
Ben -

And speaking of Nairn and Dunbar, don't forget there is a 2nd course in Nairn called Nairn Dunbar. :)

https://nairndunbar.com/

It is not as pure a links as Nairn, but there are some pretty good holes there. Nairn GC is on the west side of town. Nairn Dunbar is on the east side.

DT
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 12:18:03 PM by David_Tepper »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2023, 11:53:32 AM »
I'm going to Scotland in a couple of weeks. Paying about 400 quid for a midsize manual transmission car for a week (and relying on Amex for insurance). Wanted to get something larger but can't bring myself to spend nearly $2k for a week. UK rental car prices are not appealing right now. A bit better in London in Sept.

I actually considered using Turo, but my schedule is pretty tight and I didn't want to risk complications. It might be worth looking at as an alternative once you're settled in an area.

Bill Crane

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2023, 01:20:17 PM »
David:      How close to Dornoch can you get by train?   Is it a train to Tain (mainly in the rain) and then bus or Taxi, Uber etc to Dornoch ?

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2023, 01:33:32 PM »
Tain would be easiest. There used to be light rail to Dornoch, connecting with the main train line I think at Golspie -- it ran through the site now proposed for Coul Links, but it has been closed for many, many years.

I'd be utterly amazed if Uber operates in Sutherland.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back