News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Goerges

Re: Proposed changes to Baltray
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2023, 09:48:22 AM »
problems with "safety":

I'm curious if golf is different than other places of work when it comes to safety. In a factory setting (which is the only area where I have any knowledge) there are generally no excuses, no grandfathering of equipment or circumstances. Fixes must be made if something is unsafe, and ignorance is no defense. By the discussion here, golf is not quite like that?
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2023, 09:56:18 AM »
problems with "safety":

I'm curious if golf is different than other places of work when it comes to safety. In a factory setting (which is the only area where I have any knowledge) there are generally no excuses, no grandfathering of equipment or circumstances. Fixes must be made if something is unsafe, and ignorance is no defense. By the discussion here, golf is not quite like that?

Golf is not a work setting, Charlie. I can define unsafe practices in most work places. I can certainly define unsafe practices in constructing a golf course, or for the operating staff who are maintaining a golf course. There are a lot more individual circumstances and variables in playing golf.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2023, 10:05:41 AM by Ally Mcintosh »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2023, 09:57:54 AM »
Ally,

Have you played The Island Club since the changes? Based on our one play, I didn't see a compelling reason to take away the eight Par 4s in a row on the front, but it of course is up to the members. I just hope that the changes were positive.

Thanks.

Ira

The Island is now more setup for the big championships I guess they crave. But the new 8th and 9th are slightly boring and very over-engineered / constructed long par-4's. Individuality has certainly been lost. That's not to say the original holes were great (although I do think the old 7th was) but they could have at least used some of the original landforms to create interest in the new holes. Definitely they have got rid of a pinch-point for infrastructure and spectators though.

Ally,

Thanks. We needed to postpone our visit until next year, but am looking forward to seeing The Island again.

Ira

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2023, 10:14:55 AM »
problems with "safety":

Golf is not a work setting, Charlie. I can define unsafe practices in most work places. I can certainly define unsafe practices in constructing a golf course, or for the operating staff who are maintaining a golf course. There are a lot more individual circumstances and variables in playing golf.

You make a good point and I should have made this connection sooner, but sports/games/recreation in general have different rules than more standard workplaces. Golf courses or ball fields or race car tracks probably couldn't exist if they were subject to the same level of safety as a factory.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »

Still, I am much more interested in attacking the very hit and miss bunker scheme.

Ciao

Sean

What makes the bunkering hit and miss, and what could they do to improve it ?

Niall

The bunkering is all over the place. Some looks very much like Simpson influenced the location and others look to be placed by folks who don't subscribe to Simpson style bunker placement.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2023, 05:31:29 PM »

Still, I am much more interested in attacking the very hit and miss bunker scheme.

Ciao

Sean

What makes the bunkering hit and miss, and what could they do to improve it ?

Niall

The bunkering is all over the place. Some looks very much like Simpson influenced the location and others look to be placed by folks who don't subscribe to Simpson style bunker placement.

Ciao

Pop quiz: Which ones do you think?

I know which ones were his and which ones weren’t as I’ve got very old overheads.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back