News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jake McCarty

Vandenberg Dunes
« on: April 23, 2023, 11:11:57 PM »
Does anyone know about this project? Is it happening, who are the designers, is it a Kaiser project? I grew up in this area, it's really beautiful. 

Tom_Doak

Re: Vandenberg Dunes
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2023, 08:04:06 AM »
It's been in discussion for years, but at this point, it seems to be going nowhere fast.  I don't know very many of the details, but anytime you are negotiating with the government for the property and what you can do with it, it's harder to make things happen.

Jake McCarty

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 10:38:10 AM »
Thank you. Not surprised. Growing up in that area, even a lot of my surf spots were closed and everything always went back to "protect the snowy plover" and "we launch rockets here."

David_Tepper

Tommy Naccarato

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 05:51:34 PM »
Thank you. Not surprised. Growing up in that area, even a lot of my surf spots were closed and everything always went back to "protect the snowy plover" and "we launch rockets here."

Jalama Beach still has a great spring break!  This year, I’m told it’s bern even more incredible!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 03:57:12 AM »
I lived in Lompoc in the 80's and played the AFB course often. Was sad when they closed it but watched for a savior and up until a year ago or so the satellite pictures looked like they were still maintaining the greens on the old course. New satellite pictures show it's pretty much gone now. :(
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2023, 09:17:57 AM »
I used to live in Ventura and play La Purisima regularly. I am not sure if there is a market for a golf resort in Lompoc. I am not sure there is a market for a golf resort anywhere in California due to high land costs. I guess, if you build it they will come, could be the strategy here.

We often thought, could the PGA bring the PGA Championship to La Purisima? Of course not, because it is too far from Santa Barbara. 

I never played the course at the air force base. I did play the RTJ Jr course on San Marcos pass, Rancho San Marcos, but that one closed back in 2019. https://www.suzanneperkins.com/real-estate/just-sold-rancho-san-marcos-in-santa-barbara-offered-at-12000000/

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2023, 06:02:39 PM »
I know a little about this project and it has a pulse.

Mike pulled out of the project about 3 years ago when the obstacles became to much and it would take 3-5 years for approval.  Mikes partner Owen Larkin opted to stay and write a new EIR which showed a new water source since the environmentalists didn't like the idea of using a massive well the Air Force had because that water dumps into the ocean.  I'm unsure about the CCC who think they have jurisdiction but it falls outside of the 2.5 mile boundary. All of this could have been avoided years ago if the Air Force would have had the guts to say this is Federal property and the CCC and others can go fu%k yourselves but they wanted to be good neighbors.   

Regardless, Owen is shepherding this around and it has potential but its going to take a while.   

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2023, 09:17:35 PM »
All of this could have been avoided years ago if the Air Force would have had the guts to say this is Federal property and the CCC and others can go fu%k yourselves but they wanted to be good neighbors.   

Joel I assume this is a bit tongue in cheek?

I've heard joking comments that the AF builds golf courses and then runways. 

Golf doesn't appear to be a priority for the Space Force.  Of the 6 listed Space Force base only 1 has a golf course.  I've played 2 that no longer exist due to water issues (Peterson and Vandeberg).  I don't believe Los Angeles or Schriever ever had a course.  Not sure the history at Buckley Space Force Base.  Common Ground, close to Buckley, was formerly the golf course at now closed Lowry Air Force Base.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back