News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

St George's Hill - New Consulting Architects
« on: April 11, 2023, 06:27:29 AM »
Surprised this hasn't been reported here yet, but St George's Hill has appointed Renaissance Design and Evalu18 as consulting architects for the club/courses. A press release can be found here:

https://twitter.com/bschneider126/status/1643973093465915392/photo/2

Without knowing too much of the detail, it looks like a master plan will be pulled together, and a restoration will follow.

Ben Stephens

Re: St George's Hill - New Consulting Architects
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 11:40:28 AM »
Congrats to Brian - I am sure he will do a nice job however not sure if Evalu 18 has any project management experience on any course in the UK let alone a significant course such as St Georges Hill. Would be interested to know where Evalu 18 have worked. 

I am disappointed for Tim Lobb of Lobb and Partners who I know - Tim had been the consulting Golf Course Architect for St Georges Hill for the last 12 years and has done some nice work. Knowing Tim he would be disappointed not to have a chance to restore the look of the 8th hole.  Tim is currently or has been working on Woking, Worplesdon and is the consulting Architect for Perranporth and Highgate. He used to work with the legendary Peter Thomson.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 12:04:13 PM »

I am disappointed for Tim Lobb of Lobb and Partners who I know - Tim had been the consulting Golf Course Architect for St Georges Hill for the last 12 years and has done some nice work. Knowing Tim he would be disappointed not to have a chance to restore the look of the 8th hole. 

I am not involved in consulting work anymore, apart from giving my associates a nice recommendation.

I'm sure Tim Lobb does some great work [I've not seen any of those clubs you mention since he started].  But if he was going to restore the 8th hole, why did he not do it in the course of twelve years working there?  It would take about a week's worth of work.  Maybe the club weren't ready to go that way, but by the same measure he must not have been pushing them in that direction very hard, either.

I'm sure that Tim Jackson could have restored all of Bel Air, too, if that's what he had wanted to do.  He's a talented guy.  Instead he drew plans that kept veering further and further away from that.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 12:20:54 PM »

I am disappointed for Tim Lobb of Lobb and Partners who I know - Tim had been the consulting Golf Course Architect for St Georges Hill for the last 12 years and has done some nice work. Knowing Tim he would be disappointed not to have a chance to restore the look of the 8th hole. 

I am not involved in consulting work anymore, apart from giving my associates a nice recommendation.

I'm sure Tim Lobb does some great work [I've not seen any of those clubs you mention since he started].  But if he was going to restore the 8th hole, why did he not do it in the course of twelve years working there?  It would take about a week's worth of work.  Maybe the club weren't ready to go that way, but by the same measure he must not have been pushing them in that direction very hard, either.

I'm sure that Tim Jackson could have restored all of Bel Air, too, if that's what he had wanted to do.  He's a talented guy.  Instead he drew plans that kept veering further and further away from that.

Very likely that the club wasn't ready to do so then under their previous management I suspect knowing Tim. Tim restored the 13th bunkers at Worplesdon nicely as it looks great in the photos. The 2nd at Woking has been transformed with a bit of heather restoration it looks like it has been there a few years - the head greenskeeper Andy Ewence has done a very good job at Woking and I once saw Andy do a presentation in front of EIGCA members and he came out very knowledgeable.

https://twitter.com/LOBBandPARTNERS/status/1599004853652815872?cxt=HHwWgIDQgamc57AsAAAA

https://twitter.com/LOBBandPARTNERS/status/1598751899167076352?cxt=HHwWgMCtnbeY9K8sAAAA

Tim has also been working at Huntercombe and Blackmoor.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 12:23:18 PM by Ben Stephens »

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 12:43:29 PM »
Ben

Are you Tim's PR agent now?
2024: Royal St. David's; Mill Ride; Milford; Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Addington, Parkstone

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 12:58:48 PM »
Ben

::)

I have personally congratulated Brian and wished him all the best on this project - he is certainly one of the best upcoming golf course architects over the last few years - Llanerch, Old Barnwell, Hollywood and so on. He has experienced working in UK like at Woodhall Spa.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 04:27:07 PM by Ben Stephens »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2023, 07:25:56 AM »
Ben

I have personally congratulated Brian and wished him all the best on this project - he is certainly one of the best upcoming golf course architects over the last few years - Llanerch, Old Barnwell, Hollywood and so on. He has experienced working in UK like at Woodhall Spa.
But who benefits from your speculation here?  I'm not sure anyone does.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2023, 08:47:22 AM »
Ben

But who benefits from your speculation here?  I'm not sure anyone does.

Mark - no one does

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back