News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

Re: Golf
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2023, 03:07:11 PM »
I may be mistaken but didn't Tiger recently suggest he was looking forward to the Senior Tour so he could play using a cart, given his difficulty walking?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

David Kelly

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2023, 04:54:59 PM »
I just wonder whether or not this transition in "star power" (to the lack thereof) will jeopardize the future of the senior tour in regards to tournament attendance and TV viewership.
I think that happened over 20 years ago. 
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2023, 05:37:41 PM »
"If you had Phil and Tiger playing the tour it would draw people."

Wayne -

I agree it would help draw people, but I just don't see that happening. Hard to imagine Tiger wanting to compete against a group of guys he totally dominated in his younger days. What would be the point? What does he need to prove? Hopefully he will not need the money. ;)
I think you are right David, but could you not have said the same thing about Jack 30 years ago when he played the Senior Tour?  Maybe he still wants to compete and he would have the option of using a cart to lessen the stress on his leg.

David_Tepper

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2023, 09:07:59 PM »
Wayne -

Yes, JN did play in some senior tour events, mostly "the majors" as I recall. Remember that JN played less than a full tour schedule even in his prime.

My guess is JN was probably coaxed into playing in those senior events by the PGA and the USGA as they were trying to get the senior tour established back then. JN likely felt a sense of obligation to support those efforts.

I could be proven wrong, but I have my doubts Tiger will feel any such sense of obligation.

DT

Ken Moum

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2023, 04:47:59 AM »
I may be mistaken but didn't Tiger recently suggest he was looking forward to the Senior Tour so he could play using a cart, given his difficulty walking?

He did, and I think the people who minimize the possibility of him playing are forgetting how competitive he is.  People like him have trouble giving up a chance to beat somebody's butt.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

jeffwarne

« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2023, 01:13:08 PM »

He did, and I think the people who minimize the possibility of him playing are forgetting how competitive he is.  People like him have trouble giving up a chance to beat somebody's butt.

exactly.
What else is he going to do assuming he's healthy enough to.
A better path than angry CEO with something to prove ala Greg Norman
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

David Cronan

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2023, 02:40:27 PM »

exactly.
What else is he going to do assuming he's healthy enough to.
A better path than angry CEO with something to prove ala Greg Norman

As much as he seemingly loves competition, I don't envision the Champions Tour quenching that thirst. Woods loves and thrives playing on the biggest stages and the Senior Tour ain't exactly that.

Perhaps more importantly in his decision might be who he competes with/against, and by that I don't mean the quality of talent on the senior circuit. His best friends are, based on reports, Justin Thomas, Rory McIlroy, Rick Fowler, Notah Begay, and his son, Charlie. None of these guys play the Champions Tour and I don't think rubbing elbows with Steve Alker, Bernhard Langer, Kenny Duke, Sean Micheel, Fred Funk, David Duval, Tripp Kirklett, Billy Mayfair, etc. sounds like a great time for him. But who knows?

All speculation on my part but it just doesn't seem to me that playing with the seniors is going to scratch his itch.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2023, 02:48:36 PM by David Cronan »

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2023, 03:38:50 PM »
I also wonder if we might have a Gordie Howe situation in a few years.  Tournaments will give Charlie a sponsors invitation in the hope that Tiger plays as well.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2023, 04:04:14 PM »
I also wonder if we might have a Gordie Howe situation in a few years.  Tournaments will give Charlie a sponsors invitation in the hope that Tiger plays as well.

Except Mark Howe had a hall of fame career 😎.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2023, 05:05:18 PM »
Is this a Red Wings fan making an early call on Charlie's career?  Or lack thereof?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2023, 06:46:47 PM »
I thought Senior Majors were cart free anyways?  Cause that wouldn't exactly help Tiger's situation and I'm guessing he won't have any desire to play some no-name regular season event in Wichita or wherever.

Or perhaps the Tour will change its stance on appearance fees for Tiger?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back