News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

V_Halyard

UPDATED: July 15 2023
LANCASTER IS ON- Sign up by replying to this thread only
See Rory's Comments below in this Thread

Timing Arrive starting 11:30
Tee Off at 1P
We are doing some 2024 U.S. Women's Open film work and the club graciously agreed to host "interested parties" including GCA friends and fam.

Registered GCA Cost (Must Sign up on this thread or feel free to PM me here on the GCA Messenger)
Fees
$150 Golf/WALK - Post Round Food/Non Alcoholic Beverages
$150 Golf/CART - Post Round Food/Non Alcoholic Beverages
Caddies Available - Suggested 100 + (Note on Reply if you want a caddie)

July 20, 2023 Lancaster Shotgun + After Golf Dinner/ChatNoon-ish - ShotgunPost Round - Buffet/Grill/ Casual DinnerChat with:
- Insights from Rory Connaughton Green Chair and potentially other US Women's Open Team
- Jim Nagle - GCArchie overseeing the Flynn Restoration
- Josh Saunders - Dir of Ag
- Chat with Joe Bausch and Mike Cirba, who will read us in on their profound and excellent Cobb's Creek Project!
- Brief Update on the Tumblebrook Restoration
___
Background:
I was in a meeting with our GCA pal Rory Connaughton and actual GCArchie Jim Nagle discussing USGA Media and other items in advance of next year's U.S Women's Open. The scope of work done at Lancaster is pretty astonishing. We were laughing that the GCAtlas crew of geeks would find the transformation over the last two years fascinating. Too bad we couldn't hold an event. 

Rory Says " Who says we cant?" 
So Rory, Super-Josh Saunders, and PGA Pro the infamous "Gibby" made it happen.
Here is what they cooked up for us.

V
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 07:36:41 AM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Rory Connaughton

We have had a few fun GCA days at LCC over the years but nothing, to my recollection, since 2014 ahead of the last Women's Open.
Looking forward to sharing the great work executed by Jim Nagle/Forse Design with the assistance of our superintendent extraordinaire, Josh Saunders, over the last two years.

With a Women's Open next year, I'm looking forward to welcoming some of you back and to welcoming many for the first time.

Many thanks to Vaughn for leading the charge!

-Rory

Tim Martin

I attended an event ten or so years ago at Lancaster CC that was set up by Rory. The golf course, setting, food and atmosphere are all first rate. Not unlike the Philadelphia Flynn courses the land is perfectly suited for compelling golf and Flynn took full advantage. Anyone that can attend won’t be disappointed. :)

archie_struthers

8)

hope to attend   sounds great

MCirba

The work that has been done at Lancaster over the past few years is extraordinary and those attending will see the fruits of those labors.

Anyone sticking around in town the next day for the TBD tour of Cobb's Creek under construction will provide insight into what those type of labors entail for a successful outcome.   Not sure exactly what point we'll be at by then but maybe I'll work on getting a special guest or two.   Joe and I will just have to coordinate with the CC Foundation to ensure we can get around safely.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Joe Bausch

I’ve been fortunate to know Rory and many others at LCC for, wow, approaching 15 years now.

It is one of my favorite clubs anywhere.

Seems like yesterday they were hosting their 1st US Women’s Open and the way the community supported this event was like I’ve never seen anywhere before. In Gee Chun made her splash upon the world stage and she is forever grateful to LCC and the greater Lancaster area.

I so look forward to this event and I know it will be memorable.

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

John Kirk

I've played there, about 15-18 years ago.  What a great place!

I doubt I can make it, but that is a wonderful opportunity.

Tom_Doak

Lancaster is a great course . . . it was my choice as Flynn's representative course in The Confidential Guide back in the day. 

It was great 30 years ago, so I can't imagine what extraordinary work needed to be done there?  But I guess there were a lot of unnecessary trees, and they would have only gotten bigger.

In consideration of the recent thread about "location", though, I will say I always wondered if Manufacturers were in Lancaster and Lancaster CC were closer in to Philly, if Manufacturers would be the one that people raved about. Being next door to Huntingdon Valley is a tougher draw.

mike_malone

Lancaster is a great course . . . it was my choice as Flynn's representative course in The Confidential Guide back in the day. 

It was great 30 years ago, so I can't imagine what extraordinary work needed to be done there?  But I guess there were a lot of unnecessary trees, and they would have only gotten bigger.

In consideration of the recent thread about "location", though, I will say I always wondered if Manufacturers were in Lancaster and Lancaster CC were closer in to Philly, if Manufacturers would be the one that people raved about. Being next door to Huntingdon Valley is a tougher draw.

Tom,

On your way out of Philly and the strong contingent of Flynns you come upon Lehigh before Lancaster. It’s special also.

Arguing about Philly Flynns is almost useless. It’s pretty much a personal preference. My personal preference is the most challenging land throughout. 

I love Lancaster and Rory but might be on holiday with the family.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2023, 10:35:14 PM by mike_malone »
AKA Mayday

Rory Connaughton

@Mayday, love you too. Hopefully, you will be around that day so we can renew our Enniscrone debate. ;D

The course opened for play on Saturday for the first time with all work having been completed. It was very well received by the members.

One of our primary goals was to add some variety to the length of approach shots required on the opening 5 holes and I think that has been achieved without sacrificing the character of that stretch of short par 4s.

For those who have not been to LCC for a while, you will see the reinstatement of some elements that had been lost to time including the conjoined 2/9 fairway, as well as some very long views across the property and down the river that have been closed off for over 60 years.

13 has also been modified in multiple ways, including removal of the stand of trees at the top of the bluff, to add variety to the second shot and allow the golfer who plays to the right off the tee to go for it in 2.

I'll spare you my clunky descriptions of the remaining work but I think that those who join us will enjoy it a great deal.

JNagle

Spent a bit of time last Saturday musing over the recent work and conditions at LCC.  Each visit seems to reveal something else that grabs my eye.  This visit it was the view from the Blue tee (near the bridge crossing the Conestoga) looking down the hole and seeing the cleared hillside nearest the green and below the 2nd tees.  What has transpired in recent years is the revealing of the scale of the property and elevation changes that have not been felt for decades.  The vistas across the property have been opened up with clusters of trees remaining to frame many of the views. 

As for the course itself, a number of holes were slightly altered to account for changes in play due to tree removals, player abilities, and (the all too common) advances in equipment.  Some existing bunkers were enlarged and orientations altered to encroach closer to the line-of-play.  This occurred on holes 1, 3, 9, 13, 14 and 18.  Bunkers were added to holes 1, 2&9, 10, 11, 13, 14, and 15.  #13 is the one hole receiving most of the changes with bunkers replacing a copse of pines and oak on the inside corner of the 2nd LZ.  This opens up the approach to the green and reinstates more shot options rather than a forces lay-up.  The single bunkers add to the 1st, 10th, 11th, and 15th holes provide greater challenge to the longer hitters who now have to think about shot placement off the tees.  The removal and decline of many trees left some bail-out areas and alternate (not preferred) playing angles into some greens.  One change I really like is the removal of the trees between 2 and 9 and the joining of the fairways.  A bunker was reinstated between the two holes but brought back closer to the 9th tees.  The bunker also provides an aiming point from the 2nd tees and helps frame the hole and completes the visual enhancement of the 2nd hole with the tree removals and fairway expansion to the left.  The 3rd and 16th holes involved some shifting of the fairway bunkers in an attempt to enhance the strategies off the tee.  With 16, previously there wasn't enough of a shot difference for someone who decided to not tempt the bunkers left versus those that did.  A great deal of back and forth on the hole has now created some tension for those opting to play away in the form of a longer approach to the green versus a shorter approach after having played closer to the bunkers.  The 14th holes was becoming a bit of a mockery.  Elevated tee shot with declining and reduced trees wasn't helping the play of the hole.  Now a copse of three bunkers sits to the inside of the dogleg with the two outer bunkers being shifted slightly. 

New tees have been implemented on numerous holes.  The one tee that seems to have reinstated some challenge is on the 11th hole.  Flynn originally set the 11th at around 476 yards.  We've got that back and now rather than approaching with a shorter club, we are seeing 4I, 5I and Rescue clubs into the green. 

Overall, the course will shine during next years Women's Open.  Josh Saunders and his team have the course Tournament ready now.  Should be a great event.

It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or the doer of deeds could have done better.  The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; .....  "The Critic"

mike_malone

@Mayday, love you too. Hopefully, you will be around that day so we can renew our Enniscrone debate. ;D

The course opened for play on Saturday for the first time with all work having been completed. It was very well received by the members.

One of our primary goals was to add some variety to the length of approach shots required on the opening 5 holes and I think that has been achieved without sacrificing the character of that stretch of short par 4s.

For those who have not been to LCC for a while, you will see the reinstatement of some elements that had been lost to time including the conjoined 2/9 fairway, as well as some very long views across the property and down the river that have been closed off for over 60 years.

13 has also been modified in multiple ways, including removal of the stand of trees at the top of the bluff, to add variety to the second shot and allow the golfer who plays to the right off the tee to go for it in 2.

I'll spare you my clunky descriptions of the remaining work but I think that those who join us will enjoy it a great deal.

Rory,

I return to Enniscrone in September and look forward to the wonderful holes it has.
AKA Mayday

archie_struthers

:D

Mayday is so right about Lehigh, it's special too. That Flynn guy was quite the artist!

Jim Sherma

Any updates on this?

Mike Hendren

Mayday is so right about Lehigh, it's special too. That Flynn guy was quite the artist!

Any recent Redanman sightings.  I miss the doctor.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

mike_malone

Redanman has moved south. I did have an exchange with him about updates that make me like Lehigh even more.
AKA Mayday

Joe Bausch

Any recent Redanman sightings.  I miss the doctor.

Hung out with Bond and the Mrs about a month ago.  All's good!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Rory Connaughton

Friends,

As a follow up, we are a go for July 20th.

Golf at 1 pm

Drinks/dinner to follow

Round Table with Jim Nagle and Josh Saunders

to be followed by Mike Cirba and Joe Bausch

For those of you who are familiar with the course, the work that
was completed last year has had a very positive impact on
strategy, playability and aesthetics that I think you will enjoy.

We have some interesting topography and the almost total tree removal on 2/7 hill and the grove between
11, 14 and 15 has been a game changer.

The pool has also been relocated.

We raise the USGA Flag on Friday so this will present a great opportunity for a preview of next year's Women's Open Venue.

If you plan on attending, just post here or send me a message.

Caddies will be available.

Total cost of golf and food/bev is $150.

Hope to see some old friends and make some new ones.

Best. -Rory

Jim Sherma

Rory - I’m good for it.

Rory Connaughton

Look forward to seeing you, Jim.
Feel fee to arrive a little early to hit balls etc.

Ed Brzezowski

I'd love at attend, just to see Jim point at things.    please let me know.

thanks'
ed
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

V_Halyard

I'd love at attend, just to see Jim point at things.    please let me know.

thanks'
ed
Just updated. see you there
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Rory Connaughton

Ed,

Let me know if you walk with caddy or ride.

Also

Alcoholic beverages are included with the cost.

MCirba

to be followed by Mike Cirba and Joe Bausch

Ugh...not those guys.

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Ed Brzezowski

Rory     walk or ride     whatever is best to make it all happen.

ed

can i wear my MAGA hat?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back