News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_beene

Andrew Green
« on: April 19, 2023, 10:50:14 PM »
Thoughts on his work. Inverness, Congressional or elsewhere.

mike_malone

Re: Andrew Green
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 11:46:10 PM »
I’m a Flynnophile and look forward to seeing The Naval Academy and he must be hot because now he is doing Indian Creek.

Here in Philly he cut his teeth on Sunnybrook which is a very solid course.
AKA Mayday

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 12:08:52 AM »
I have played the following five redo's by Andrew Green...and had played all 5 prior to his work (although in some cases decades earlier):

Inverness (OH)
Congressional-Blue (MD)
Wannaimoisett (RI)
Scioto (OH)
Oak Hill-East (NY)

All five efforts IMO are absolutely superb.  I had all but given up on two of these five (Congressional and Oak Hill) and those two transformations are really incredible.

His work at Inverness I think may be his best...and the work at Scioto may be his boldest.  In fact...I sense that he has gotten bolder with each job (which given the generally high reviews he has received is not surprising).  I believe the chron order of these five is Oak Hill, Inverness, Congressional, Wannamoisett, and Scioto.  I would note that all of the above are bent grass but note that he just finished work at Indian Creek (FL) which I am playing later this week (last played about 25 years ago) and which is obviously Bermuda.  Do not think he has designed an original course yet but I have heard he will be doing that sort of effort in Michigan (am not at liberty to reveal course name) basically bulldozing the current course and rebuilding on that land plus an additional parcel next door that has been acquired.

In summary, I think he is the "leader of the pack" of the generation that is following Coore/Crenshaw/Doak/ Hanse (listed in alpha order).

His next test may well be whether he has the discipline to not get overloaded with too many commitments...or the ability to really staff up with first rate talent.

Michael George

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 11:08:50 AM »
I thought he did a nice job at Congressional.    Not overly excited about the pictures from Indian Creek though:

Andrew Green reinfuses Flynn character at Indian Creek
« Last Edit: April 20, 2023, 11:10:43 AM by Michael George »
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Kyle Casella

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »
I thought he did a nice job at Congressional.    Not overly excited about the pictures from Indian Creek though:

Michael- have you played Indian Creek prior to the work? This hole looks better to me and overall it appears they have opened up the vistas and restored many original features. I have heard good things so far from those that have played before and after.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2023, 03:48:32 PM »
Whitemarsh Valley CC and Manasquan River GC don’t seem to get talked about as much as some of the more high profile clubs he has worked at but are both a joy to play.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2023, 04:19:18 PM »
He's starting on East Lake after the Tour Championship, and it's supposedly going to be a pretty significant renovation. I believe they're moving several greens.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2023, 05:05:16 PM »
Whitemarsh Valley CC and Manasquan River GC don’t seem to get talked about as much as some of the more high profile clubs he has worked at but are both a joy to play.

Tim,

Is he responsible for the infinity green on the short Par 3?
Tim Weiman

Tim Martin

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2023, 05:43:33 PM »

Tim,

Tim-That’s the 9th and a great little hole. I can’t speak to what was behind that green in the way of trees before his involvement although there isn’t much room behind it until you get to that club road. The Philly guys would probably have the answer.

Rick Sides

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2023, 06:45:34 PM »
He’s going to be doing the Union League In Philly and I’m sure it’s going to be amazing !

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2023, 07:25:45 PM »
He’s going to be doing the Union League In Philly and I’m sure it’s going to be amazing !

Rick,

I think that that land can support a great course.
AKA Mayday

Bill Gayne

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2023, 08:40:45 PM »
My home club, the Foundry in Powhatan Virginia, recently engaged him to do bunker and master plan work. He did previous work with the Foundry when he worked for McDonald and Sons. I think he did a fantastic job at Congressional from the limited amount that I've seen.

Looking forward to seeing more of his work.

Mike_Young

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2023, 09:29:09 PM »

In summary, I think he is the "leader of the pack" of the generation that is following Coore/Crenshaw/Doak/ Hanse (listed in alpha order).

I like what I have seen of his rework.  Where I become confused with so many on this site is how this type of work is compared with Doak, Coore,Hanse etc.  Reworking an existing vs. routing your own are two entirely different exercises...can you explain?
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2023, 09:49:50 PM »
I believe Inverness was the commission that got him all the rest. It came first.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

Max Prokopy

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2023, 10:09:57 PM »
My home club, the Foundry in Powhatan Virginia, recently engaged him to do bunker and master plan work. He did previous work with the Foundry when he worked for McDonald and Sons. I think he did a fantastic job at Congressional from the limited amount that I've seen.

Looking forward to seeing more of his work.
Bill, that's an interesting course, though never played.  We did some recruiting at the AJGA there and appeared to have a ton of variety.  Interesting routing. 

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 11:18:35 PM »

Tim,

Tim-That’s the 9th and a great little hole. I can’t speak to what was behind that green in the way of trees before his involvement although there isn’t much room behind it until you get to that club road. The Philly guys would probably have the answer.
Tim:

I played the course in the early 1980s and there were trees behind the green.
Tim Weiman

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2023, 03:08:59 AM »

I like what I have seen of his rework.  Where I become confused with so many on this site is how this type of work is compared with Doak, Coore,Hanse etc.  Reworking an existing vs. routing your own are two entirely different exercises...can you explain?

Mike--

Fair comment.  Do not think he has done an original course yet...although as I mentioned believe he is starting one in Michigan soon (essentailly new).  So "leader of pack regarding retro/reno" would be more accurate description of what I think.

Paul

Matt Wharton

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2023, 06:14:35 AM »
I believe Inverness was the commission that got him all the rest. It came first.
You may be correct Ronald, but if I recall correctly he was hired by Oak Hill, which the entire world will get to see in a few weeks when they host the PGA Championship, before Inverness. I think Oak Hill led to Inverness, then Inverness led to all that have followed.
Matthew Wharton, CGCS, MG
Idle Hour CC
Lexington, KY

Connor Lewis

« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2023, 09:16:03 AM »
I will be interviewing Andrew Green for my podcast on the History and Restoration of Oak Hill CC. I think most of you will find it fascinating because I will be walking through all of the changes that were made to Oak Hill that drifted from Ross’ original plans.

Then Andrew will discuss how he restored each hole, followed by a bit of history behind each hole.

Should be a good listen.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2023, 09:17:10 AM »

Also listed by age, oldest to youngest.  ;) :D

There are a ton of people doing really good work these days.  Anointing anyone the leader of the pack is kind of silly.  But, yes, Andrew is definitely one of the busiest guys in restoration / renovation now that some of us have moved back to doing new courses.

Mike Worth

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 10:56:03 AM »
He also redid Bidermann in Delaware —

I only play there once or twice a year, but his renovations (tree removal, redoing bunkers), was quite evident.

As a some time visitor to the course, it felt like he picked the right trees to prune and remove. He didn’t overdo it or under do it.

Rick Sides

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2023, 06:23:31 PM »
Mike M,
Union League definitely is a nice piece of property and will be better when Andrew is done . I was over there this month they are working on a par 3 course

Paul Rudovsky

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2023, 07:38:20 PM »
Played Indian Creek today.  This has to be fairly brief as I am on a plane that will depart soon. 

Had last played Indian Creek about 25 years ago and did not remember much of the course (but sure did remember #12 and #13).  I found it interesting in comparison to the work he did at Scioto, Congressional and Oak Hill...those three are big and bold...Indian Creek is very subtle IMO...brilliantly so and he really brought it back to wonderful life without reducing the subtlety.  I sense it shows a real ability to adapt his work to the origins of the original course.  Subtle but you better beware of your angles, options and the changing slopes on the greens

Another superb job IMO. 

Stewardess saying something about large electronic equipment...off to Sao Paulo Brazil and then Rio

Craig Disher

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2023, 10:21:13 PM »

Michael- have you played Indian Creek prior to the work? This hole looks better to me and overall it appears they have opened up the vistas and restored many original features. I have heard good things so far from those that have played before and after.
I guess this is 13. Why the extra bunkers? Were they considered necessary to improve the hole? I loved course prior to the redo but can't really make a fair assessment without seeing the rest. The location and numbers of bunkers on the original seemed pretty near perfect.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2023, 12:00:13 AM »
He is working at Interlachen CC in Edina, MN this year.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back