News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

A new members-only development known as Austin Beach Club is in the early stages of planning on the outer reaches of southeast Austin, Texas.
Located in a region called Dog’s Head, a 3,000-acre tract where the Colorado River resembles the shape of a dog’s head, the multi-use development is expected to include a 12-hole short course of par 3s designed by Roy Bechtol of Austin-based Planned Environments/Bechtol Golf Designs.

Read more:

OUTSIDE AUSTIN CITY LIMITS
A new members-only development known as Austin Beach Club is in the early stages of planning on the outer reaches of southeast Austin, Texas.
Located in a region called Dog’s Head, a 3,000-acre tract where the Colorado River resembles the shape of a dog’s head, the multi-use development is expected to include a 12-hole short course of par 3s designed by Roy Bechtol of Austin-based Planned Environments/Bechtol Golf Designs.
Bechtol has created such courses as University of Texas Golf Club, Escondido in Horseshoe Bay and the Spieth Lower Forty, a six-hole par-3 course in Austin where Jordan Spieth consulted.
“Golf is a demanding game, to say the least,” Bechtol told the Austin American-Statesman in making the case for short courses. “I think you’re seeing a move afoot with younger millennials to play in a way that takes less time and is more fun. This just opens it up to so much more of the populace to fall in love with the game. It’s a much quicker way to spend the day. What we’re trying to create at the Austin Beach Club is to play real golf, get outdoors, get away from computers.”
Bechtol is collaborating with course designer Jim Fazio Jr. on the project.
Austin Beach Club developer Lauren Carlson believes that the location of the course and the purpose for it will drive membership sales.
“The property is so magical,” she said. “We have downtown views and there’s just a feeling you get when you go out there. Whether you want to golf or just decompress, this is about getting into nature and connecting with other people.”
The golf course has a target date of July 2024 for opening.

Design Notes
« Last Edit: April 27, 2023, 02:48:43 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tom_Doak

Re: Austin Beach Club designed by Roy Bechtol under development
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
A stand-alone par-3 course within a residential community?  That's an interesting development.  I will be curious to see if there are more of them.

I looked at a couple of properties around Austin a couple of years back and they were all quite rocky / expensive to build on, plus, crowded in by real estate.  A par-3 is a neat solution to those problems.

Ben Hollerbach

Re: Austin Beach Club designed by Roy Bechtol under development
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2023, 02:42:43 PM »
A stand-alone par-3 course within a residential community?  That's an interesting development.  I will be curious to see if there are more of them.

I looked at a couple of properties around Austin a couple of years back and they were all quite rocky / expensive to build on, plus, crowded in by real estate.  A par-3 is a neat solution to those problems.
The first one that comes to mind is Bear Lake Reserve in Western North Carolina

Keith Williams

Tom,

Bill Bergin recently completed The Patch, a 12 hole par 3 that is part of a residential real estate development.  I haven't been there, but it looks like a really interesting place.  This is a write up outlining the course...

https://www.golfcrusade.com/post/thepatch

Keith

Brad Tufts

Is Mountain Shadows in AZ residential?  I'm not sure if it's all par threes, might have a couple fours too.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Jeff_Brauer

Is Mountain Shadows in AZ residential?  I'm not sure if it's all par threes, might have a couple fours too.

Mountain Shadows is more of an executive course, and it does go through residential because I remember having a nice conversation with a resident when crossing a road while she was walking her dog.

Another 12 hole executive course in this genre is Monarch Dunes, supplementing their "regulation" course.  The course has been very successful.  I've only been there a few times, but it seems packed each time.  Who knew?  Designing a course that is fun for newbs and D players is a good idea, rather than designing for pro tour events that will never come, or even the 1% of low handicap players who might want more challenge.

I get it. The quickest solution to 5 hour rounds is cutting the total number and length of holes until rounds are 3-3.5 hours, tradition be damned. 

We told our fathers not to expect we will enjoy the game exactly as they did, and now on the other end of the age spectrum, we have to accept that a new generation, complaining about pace of play, will tell us the same thing.  And, in reality, is the tradition of 18 holes more important than the average player's enjoyment of the game?  They obviously say not.

18 holes are said to be a result of there being 18 shots in a bottle of scotch. Just think...if golf was invented now it might have 6 or 12 holes, one per each can of craft beer in a pack.  Or, at least a subset of golfers will think of it that way.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 08:37:37 AM by Jeff_Brauer »
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Matt Schoolfield

Grew up in Austin, this should be interesting. I would note that the area in question is directly in the flight path of the main airport. Calling the area "on the outer reaches of southeast Austin" is also a bit incorrect. That area is directly adjacent to the East Austin neighborhood (in between East Austin and the new Tesla Gigafactory), and is much closer to the city center than much of North and South Austin is. I've always wondered why this area lacked development, but looking at a map with the Austin borders turned on, it sort of makes sense, as it's surrounded by Austin, and has no access to the other side of the river without Austin approval.

If anyone is visiting the site, I would highly recommend stopping by Callahan's General Store, which is a cute country/feed store that sells western wear and tchotchkes.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2023, 06:08:37 PM by Matt Schoolfield »
Building an encyclopedia of golf courses that anyone can edit: Golf Course Wiki
Some strong opinions on golf: Wigs on the Green
I really think golf culture should be more like beer culture than wine culture

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back