News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Lovett

Kalamazoo Country Club - Andrew Green
« on: April 27, 2023, 03:47:18 PM »
Maybe this is old news, but I heard today that Kalamazoo Country Club has acquired land adjacent to its established property and is building a short course and new 100,000 sf clubhouse. Once it's finished, the existing property and golf course will be demo'd and an entirely new golf course designed by Andrew Green. Apparently, this will be a $100mm+ investment - a sporty figure for a community such as Kalamazoo.

I've visited Kalamazoo over the years, as my daughter earned her Master's degree at Western Michigan - and have driven by KCC many times. It looks like a sporty course and nice club with a history going back to 1910. I understand Tom Bendelow may have been responsible for a portion of the design.

Is anyone aware of this project and can share information, design, etc?

Charlie Goerges

Re: Kalamazoo Country Club - Andrew Green
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 03:53:51 PM »
$100 million? That sounds like a lot.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 05:00:31 PM »
$100 million? That sounds like a lot.

Not just a lot…..crazy.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2023, 08:24:21 PM »
I've heard the same story and the same outrageous number.

What I heard is that a member there sold his business for a couple billion dollars, and decided to spend some of it improving the golf course, which his home borders.  That's the impetus for moving the clubhouse -- away from his home, I think.  He is also a member of Inverness Club and was impressed with the redesign there, et voila.

My associate Don Placek had been advising Kalamazoo CC for the last 10-15 years, was very surprised to find out they were changing it all.

Bob_Garvelink

Re: Kalamazoo Country Club - Andrew Green New
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2023, 08:42:52 PM »
The family that is funding this project is one of the wealthiest families in America and has close ties to the Kalamazoo area.  They are great people who continue to give back to the community in a number of different ways.  I would guess that they are doing it to ensure that KCC is around 100 years from now.  This family has funded the "Kalamazoo Promise", donated $550 million to Western Michigan Univ, and to many other things to list.  $100 million to them is like $1,000 to most folks.

They are moving the clubhouse, adding a practice area and a short course at first and then plan to redo the course.  Should be amazing and I cannot wait to check it out when the time comes.

KCC is a nice place....but was hurting over the years as most country clubs were for members.  My understanding was this same family bought KCC because they wanted to keep it in the community.   I am sure that membership is fine as most places are but a total renovation should put them back at #1 for private courses in the area. 
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 08:47:06 PM by Bob_Garvelink »
"Pure Michigan"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back