News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

A Copy of Aleck Bauer’s ‘Hazards’.
« on: April 18, 2023, 06:22:16 AM »

I’ve been looking for this book for ages, but the only ones I ever see are a FORTUNE to buy. Then, on AbeBooks, I found a company in India who do digital reprints of rare books to order. They only quoted about £25 for a copy, so I thought, “why not”?
The book took about six weeks to order, be produced and sent halfway around the world. So far, it seems to have been - mostly - worth the wait. Looks like a great read and, of course, the illustrations are great. On the downside, they’ve missed a few pages including the damn Redan drawing I really wanted to see. On the upside, it seems to be a really decent binding with even a bit of leather. It’s quite small, mind you. Just bigger than A5, I guess. Interesting process which I was a bit worried might be a scam at first but all went well!

Happy to pass their details if anyone wants to try the rollercoaster!
Happy Reading!
F.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 06:26:28 AM by Marty Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

Re: A Copy of Aleck Bauer’s ‘Hazards’.
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 07:03:52 AM »
FBD

Please forward the details to me.

See the NB thread for the Redan sketch from the book. I found it on Twitter some years ago. Tim Gallant may have a copy of the book.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Winterfield & Alnmouth

Tim Gallant

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2023, 07:20:23 AM »
FBD

See the NB thread for the Redan sketch from the book. I found it on Twitter some years ago. Tim Gallant may have a copy of the book.

Ciao

I don't have a copy, but recently viewed the book at the Scottish National Library in their reading room. I don't think I'm allowed to post photos here, but there are diagrams of holes like the Redan, Perfection, Eden and Long to name a few. It's a unique book, and I'll need to go back some day to actually read some of the articles contained within the book.

I was mainly interested in the Redan diagram to show what the hole looked like a hundred years ago. Will some of the scale of the bunkers be recaptured?? Time will tell ;)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2023, 08:57:47 AM »
FBD

Ciao

PM sent.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2023, 09:00:33 AM »
FBD

Ciao

I don't have a copy, but recently viewed the book at the Scottish National Library in their reading room. I don't think I'm allowed to post photos here, but there are diagrams of holes like the Redan, Perfection, Eden and Long to name a few. It's a unique book, and I'll need to go back some day to actually read some of the articles contained within the book.

I was mainly interested in the Redan diagram to show what the hole looked like a hundred years ago. Will some of the scale of the bunkers be recaptured?? Time will tell ;)

Tim,
Can you remember offhand how many pages there were? This copy has 61 with a few missing in between. The last page is the plan of the 15th at Gullane.
Cheers,
F.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2023, 09:11:44 AM »
There is a free version of this book in the USGA Seagle archives:

Click this link:

https://digitalarchives.usga.org:8463/library/index.php/

Click Browse Collections at the top right of the page, select “Books” then click Page 3 and you will find the digital version towards the bottom of the page. 

Abe Books finds these free digital versions of books online and then prints them into hard copies.  If Abe books is selling them, you can probably find them for free online with a few searches.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2023, 09:15:32 AM »
There is a free version of this book in the USGA Seagle archives:

Click this link:

https://digitalarchives.usga.org:8463/library/index.php/

Click Browse Collections at the top right of the page, select “Books” then click Page 3 and you will find the digital version towards the bottom of the page. 

Abe Books finds these free digital versions of books online and then prints them into hard copies.  If Abe books is selling them, you can probably find them for free online with a few searches.

Good find, Bret, but the quality of the pdf is pretty rubbish. Have you tried printing it at all? The print quality of the Indian version is pretty decent.
Cheers,
F.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 09:29:47 AM by Marty Bonnar »

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2023, 09:25:27 AM »
Marty,

I have not tried printing them, and I agree the scan was not very clear, but I thought it would help answer your questions about the number of pages and others could see what you guys were talking about. The USGA Museum has the original copy and with a modern high resolution scanner they could give us a clearer version.  You can also find some of Abe’s “rare” books on babelhathitrust.  The HathiTrust website may have a clearer scan of this same book?

Bret

P.S. Direct links expire very quickly from the USGA website, that’s why I went with the indirect version above

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2023, 09:30:42 AM »
Yeah, I noticed that and removed it.

Bret Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2023, 09:43:02 AM »
Marty,

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.  I haven’t looked at it in a few years.  Some great hole layouts to look at. The USGA version also includes the Redan on page 58 and 59, which you have probably noticed by now,

Bret

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2023, 09:48:48 AM »
Oh, I’ve seen it many, many times the last ten years. Just wanted to see it in proper context for once!

;D ;D ;D
F.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 11:00:54 AM »
Bauer’s work was the inspiration for Mark Fine and I to write Bunkers, Pits & Other Hazards. One of the best lines by Bauer is contained in the title itself — how many books can claim that? — “Hazards … Those essential elements in a golf course that without which the game would be tame and uninteresting”

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Josh Bills

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 11:07:21 AM »
Haithi Trust Digital Archive version has "The Redan" pages missing.  I'm guessing maybe that is where they printed your version from.  The pages that are there are clearer, but does no good if they are missing what you need. 

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.31158012580444&view=1up&seq=59

If this scanned book is correct on page number 3 it is handwritten and says "To Robert Hunter Compliments William Watson" interesting that those pages are missing.  Good luck finding them in usable form FBD.

Josh

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2023, 11:17:11 AM »
I'm in the middle of selling a fairly old bottle of whisky. If it reaches a decent sum, guess what I'm buying (as well as a new Les Paul!)
 8)
F.

SL_Solow

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2023, 12:40:46 PM »
I have a copy of a limited edition reprint from Grant Books circa 1993.  It has the benefit of a Foreword by Peter Thompson, an introduction by Fred Hawtree and contributions from Peter Dobreiner and Philip A. Truett as well as the original introduction.  One of my favorites.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2023, 04:00:37 PM »

I’ve been looking for this book for ages, but the only ones I ever see are a FORTUNE to buy. Then, on AbeBooks, I found a company in India who do digital reprints of rare books to order. They only quoted about £25 for a copy, so I thought, “why not”?
The book took about six weeks to order, be produced and sent halfway around the world. So far, it seems to have been - mostly - worth the wait. Looks like a great read and, of course, the illustrations are great. On the downside, they’ve missed a few pages including the damn Redan drawing I really wanted to see. On the upside, it seems to be a really decent binding with even a bit of leather. It’s quite small, mind you. Just bigger than A5, I guess. Interesting process which I was a bit worried might be a scam at first but all went well!

Happy to pass their details if anyone wants to try the rollercoaster!
Happy Reading!
F.

Marty,

I’m curious how that works. Does Abe Books partner with that company in India?

How does one find out of a book Abe Books has for sale could be re-printed?

Thanks!
Tim Weiman

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2023, 04:55:53 PM »
Hi Tim,
I just searched for the book title using AbeBooks search function. I was really looking for an old copy or the reprint. Not finding any of those, I noted that SN Books World had replied with their details for the digital reprint with leather binding, etc. They quoted fifteen quid for the book and ten for the postage. I PLACED the order for the book with AbeBooks, who confirmed it , then passed it to the bookseller, SN, who then passed me their invoice through Paypal. I paid it using PayPal as I do with a lot of internet purchases so felt pretty safe. All went pretty smoothly.
Cheers,
F.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »
Peter Yagi ( peteyagi@gmail.com ) just listed one in his catalog.  The 1993 reprint, which is a limited edition of 750.
Price is $245

Niall C

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 06:38:50 AM »
Grant Books in the UK did a reprint a number of years ago that sold out. That might be the reprint that Petr Yagi has in his catalogue. Grant Books now have a box set "A Pentalogy of Golf Architecture Classics..." with reprints of the following;

Hazards - Aleck Bauer
Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture - Colt & Alison
Golf Architecture - MacKenzie
The Architectural Side of Golf - Wethered & Simpson
Golf Course Design - Cornish & Hurdzan

The books are paperback but come in a slipcase. Quite a neat package and only £67 although with Grant Books it is usually quite hefty postage.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2023, 06:42:19 AM »
N,
I saw that package and it looks nice but I’ve got all of the others so didn’t want to go down that route!
M.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2023, 05:44:15 PM »
Grant Books in the UK did a reprint a number of years ago that sold out. That might be the reprint that Petr Yagi has in his catalogue. Grant Books now have a box set "A Pentalogy of Golf Architecture Classics..." with reprints of the following;

Hazards - Aleck Bauer
Some Essays on Golf Course Architecture - Colt & Alison
Golf Architecture - MacKenzie
The Architectural Side of Golf - Wethered & Simpson
Golf Course Design - Cornish & Hurdzan

[size=78%]The books are paperback but come in a slipcase. Quite a neat package and only £67 although with Grant Books it is usually quite hefty postage.[/size]

Niall
Niall,
Yes it is one of the Grant reprints, and is signed by Shirley Grant.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back