News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Where do you aim on par threes?
« on: April 28, 2023, 02:35:09 PM »
A friend moaned, "I have not made a hole-in-one in a decade." His son replied, "That's because you don't always aim at the hole, but play it safe."
That got me thinking. I began aiming at the hole more often. Can't make 'em if you don't aim at 'em.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tim Martin

Re: Where do you aim on par threes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2023, 02:49:53 PM »
If I am playing a casual round with nothing at stake I will aim at the pin. If I am playing in a four ball game with gambling or a competitive round where I have to hole out and post a score I will usually aim for the center of the green. In any round where you aren’t required to hole out for a medal score ESC gets applied which is a hedge against a blowup hole for purposes of posting a score into GHIN. Finally in any game where I have a partner I try not to impact him negatively with a risky/greedy play unless circumstances dictate and he encourages me to take dead aim.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2023, 02:59:46 PM »
"I have not made a hole-in-one in a decade."

I wish I had that problem. I've never made one...

To answer the question, I pretty much always aim at the middle (taking wind, slope, etc. into account). Unless it's a very dangerous hole (i.e. long shot over water) then I'll go midway between the bailout and the middle of the green.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2023, 03:03:05 PM »
A friend moaned, "I have not made a hole-in-one in a decade." His son replied, "That's because you don't always aim at the hole, but play it safe."
That got me thinking. I began aiming at the hole more often. Can't make 'em if you don't aim at 'em.
Tommy,

It varies somewhat by each hole and how well I am playing, but generally speaking I aim to maximize the potential for par and to avoid the possibility of bogey or doubles.

A “3” is a nice score on the card.
Tim Weiman

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2023, 03:16:48 PM »
   I aim at greens, not holes. Will take different club depending on whether pin is front, middle or back. Have had 4, purely a function of many opportunities.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 03:19:11 PM by Jim_Coleman »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2023, 04:17:01 PM »
As the years pass more and more par-3’s are no longer even reachable in 1 shot, sometimes even from a front tee. Oh well, that’s life (and golf).
🙂⛳️

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 04:20:11 PM »
The upcoming USGA Distance Insights report shows that average golfers really bail out at much shorter distances than I would have imagined, something like 145 yards if there is a water hazard.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2023, 04:47:29 PM »
The upcoming USGA Distance Insights report shows that average golfers really bail out at much shorter distances than I would have imagined, something like 145 yards if there is a water hazard.
As they should.  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 06:22:25 PM »

Of those who can make the carry who does Brodie have bailing out?

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 06:27:01 PM »
Not sure what you're asking exactly. Depends on the size of their Shot Zones at the relative length, how you define "bailing out," the hazards and shapes and sizes of everything… etc.

Flag hunting outside of even 80 yards is folly for almost all golfers. Outside of even 40 to 60 yards for bad golfers.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2023, 06:50:45 PM »
Not sure what you're asking exactly. Depends on the size of their Shot Zones at the relative length, how you define "bailing out," the hazards and shapes and sizes of everything… etc.

Flag hunting outside of even 80 yards is folly for almost all golfers. Outside of even 40 to 60 yards for bad golfers.

You agreed(”As they should”) with Jeff Brauer’s reference to the USGA Distance Insights report that makes reference to “average golfers bailing out” at 145 yards if there is a water hazard. Your reply of “as they should” indicates that you have a definition for “average golfers” and “bailing out”.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2023, 06:52:38 PM »
You agreed(”As they should”) with Jeff Brauer’s reference to the USGA Distance Insights report that makes reference to “average golfers bailing out” at 145 yards if there is a water hazard. Your reply of “as they should” indicates that you have a definition for “average golfers” and “bailing out”.
I know what I wrote. They shouldn't flag hunt from 145, particularly if there is water… unless the flag is really, really far away from the water and in an otherwise safe place.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Tim Martin

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2023, 07:08:23 PM »
I know what I wrote. They shouldn't flag hunt from 145, particularly if there is water… unless the flag is really, really far away from the water and in an otherwise safe place.

What is your definition of “average golfer” and “really, really far?”

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2023, 08:25:14 PM »

Tim,

I have the Broadie book but the USGA Distance Insights report is prepared with in house USGA researchers.  I don't recall Broadie saying anything in particular about par 3 holes, but (from memory) very similar to Erik's answer, i.e., know your 80-90-99% dispersion pattern for that length shot and play half of that from the margin of the hazard, at least.

I think the average player has a 90% shot dispersion pattern that equates to about 15-20% of shot length, i.e., a 160 yard par three, they should expect lateral dispersion of about 24 yards (depending on exactly what % they are measuring, and so should be 12+1 or 16 + 1 yards away from trouble, just like any other shot.  I think average players may be a bit more accurate with the ball on the tee, so maybe a few will cut it closer, but Erik will come on here and say it isn't so! 

What struck me is how quickly the % of success of shots goes down.

At 75 yards, females have a 55% success rate on carries compared to an 85% success rate for males. By 100 yards, female success rate drops to 30% versus males of over 80%

For men, at 150 yards away from the green, 90% of high skilled golfers succeed on carries compared to 70% of regular and 31% of low skilled golfers.  They refer to the last group as "outing players" i.e., occasional golfers, I think.

Some of the varying charts are a bit hard for me to interpret, but you get the idea.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Cal Carlisle

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2023, 09:26:59 PM »
If it's over 165 I'm aiming at the center of the green. Otherwise (barring any crazy wind or super tough pin placement) I'll shoot at the pin.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »
What is your definition of “average golfer” and “really, really far?”
I think I've answered your questions. Tour pros shouldn't (and most don't) flag hunt from 145.

I have the Broadie book but the USGA Distance Insights report is prepared with in house USGA researchers.  I don't recall Broadie saying anything in particular about par 3 holes, but (from memory) very similar to Erik's answer, i.e., know your 80-90-99% dispersion pattern for that length shot and play half of that from the margin of the hazard, at least.
Yep. Even if that puts a good chunk of your Shot Zone into the rough. Better there than in a penalty area.

If it's over 165 I'm aiming at the center of the green. Otherwise (barring any crazy wind or super tough pin placement) I'll shoot at the pin.
Might not be the best for scoring over the long term, but as is being pointed out in this topic… might lead to more excitement and holes in one.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 09:48:34 PM by Erik J. Barzeski »
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2023, 09:53:38 PM »
I've been lucky enough to make 4. Won a car (only a Honda Civic :( ) with one of them.

Can't say I aimed at the pin on any of them. :)

archie_struthers

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2023, 09:54:19 PM »
 8)

I have always aimed at the high side of the green relative to the pin. If you happen to push or pull it it may go in !  If you hit it where you aim it should funnel towards the flag. Never hit it to the side that repels the ball ! :)

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2023, 08:14:40 AM »
Won a car (only a Honda Civic :( ) with one of them.
Beautiful. A momentous achievement followed by disappointment. I can't imagine your anguish.

No wonder the non golfer and the recreational one find the elitism of the game so distasteful.

P.S. Congratulations on the aces. Hope those in the future come with proper rewards.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2023, 08:46:27 AM »
You really think that hole in one’s come from aiming at the pin?
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tim Martin

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2023, 09:18:11 AM »

I wonder what kind of statistical data is out there for your question? Despite the luck required to make an ace you would think that the odds would be better especially inside of 150 yards for a skilled player if they aimed at the pin.

Phil Young

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2023, 11:53:37 AM »
At the group of guys standing by the flagstick who are waiting to putt out for their 5s and 6s who are waving me up...

Bruce Katona

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2023, 01:15:36 PM »
Aim:  I there's enough room, at the pin.

If there's no room or a long carry (190 plus) to the open side of the green away from trouble.

Result does not always correspond to the aim point, however.

To date: zero holes in one - hit the stick a few times but they didn't go in.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2023, 02:47:46 PM »
You are more likely to get a hole in one by aiming at the hole than by aiming at a spot 25 feet from the hole, yes. I think that's all anyone has said.

Also, worse players often have a slightly easier time getting a hole in one because their ball doesn't "hit, hop, and stop" quite as often. They're ball rolls, so there's an increased chance of the rolling ball crossing over the hole than a ball that hits, hops in the air, and stops.

If I was ever in a hole-in-one challenge I'd take a club or two more and make partial swings to increase the green surface my balls covered.

Aim:  I there's enough room, at the pin.

If there's no room or a long carry (190 plus) to the open side of the green away from trouble.

Result does not always correspond to the aim point, however.
This is correct, except to say that there's almost never "enough room" even from 120 yards to aim at the flag/hole (unless it's pretty much in the middle of the green, or it's on a massive green like St. Andrews where the middle might be 150 feet from the hole).
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas

Rob Marshall

« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2023, 06:23:50 PM »

I wonder what kind of statistical data is out there for your question? Despite the luck required to make an ace you would think that the odds would be better especially inside of 150 yards for a skilled player if they aimed at the pin.

Tim,
I have 5. Only one was a distance where I was "taking dead aim". Actually holed 2 on the fly. All were good shots but just plain luck they went in. A little skill and a whole lot of luck.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back