News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

This is the official sign up for the 2023 Midwest Mashie - Kirtland CC / Cleveland

Also, Enjoy Andy's most recent Fried Egg Post on the 2023 Mashie Site

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxLf34fxbAH/

October 11-12 2023

Schedule

Oct 11, 2023
Late Morning Arrivals Check in
11:30 / Noon Ish Tee Times - Four Ball (East Vs West)
The line of demarcation will likely move to somewhere east of the Mississippi
7pm ish  Dinner at Kirtland / Discussion with club Mgmt and GCA/Nagle

Oct 12, 2023
Early Breakfast and Early AM Tee Times - Singles Matches
Post Round Lunch and Presentation of the Mashie for those not rushing off
Looking into Possible Pre-Play and Replay Rate and additional Rounds in the area. Stay tuned.

2023 Midwest Mashie - Kirtland CC / Cleveland October 11-12 2023 (Not a Sign Up)

The East now holds the Mashie. It is only only fitting that we head east of Lake Michigan to celebrate the reclamation of the Mashie by the East Team. Your Mashie committee is ecstatic to share that the Kirtland Country Club in Cleveland Ohio has graced the Midwest Mashie with two days of golf and camaraderie at their Charles Hugh Alison course.  The club is in the final stages of a dramatic restoration led by Jim Nagle of Forse Design.

Any assemblage of Post-Covid Tee times is rare. Two days of tee times at a course with this level of active GCA is like getting group trail rides on two-horned unicorns. Add to that, there are a lot of GCA inspired events these days. No hate here as GCA Appreciation is a great thing for all of golf. Popularization of GCA appreciation has roots inside of this very organization. We actively applaud, celebrate, and participate in the currently wide demographic of groups holding GCA inspired outings. The fact the Mashie is still able to secure a two-day outing in this climate is a testament to our long history of GCA events, our reverence, and reputation of respect for both the architecture and access.

Thanks to peer pressure, Golf Archie Jimmy Nagle has confirmed that he will join us at the Mashie.

GCAtlas folks that have previously been to Kirtland will be fairly shocked by the transformation. Do not sign up here as we are still finalizing details but do stay tuned for updates. As is the current custom of the Mashie, previous attendees of multiple mashies are offered the chance to pre-register and they are listed below. We have ample room for attendees up to about 40 so join in as we would love to have you and there always seems to end up being room. We have also accommodated a few that have reached out across multiple digital media.

Only sign up on this thread by hitting reply. As always, make sure your GCA messaging contact is up to date as signup confirmations, fees and other details will be sent privately.

Best
V, George, Thurm, Criss and Pat

TO DATE: Here are the attendees: As of Oct 04 2023
1: Vaughn Halyard
2: Jeff Shelman
3: Criss Titschinger
4: George Freeman
5: Jason Thurman
6: Tyler Kearns
7: Jake Marvin
8: Steve Salmen
9: Bill Steele
10: Frank Sekulic
11: Morgan Clawson
12: Mike Treitler
13: Brad Hill
14: Joe Melchiors
15: John Mayhugh
16: Ken Fry
17: Dan Moore
18: Josh Woodward
19: Cal Carlisle
20: Joel Lahrman
21: Mark Studer
22: The Joe Bausch
23: Jay MickleStix
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 12:56:54 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Adam Lawrence

A very cool place. Don't know whether I'll be able to make it, but get GM Mark Petzing to show you Hugh Alison's original letter of engagement, handwritten by him on notepaper from the Statler Hotel in Cleveland (now an apartment block). If he was writing his own terms, safe to say the club was pretty keen to secure his services!

Adam
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

John Mayhugh

Outstanding!

Jason Thurman

9 years later, we return to the city where the East got its first win. This must be what Lebron felt like in the summer of 2014. Except he was coming off a loss in the NBA Finals (which, as you know, are widely considered the Midwest Mashie of Professional Basketball).
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Bill Seitz

... two horned unicorns.

Wouldn't these technically be "bicorns"? 

V_Halyard

... two horned unicorns.

Wouldn't these technically be "bicorns"?

Pondering.
Perhaps, although I believe ”bi” possibly implies an assumption with regard to the 'x'-corn's sexual preferences.
I am however comfortable with "Multi-corn".
« Last Edit: April 22, 2023, 08:19:12 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

PCCraig

This sounds wonderful. I will certainly make it if I can.

Perhaps as a Committee member I should know this, but wanted ton confirm the rough outline of the event? Guessing afternoon round on the 11th, and morning-ish round on the 12th?
H.P.S.

V_Halyard

This sounds wonderful. I will certainly make it if I can.

Perhaps as a Committee member I should know this, but wanted ton confirm the rough outline of the event? Guessing afternoon round on the 11th, and morning-ish round on the 12th?

Correct - Anticipate a traditional Mashie Schedule

Oct 11, 2023
Late Morning Arrivals Check in
11:30 / Noon Ish Tee Times - Four Ball (East Vs West)
The line of demarcation will likely move to somewhere east of the Mississippi
7pm ish  Dinner at Kirtland / Discussion with club Principals and GCA/Nagle

Oct 12, 2023
Early Breakfast and Early AM Tee Times - Singles Matches
Post Round Lunch and Presentation of the Mashie for those not rushing off
Looking into Possible PRe-Play and Replay Rate and additional Rounds in the area. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 10:25:12 PM by V_Halyard »

Cal Carlisle

Vaughn,

Manakiki Golf Course (D. Ross) is one exit away on I-90. I'm sure we could set something up over there. It's about a 10-minute drive from KCC.

Richard Hetzel

I am in for this!
Last 6:
NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Pete Dye River Course (VA)

Mike Treitler

Awesome!  I hope to make my triumphant return this year :)

David Royer

I have had the good fortune to play KCC on a few occasions.  It is a true gem.  One of the best back nines you’ll ever have the chance to play. The Chagrin River bisects the back.  For the ones fortunate to play the Mashie it’ll be a memorable experience.  Enjoy! 

JNagle

Looking forward to the Midwest Mashie.  Kirtland is always a great place to hangout and enjoy the course, Clubhouse, members and their triumvirate of professionals.  Here are some of the details of the work that started late last Summer and is wrapping up this week.  All of the bunkers have been rebuilt.  In 2007 when we completed the last rebuild we didn't have the bunker construction materials (liners) we have today.  That limited our abilities to raise the faces as was seen in many of the old photos of the course.  This go around we were able to flash the faces significantly on the bunkers which has had a very dramatic impact on the course aesthetics.  Alison certainly held true to his liking of deep, bold green side bunkers on many of the holes at KCC.  Fairway bunkers were also rebuilt.  Two added items were the complete rebuild of the 16th green where, while cleaning out the previous green, the team discovered the original clay tiles from the original green.  This enabled us to rebuild the green at the elevation Alison intended.  The front right and middle right of the 3rd green was altered to regain lost hole locations.  For this par 3 the right side has been uncuppable for decades.  These may be come some of the more challenging holes locations on the course.  The 8th hole includes the reinstatement of a cross-bunker jutting into the right side of the fairway.  The bunker was previously added to the left side.  Thankfully, the membership bought into it being properly placed this go around.  Roll-off was added left of the 8th green.  Very little fairway expansions or alterations were added.  Most of these were completed in 2016.  However, the left side of the 14th fairway is likely to be expanded this Fall.  Most of the greens were expanded in either 2007 or 2016.  Structurally not much has changed at Kirtland.  But, the aesthetics and playability of the bunkers has changed drastically.  One added bonus was the reinstatement of a long thin bunker left of the 18th fairway along the fall-off into the woods.  A culling of the trees between 4 & 5, 2, 7 & 8, and quite a few between 15 & 16 has really opened up portions of the property. 

Looking forward to an opening day celebration in early May.  Hope many of you can make it out for the Mashie. 
I will post photos soon.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

Morgan Clawson

Great news!

Ronald Montesano

We have the little sibling of Kirtland here in western New York. (https://www.golfwrx.com/709661/2023-pga-championship-preview-the-other-wny-club-that-hosted-the-pga/)

Park Club is quite reminiscent of its fellow Alison course, and is gentler in every facet: the presence of the river, the fierceness of the greens, the intensity of the vertical drop and rise.

Park does have a Wendehack clubhouse and a really cool 18th green approach. Ian Andrew did fine work rousting Park Club from slumber. I was at Kirtland in 2021, I believe. Loved it.

Still teaching and coaching, so I shan't be at the Mashie. Those who attend will enjoy themselves.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

George Smiltins

Any updates? Might have missed the sign up thread.

Mike Treitler

Was wondering about this also, was there a sign up thread?

Jason Thurman

We do have some space remaining in the event. If you'd like to join, reach out to me via PM and let me know your:
  • Home location (for determining team East vs West, and verifying handicap)
  • Approximate handicap
  • Best e-mail address (for coordinating event details)
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

V_Halyard

Re: OFFICIAL SIGN UP :2023 Midwest Mashie - Kirtland CC / October 11-12 2023
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2023, 01:26:05 PM »
The sign up is live on this thread

V_Halyard

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2023, 01:26:45 PM »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2023, 03:29:30 PM »
I would like to partake in this event. Sign me up!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Jay Mickle

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2023, 02:44:14 PM »
Another Mashie👏👏👏🤗
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

V_Halyard

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2023, 07:05:42 AM »
Mickle has been cleared from injured reserve and has joined the party.

PCCraig

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2023, 11:50:52 AM »
Really really bummed to miss this one.

Next year!!!!
H.P.S.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2023, 01:00:57 AM »
Also bummed to miss this one, but after a member-guest in North Carolina last weekend, and a Fried Egg event at Kingsley this weekend, I just couldn't swing another couple days off in such close proximity. Hope everyone has a great time.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back