News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

AChao

Re: La Costa, NCAA's, Hanse
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2023, 08:18:04 PM »
I don't get hosting the national championship for college on the same course every year in a location that clearly favors certain schools by a lot. 

If I were in charge, I'd rotate it through the country in at least four distinct locations (i.e. two coasts and midwest) every 4 years.  I would also want the courses to be designed by different architects with different grasses.
To me, being at La Costa every year makes it the Carlsbad Invitational rather than the national championship. 

(I do wonder if there are massive problems finding host sites or if there is a lot of money involved in some way.) 

Kyle Casella

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2023, 02:40:52 PM »
I don't get hosting the national championship for college on the same course every year in a location that clearly favors certain schools by a lot. 

If I were in charge, I'd rotate it through the country in at least four distinct locations (i.e. two coasts and midwest) every 4 years.  I would also want the courses to be designed by different architects with different grasses.
To me, being at La Costa every year makes it the Carlsbad Invitational rather than the national championship. 

(I do wonder if there are massive problems finding host sites or if there is a lot of money involved in some way.)

It is challenging for them to find sites because it is a 7-8 day commitment for the golf course and there is not a lot of money involved. That being said they have had some good sites since switching to the match play format including Riviera, Honors Club, Prairie Dunes, and Inverness.

For those worried about a West Coast advantage, I am not sure if you've seen the schedules for college golfers. There isn't exactly a ton of free time to visit courses randomly just to have a look. Even those in the LA area might struggle to get down there to play. There hasn't historically been a correlation between local geography and local winner, so I am not sure why there would be going forward (Texas won at Riviera, Stanford won in Arkansas, Cal won at the Homestead, etc, etc, etc).

Max Prokopy

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2023, 03:49:00 PM »

It is challenging for them to find sites because it is a 7-8 day commitment for the golf course and there is not a lot of money involved. That being said they have had some good sites since switching to the match play format including Riviera, Honors Club, Prairie Dunes, and Inverness.

For those worried about a West Coast advantage, I am not sure if you've seen the schedules for college golfers. There isn't exactly a ton of free time to visit courses randomly just to have a look. Even those in the LA area might struggle to get down there to play. There hasn't historically been a correlation between local geography and local winner, so I am not sure why there would be going forward (Texas won at Riviera, Stanford won in Arkansas, Cal won at the Homestead, etc, etc, etc).

It is challenging but a lot of member clubs are interested.  As for the teams that win at various places, you can always find those examples but that doesn't negate the influence of the site choice. 

I've been pretty heavily involved with a prominent program and yes the teams do in fact consider where NCAA finals are in terms of where they commit and where they might extend a tournament trip for a site visit.  It does matter.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2023, 09:37:35 PM »
Just found these online. Maybe somebody who's really good with maps and plans can figure out what Gil's doing besides moving the 8th tee 90 to the left. (Incidentally, I made it into an NCGA rules slideshow based on my play on that hole in the Cal Am a few years ago, when I hit it OB from a penalty area next to the green.)

https://records.carlsbadca.gov/WebLink/DocView.aspx?id=6394283&dbid=0&repo=CityofCarlsbad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back